Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. I'll just get straight to the point.

I recently purchased a 2017 GT, but it's and automatic. :(

I didn't have a choice as I am trying to build my credit and I needed something reliable and the Hyundai was my first choice from what I was given.

Now my question is if anyone knows how difficult/how much it would cost to put in a manual transmission as I am going to have this car for awhile and I want to enjoy it. I originally drove a 99' Honda Accord that was a 5 speed manual and it was and is a blast (GF drives it now). So I'm looking into getting this GT a manual transmission down the road.

I don't know anything about this car so I'm taking baby steps along with learning about cars anyways, so bare with me here I'm a noob.

I also plan on getting a turbo'd motor or putting one into it, but again I have no knowledge of the engine and if one can even be installed into it.

Sorry if I sound crazy these are just questions I have and what better place than to ask EVERYONE else that has Elantra GT's.

Thanks in advance guys, any help means a lot!:liebe011:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I once took an automatic 89 civic wagon and swapped a bigger motor with a manual trans. Everything for that swap was readily available at local junkyards plus there was more than enough info online from others who have done similar projects. It ended up being fairly easy but very time consuming. Problem with swapping the trans in an egt is not many have tried before you if any. Being a newer vehicle parts won't be as easy to find cheap either. I'm sure its doable but the question is at what cost?

As for boosting the egt. There are a few kits out there for the 2.0 gdi NU engine but there is no good way to control fuel. No one makes a piggyback that can handle the voltage of gdi injectors. I've asked around to some of the places that offer tunes for the na motor to see if they would be willing to work with me to develop some kind of base tune to run boost but no one is too eager to jump on that.

Good luck with the new vehicle. Happy modding!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’ve been there before. It’s a terrible idea. You should of purchased a manual transmission vehicle with a turbo. That vehicle would preferably have a large aftermarket. Then you build from there.

You wrote about building your credit. Build your nest egg, invest your extras and save up for that car. Have fun with some mods along the way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I once took an automatic 89 civic wagon and swapped a bigger motor with a manual trans. Everything for that swap was readily available at local junkyards plus there was more than enough info online from others who have done similar projects. It ended up being fairly easy but very time consuming. Problem with swapping the trans in an egt is not many have tried before you if any. Being a newer vehicle parts won't be as easy to find cheap either. I'm sure its doable but the question is at what cost?

As for boosting the egt. There are a few kits out there for the 2.0 gdi NU engine but there is no good way to control fuel. No one makes a piggyback that can handle the voltage of gdi injectors. I've asked around to some of the places that offer tunes for the na motor to see if they would be willing to work with me to develop some kind of base tune to run boost but no one is too eager to jump on that.

Good luck with the new vehicle. Happy modding!
Yeah it's just so new that nothing has been made for it yet as for aftermarket parts for such a specific car and as you said no one has tried.

Thank you for the input!

I’ve been there before. It’s a terrible idea. You should of purchased a manual transmission vehicle with a turbo. That vehicle would preferably have a large aftermarket. Then you build from there.

You wrote about building your credit. Build your nest egg, invest your extras and save up for that car. Have fun with some mods along the way.
Yeah that's an issue I'm still trying to figure out internally. I originally was going to go for a WRX, but I needed a daily and it costs too much.

But when I went to the dealership to get the Elantra I told them I wanted something sporty. So they told me to come back after a year of payments to refinance and get something more geared towards something I like.

Part of me wants to create something unique like this, but the other side of me is saying to pay off the car, build my credit and save up for something I truly want.

Thanks for the input, it really impacts what I'm going to do in the future.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There a good used cars out there cheap. Just an example: Volkswagen CC. You can find a used one with less than 60k miles, DCT or manual for 6k. The 2.0 TSI engines can be boosted to all ****.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts

I didn't have a choice as I am trying to build my credit and I needed something reliable and the Hyundai was my first choice from what I was given.

Now my question is if anyone knows how difficult/how much it would cost to put in a manual transmission as I am going to have this car for awhile and I want to enjoy it. I originally drove a 99' Honda Accord that was a 5 speed manual and it was and is a blast (GF drives it now). So I'm looking into getting this GT a manual transmission down the road.

I don't know anything about this car so I'm taking baby steps along with learning about cars anyways, so bare with me here I'm a noob.

I also plan on getting a turbo'd motor or putting one into it, but again I have no knowledge of the engine and if one can even be installed into it.

Sorry if I sound crazy these are just questions I have and what better place than to ask EVERYONE else that has Elantra GT's.

I'd probably wait until 2022. The 2nd owner warranty expires then.
It expires the minute you do the swap.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
i have been driving mt for 50+ years, and i prefer the automatic. automatics have come a long way, and now they are superior to manual transmissions. isnt the transmission tiptronic? way better shifting than manual. on a side note, turbo cars are really nice. one of my friends just took delivery on a 2018 ford focus rs, one of 500, german built. this guy used to be a rep for bmwna, and was a bmw/mercedes owner for 50 years. gotta love them awd turbo cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd probably wait until 2022. The 2nd owner warranty expires then.
It expires the minute you do the swap.
Well by the sounds of just a few peoples input I should just pay off the car and suck it up and just wait. The smiles per gallon can wait as it will be worth it in the end.

i have been driving mt for 50+ years, and i prefer the automatic. automatics have come a long way, and now they are superior to manual transmissions. isnt the transmission tiptronic? way better shifting than manual. on a side note, turbo cars are really nice. one of my friends just took delivery on a 2018 ford focus rs, one of 500, german built. this guy used to be a rep for bmwna, and was a bmw/mercedes owner for 50 years. gotta love them awd turbo cars.
I was actually wanting a Ford Focus RS, but then I found out their engines were seizing around 20k miles and I kind of steered away from looking into one. It is a beautiful car though. Every time I see one I just stare at it. :ph34r:

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Well by the sounds of just a few peoples input I should just pay off the car and suck it up and just wait. The smiles per gallon can wait as it will be worth it in the end.

I was actually wanting a Ford Focus RS, but then I found out their engines were seizing around 20k miles and I kind of steered away from looking into one. It is a beautiful car though. Every time I see one I just stare at it. :ph34r:

I actually LIKE the AT in my Accent (with it's too small engine for an AT...) It works well, and I can just sit back.

Of course, I also have the Scion tC and a Subaru Legacy with 5-speeds, so I can do all the footwork I want. :D

·
Registered
2,977 Posts

well, if you had done more research, only 48 out of 3500 engines had head gasket failure. and the problem has been solved. the supplier of the head gasket either mis marked or just didnt know there is a difference between the rs and the ecoboost, both 2.3, but completely different engines. not a problem of failed head gaskets, but a problem of the wrong gasket used. 1500 units for 2018 are the last to be built, only 500 for us market. compare to subaru which had gasket failure. mine included. a long time ago, when ford had the 3.8 supercharged in the t-birds, they started snapping cranks. ford had gone from forged to cast, and they just could not take it. ford pulled all the birds off the sales floor. i had a friend who has a shop in keego harbor, and he told me ford rented a couple of drive in theaters, and parked all the birds there, and then changed out all the cranks. not to be confused with gm, when they had problems with their 3.8 supercharged, they just repaired the failing ones, and let the rest go out of warranty, then it was too bad for the owner. one must also recognize that ford was the only one who did NOT get bailed out by the government. they seen what was coming, and made adjustments.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So I looked up all the parts I think you'd need if you really wanted to swap a manual in there and assuming you know how to do all the work yourself, your probably looking right about $4000. That was all oem parts so if you could find stuff off wrecked cars or aftermarket you could do it cheaper. Just depends what it's worth too you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Suffer through and treat it like an appliance. Pay it down/off, save some cash and then get something interesting.

With the torsion beam rear suspension the GT's are just very good commuter cars.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,871 Posts
Sounds like you should of just gotten into a manual 2018 Elantra GT Sport with a MUCH better platform and the 1.6T engine. Dealership probably wanted to get rid of their remaining 2017 inventory unless that difference between the GT Sport and your 2017 GT was too much for your budget.

As for swapping it, its not worth it at all. No it is not too new for a turbo kit to be developed as a few have long been done and are for sale (Boostec to name one) but its not a platform anyone would want to invest in. In case you dont know the 2013-2017 Elantra GT is the GD generation with the 2014+ having the 2.0 GDI motor.

Swapping a manual in might be fairly straightforward if you wanted to do it although I dont know what electronic challenges might be faced. Used parts are pretty common for these cars now.

·
Registered
786 Posts

If you're attempting to build credit and establish yourself financially, I'm going to give you the boring parental advice you may not want to hear. Don't do either of those modifications to your car, they're a waste of money. If the turbo and MT were really worth it to you, the smart thing would have been to buy a car with both of those already installed. Since you didn't, hold on to your car for a few years and take care of it. After 4-5 years, the value you will lose on it to trade it in for a car with both a turbo and MT won't be so bad.

FYI, the MT version of this car gets worse MPG than the automatic (20% worse on highway). The only reasons to buy a car with an MT is for the fun factor, the small savings on any future possible repairs of the transmission components, and anti-theft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts