Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2010 with premium package, which includes "premium audio". Is this a non-branded Infinity system? I've heard the Infinity system in a 2010 Sonata and my memory says that the Sonata has more natural sound. The Santa Fe system gets plenty loud, but seems to be tuned to give thumpy bass and sizzling highs. This sound can be easily fatiguing.

Speaking of thumpy bass, I was all excited to put in a couple of my reference CDs that have quality, deep bass. Well the bass comes through fine, along with a nice rattle in the drivers door, and this is with tone controls set to "flat" and volume around 12-12. I played around with XM and cannot seem to get the rattle even if I crank it. Anybody else experience this?

I haven't even had it a week and am going to have to take it in; hopefully when they open up the door they won't make it worse.

·
Registered
398 Posts
From what I can tell, the only difference between the base stereo and the premium stereo is the Infinity speakers and sub. Infinity does not make head units, therefore that is probably the same in both except for the sub out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Upthewazzu @ Nov 12 2010, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371206
From what I can tell, the only difference between the base stereo and the premium stereo is the Infinity speakers and sub. Infinity does not make head units, therefore that is probably the same in both except for the sub out.
The Sonata actually has the Infinity logo on the faceplate and appears in Hyundai literature; the Santa Fe just appears to be "premium", although I supposed it could actually be Infinity also. The Sonata didn't have the navigation system so that's a variable also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2010 limited without nav has infinity badges all over the place including the extra center channel which isn't on the nav or base version. I think there's got to be an external amp as well?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Khyron @ Nov 12 2010, 04:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371212
My 2010 limited without nav has infinity badges all over the place including the extra center channel which isn't on the nav or base version. I think there's got to be an external amp as well?
Yes, there is the external amp as well.

I looked up Hyundai part numbers for the 2010 Santa Fe and didn't see anything indicating there is a difference between premium and Infinity sound. I'm guessing it may just be a branding/licensing issue.

Overall, how would you rate the sound? Any rattle issues?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not an audio guy (playing 192kb mp3s off a usb stick) but I'm super impressed. One of the reasons we went with the SF over the Sorento - going between them was like single speaker am radio to a full home theater. Destroys any of my aftermarket hack jobs and I think it's better than the stock rigs in the 325 and 330.

No rattles or creaks of any kind so far - it's a solid tomb.

Problem now is my 02 Jetta with aftermarket amp/sub/harddrive doesn't compare at all.

·
3,861 Posts
My 2009 LTD has the 605 Watt Infinity system. I get the drivers door vibration when playing certain MP3's from the USB port. XM can occasionally produce enough bass to vibrate the door but not very often. The amplifier is under the passenger seat on mine. My 2007 Sonata also had the Infinity system and it did sound a little better overall. I live with the vibration and just back off the volume and bass for certain songs. I don't want anybody tearing in to my door panel. Funny, I haven't even used the CD changer in the 10 months I've owned my Santa Fe. I put thousands of songs on a USB drive, between that and XM Radio I haven't had any need for CD's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (wymi @ Nov 12 2010, 05:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371234
My 2009 LTD has the 605 Watt Infinity system. I get the drivers door vibration when playing certain MP3's from the USB port. XM can occasionally produce enough bass to vibrate the door but not very often. The amplifier is under the passenger seat on mine. My 2007 Sonata also had the Infinity system and it did sound a little better overall. I live with the vibration and just back off the volume and bass for certain songs. I don't want anybody tearing in to my door panel. Funny, I haven't even used the CD changer in the 10 months I've owned my Santa Fe. I put thousands of songs on a USB drive, between that and XM Radio I haven't had any need for CD's.
Well I think I'll just go with it for a bit and see what other music makes it vibrate. If it's just a handful I can live with it, although I really shouldn't have to. I'm also wary about somebody opening up the door panel and then things get worse.

I listened quite a bit on my long drive home and backing off the midrange and treble seems to help with the bright high end, at least on CDs. XM seems to benefit from leaving the settings at neutral. I've yet to try my mp3 player in there, will do this weekend.

·
3,861 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (Ken B @ Nov 12 2010, 04:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371204
I just purchased a 2010 with premium package, which includes "premium audio". Is this a non-branded Infinity system? I've heard the Infinity system in a 2010 Sonata and my memory says that the Sonata has more natural sound. The Santa Fe system gets plenty loud, but seems to be tuned to give thumpy bass and sizzling highs. This sound can be easily fatiguing.

Speaking of thumpy bass, I was all excited to put in a couple of my reference CDs that have quality, deep bass. Well the bass comes through fine, along with a nice rattle in the drivers door, and this is with tone controls set to "flat" and volume around 12-12. I played around with XM and cannot seem to get the rattle even if I crank it. Anybody else experience this?

I haven't even had it a week and am going to have to take it in; hopefully when they open up the door they won't make it worse.
The rattle is worse and took it into the dealer. They said the service manager will call me and that they didn't have time to open the door, even though when I scheduled the apt I asked how much time they'd need. I scheduled it a bit earlier to make sure they would have plenty of time so I just wasted part of a Saturday morning. The service guy even suggested that maybe it's rattling because of the premium sound. Nonsense.

The amp under the seat has Kia/Hyundai logos and HAP-65CM 6 Ch Amp and Digital Tuning System. Not sure where that sixth channel is and no other branding I could identify, although I can't see the bottom without removing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts