Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
ECU’s are what?
Fancy - I sometimes dress mine up in lace and frills - that way she's happy despite having to live on meager 87 octane fuel. She seems happy with 87, so am I.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4l FWD
128 Posts
In our area Premium is a minimum of $.50 more per gallon. Much more when the price of gas rises above the$2.50 it is at now.

If a fellow keeps his car for 150,000 miless and averages 25 mpg he would use 150,000 miles divided by 25 mpg = 6000 gallons of gas used. 6000 gallons of gas x $.50 (minimum difference between regular gas and premium gas)= $3000.

I think I'll just use regular gas and pocket the $3000.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The tendency toward spark knock increases with intake air temperature.
This is one of the differences between the motor vs research methods of measuring fuel octane.
The knock sensor is more likely to kick in when ambient temp is high.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
812 Posts
Let me correct the record in case the debate has not been decided regarding putting premium fuel into a car that takes 87....

It is true that prior to fancy ECUs and mapped timings on older cars, using premium will not provide or unlock more horsepower, it will though provide a slight MPG boost.

It is also true that - (using the HK 2013 to current 2.0T engine) - putting 93 into this engine WILL provide more power, but not for the reason you think....

1. When using 87, these engines will ping at low RPM/high load scenarios AND under boost.
2. This knock is detected realtime by the ecu and each cylinder is retarded between 0.5 degrees up to 6 degrees. (Each cylinder monitored individually)
3. Using 91 or 89 or 93 will virtually eliminate this knock, thus, the ecu will not retard the timing.

Concluding.....
I've observed Knock retard (using live OBD2 data) on my 2.0T with 87oct @ sea level and at least one cylinder is always being slightly retarded under almost all driving conditions. Especially so in high heat.

On several ococcasions I used 93oct and noted that virtually no knock was detected in any cylinder under any driving condition. Thus, no retarded timing.

Upon switching back to 87 the knock retard was immediately visible on my scan tool.

Further there was a very noticeable difference between the performance of the car under 93 and 87 with 93 providing drastic improvements 3rd,4th,5th,6th gears from 1600 to 3000rpm.

So, yes, using premium is not a 'sucker's play' in certain cars.

Also take a look at the 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L....it ran only on 93oct due to Jeep programming it with advanced timing (to make it the world's fastest SUV)...If you put 87 in it it was a ping machine...this in itself is proof that -even as far back as 1998 - manufacturers were using octane and timing to squeeze every drop of power out.

The 2013+ 2.0T is a VERY well designed stock engine and there are no easy ways to squeeze tons of free power.....They did a great job front to back....

That being said, it is easy to guess that ECUs are

I have to agree with you regarding knock. You can actually feel when the engine catches it and takes measure to prevent it.

With that being said, will I switch to premium? No. The engine runs just fine on regular....I will be using regular 87 probably 80 to 90% of the time. I have been using a couple of tanks of premium when I use injector cleaner right before changing oil and midway through. I will also primarily use premium on my road trips. I did recently and loved the engine performance....also got good/decent gas mileage. I got 25+ mpg traveling above posted speed limits with strong winds.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
The Gen Coupe turbo will get more HP from premium. I use to run 93 E10 all the time. Switched to 91 E0 and got 2 mpg better mileage. Would not even think about using 87 oct although the engine is rated at it. I usually get around 34 mpg now with my driving skills. Premium is usually around 60 cents higher per gallon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Premium fuel issues have been discussed in all car forums for years and proven not to improve performance. Using high octane gas will do nothing but lighten your wallet. -- PERIOD
The 2.0T turbo was designed for an economy and some increase in power IT'S not a high-performance engine
An engine's compression ratio will determine its recommended octane or octane levels. Higher the compression, higher the octane needs to be

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,256 Posts
Listen to Scotty....

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
854 Posts
Listen to Scotty....
This advice has already been posted in this thread. It's just another example of people believing what they want to be true, rather than listen to experts. If people want to waste $$ needlessly on premium fuel, that's on them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gee, this must explain why some manufacturers publish higher horsepower using higher octane fuel. Clearly octane doesn’t help at all. Or maybe in small displacement, high compression, turbocharged vehicles it might. But, hey, I respect your choice to press whatever button you want at the pump.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
854 Posts
Gee, this must explain why some manufacturers publish higher horsepower using higher octane fuel. Clearly octane doesn’t help at all. Or maybe in small displacement, high compression, turbocharged vehicles it might. But, hey, I respect your choice to press whatever button you want at the pump.
Right. Those engines that are tuned to actually require higher octane to produce higher HP -- like Mazda -- publish as such.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,256 Posts
You do know that different applications of the 2.0T have different power rating! The magic of software flexibility :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Right. Those engines that are tuned to actually require higher octane to produce higher HP -- like Mazda -- publish as such.
My 2LT Gen Coupe came with 87 oct recommended. But also advertise higher HP if premium is used. But then again they also put 5w20 oil in it from factory

·
Registered
545 Posts
Let me correct the record in case the debate has not been decided regarding putting premium fuel into a car that takes 87....

It is true that prior to fancy ECUs and mapped timings on older cars, using premium will not provide or unlock more horsepower, it will though provide a slight MPG boost.

It is also true that - (using the HK 2013 to current 2.0T engine) - putting 93 into this engine WILL provide more power, but not for the reason you think....

1. When using 87, these engines will ping at low RPM/high load scenarios AND under boost.
2. This knock is detected realtime by the ecu and each cylinder is retarded between 0.5 degrees up to 6 degrees. (Each cylinder monitored individually)
3. Using 91 or 89 or 93 will virtually eliminate this knock, thus, the ecu will not retard the timing.

I could not have written this better....I completely agree with all points mentioned.

Especially the ecu pulling timing on the 2.0t.
Its brutal, no wonder the 2.4 was faster in hot weather compared to the 2.0t in the Santa fe. If they used 91 or 93 it would have been a different race.
I can't stand this engine with 87 in the hotter months. I feel cheated out of the engine.
91 all summer.

Some say its a waste....I think its a waste to not get the most out of the engine you paid for.

Concluding.....
I've observed Knock retard (using live OBD2 data) on my 2.0T with 87oct @ sea level and at least one cylinder is always being slightly retarded under almost all driving conditions. Especially so in high heat.

On several ococcasions I used 93oct and noted that virtually no knock was detected in any cylinder under any driving condition. Thus, no retarded timing.

Upon switching back to 87 the knock retard was immediately visible on my scan tool.

Further there was a very noticeable difference between the performance of the car under 93 and 87 with 93 providing drastic improvements 3rd,4th,5th,6th gears from 1600 to 3000rpm.

So, yes, using premium is not a 'sucker's play' in certain cars.

Also take a look at the 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L....it ran only on 93oct due to Jeep programming it with advanced timing (to make it the world's fastest SUV)...If you put 87 in it it was a ping machine...this in itself is proof that -even as far back as 1998 - manufacturers were using octane and timing to squeeze every drop of power out.

The 2013+ 2.0T is a VERY well designed stock engine and there are no easy ways to squeeze tons of free power.....They did a great job front to back....

That being said, it is easy to guess that ECUs are

I could not have written this better....I completely agree with all points mentioned.

Its brutal, no wonder the 2.4 was faster in hot weather compared to the 2.0t in the Santa fe. If they used 91 or 93 it would have been a different race.
I can't stand this engine with 87 in the hotter months. I feel cheated out of the engine.
91 all summer.

Some say its a waste...... I think its a waste to not get the most out of the engine you paid for.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts

91 all summer.

Some say its a waste...... I think its a waste to not get the most out of the engine you paid for.
Probably get better gas mileage too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the picture.
This has already been mentioned over and over.
Maybe next time you could draw us a picture in crayon......would take more effort though.

What some of us are talking about is the timing being retarded in hot weather due to the 87.

If you have not experienced this you are one of two;
You drive your vehicle so delicately that you do not cause this issue......or you simply don't notice this happening.

Read.... Is Premium Gas Worth It? We Test High Octane on 4 Popular Vehicles

There are improvements to be experienced by running a higher octane in turbo and high compression engines.

Sorry.....there are.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts