Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Santa Fe SE and I can’t seem to get much more than 20K miles out of a set of quality tires rated at 3-4 times that. Is anyone else having this problem? My driving has been virtually all highway. I stay very close to the posted speed limit. I rotate and balance every 5,000 Miles. The alignment is checked at every rotation. I keep the air pressure within a couple of pounds of what is posted inside the driver’s door opening - 33 PSI. The tires wear very evenly, they just don’t last. The Kumhos that came on it lasted about 40K Miles. I actually expected less from the original tires. I went with a well rated Yokohama and got 14K Miles out of them and they were pro-rated and replaced under warranty. The next set lasted about 28K Miles. The odd thing is that my wife’s 2011 Santa Fe GLS had the same tires, she drives fast and breaks hard (and admits it) and she got 62K Miles out of the exact same tire. Obviously he’d wheels are smaller her tires have a different profile, but I wouldn’t expect that kind of difference. I just had to replace my Michelin Premier LTX 235/60-R18s at 25K Miles. They are 60K Mille rated and I’ve always exceeded the rates warranty with Michelin’s on other vehicles. Has anyone had a similar issue or can you offer any solution as to what might be behind this problem. The tire dealers are of no help. They just keep pro-rating and replacing under warranty. Sorry for the long post. Just trying to answer any questions up front.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good day, have found premium tires rarely give you the advertised tread wear life. They usually have soft rubber tread to give maximum traction, if your alignment and balancing and PSI are correct you can check the tread wear number printed on sidewall. I usually use tires rated above 600 tread wear. I would think that the original Kumhos had a higher tread wear number and had a harder rubber tread but lower performance.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Agree with Dorian on the theoretical vs. actual tread wear expectations of certain tires. If all maintenance issues are taken care of, meaning pressure, speed balancing, proper all-wheel alignment, and suspension parts wear (many possibilities there), the only things left are the driver and the tires themselves. Go to the comparison charts on www.tirerack.com to get an idea of how different tires compare with each other.

·
Registered
243 Posts
rtbarton,

I have the same Michelin Premier LTX 235/60-R18 tires on my 2010 now that I used to replace a set of Pirelli Scorpions. I got a total of 27,935Km on the Pirelli's and they were shot. Just about to the wear bars, so in need of replacement. I had a wheel alignment done and put on four new Michelins in last summer 2016. The Michelin's are showing their signs of wear now but are still good for another couple of seasons (I use winter tires in winter) as they only have 8588Kms on them so far. But based on how much wear is on those Michelins I will not get anywhere close to the 100K claim that the manufacturer. But I don't think I ever have gotten close to what any tire is rated at. Not on my Santa Fe or other vehicles I've had in the past.

But if you fine the magic solution to get more life out of tires, please share :)

Scott.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What is current align numbers ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. Just had an alignment done. Don’t have the paperwork in front of me so I’ll post those later. I did have an alignment done at the same time the Michelin’s went on. I’ll check reviews on TireRack before replacing these. Never had a Michelin I didn’t get very close to the rated mileage out of before. ??

·
Registered
168 Posts
I understand that you are balancing and rotating them every 5K. but have you been able to see more wear on the fronts tires vs the rear tires or vice versa ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not at all. When I had to get one replaced under warranty last week, even the tech at Discount Tire commented on how evenly they are wearing. But he was surprised that the Yokohama and Michelin tires were wearing so quickly. I’m wondering if a true light truck tire might hold up better to the size and stature of the vehicle and the size and profile of the wheel.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
How are your mpgs ? Is it AWD and possibly staying in AWD ?

I had H rated Yokohama's once and they evaporated, if you were able to get 40k out of Krummy Kumhos and far less from Michelins , it sounds like there is a problem somewhere, do they check to make sure all wheels are spinning freely, has something like the brake booster ever been replaced ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
20-25K is about all I've gotten out of the past 2 tire changes with rotation every 4000-5000 miles. I have a 4 wheel alignment done right after the new tires are put on. We'll see how well the Yokohamas that I just had put on there now hold up. I'm very happy with them so far in the snow and on the highway, no more horrible road noise like I had with the previous 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts