Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I got all my parts installed, I wanted to share my experience with the vehicle so far before moving onto dyno/tuning during the next few weeks.

As you guys know, I had the Tork downpipe installed last week, which was the last piece of the puzzle before tuning. Since then, I drove the vehicle for 700 miles and cannot be happier with the performance, it is definitely a completely different vehicle in pull and handling. There is a massive explosion of power during WOT, especially the 3rd and 4th gear, where I wonder if this is the same vehicle I bought just few months ago. So much so that I'm wondering if tuning is even necessary at this point, as the vehicle runs so smoothly while packing a serious punch. The sway bars, coilovers, and tires have utterly transformed how it handles and feels literally stuck to the road most of times, and made the steering much more sensitive. An interesting side effect of this is that it made lane-assist feature way more responsive, especially on active mode, and does fantastic job keeping the vehicle in lane.

The noise suppression moldings are amazing, I drove by an outdoor concert and didn't even realize there was music playing until I rolled down my windows. Dual OCC are happily collecting and filtering all the crap that would've been dumped back into the intake system and I can already tell a good amount of oil is building in the cans. BOV is still doing its thing, and somehow it sounds louder than it did initially, which I definitely like.

I love this car. If any of you guys have any questions or need help, feel free to let me know.

Reactions: Ray604

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like the progress so far. Sounds like a ton of fun. I don't know about you, but I'd probably get myself in a lot of trouble driving that around, blasting the valve at every opportunity, haha.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like Tork will be shipping out the port flash tuning equipment this week! Also picked up a set of M45XL spark plugs and their electronic boost control solenoid as well, I must admit the anticipation is killing me right now.

I mainly want the tune to reduce the turbo lag as much as possible. It already feels plenty fast for me and if I could tap into that power without the lag, I would be 100% satisfied. Also, it seems there are concerns with DCT not being able to safely handle more than 250wtq, so I’ll have to be really careful with not going overboard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is the downpipe eliminating the cat? What other mods have you done to get the big power gains?
It has a high flow cat. You can see the list of mods in my signature, but main players are Tork's big gulp intake and downpipe, as well as the big bore throttle body (63mm), Tork pipe to get rid of intercooler resonator and JunBL exhaust. Getting it dyno'd before flashing tune next week, but I'd estimate these parts gave at the minimum 30whp/wtq.

While nice, tune will really open these up for some serious power. I expect to see 280whp and 250wtq with very little turbo lag, when all said and done. I'm also working to see if I can program the tune right into the 'Sport Mode' button, that would be cherry on top.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Sounds like some sensible mods. Get the air in and get it out makes a turbo respond. With the tune you'll find the factory tune low on timing in the lower RPM and lacking in fuel under boost and the upper RPM area. Be very careful and put it in the hands of a good tuner.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like some sensible mods. Get the air in and get it out makes a turbo respond. With the tune you'll find the factory tune low on timing in the lower RPM and lacking in fuel under boost and the upper RPM area. Be very careful and put it in the hands of a good tuner.
Tork Motorsports Port Flash Bundle | DamnFastDD.com

I've been speaking with Matt from Tork Motorsports lately, trying to get all the information I possibly can before committing to this (Well, I already have I guess). Considering I drove the world's most beat-up Accent for years and years, this car already feels like a **** space shuttle and this tune will take me to that next level of performance, hopefully without blowing it up.

After speaking with Matt on several occasions, he addressed all my concerns and I feel fully confident to move forward. They've already tuned several Elantra Sport with success and worked out the kinks such as DCT torque issue, so I have full faith in their ability to provide an effective, yet safe tuning.

Got the shipping notification from them yesterday, for the M45XL spark plugs and their EBCS, as well as the port flash tuning equipment. Almost there!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here it is!

EBCS feels really solid, quality stuff right there. I’ll get it installed along with the spark plugs this weekend and run the tuning software for Tork to analyze.

Speaking of, does anyone know the spark plug gap required for our vehicle? On the spark plug box, it says "Do not adjust spark plug gap due to extremely fine center electrode", so I assume I don't have to mess with it.

Update: Matt from Tork told me these come pre-gapped to .028 and I just need to verify before swapping the spark plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would get one one these before a tune. Fantastic what it does to the throttle response. The aliexpress link is the one I got for my Gen Coupe.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pot...hin-TS-988-for-BMW-Series-Mini/777979631.html

throttle controller price - throttle accelerator supplier

Easy to install and control.
Interesting, what does it do exactly? Could you tell us bit more about your experience with it? I'd be more than happy to check it out if it's worth it.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
My question too. What does it do apart from take your money. I tried to open the feedback which it says their are 4 but its empty. Skeptical indeed.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Interesting, what does it do exactly? Could you tell us bit more about your experience with it? I'd be more than happy to check it out if it's worth it.
It makes the gas pedal very hyper sensitive and removes any and all throttle lag. It takes a while to get use to it but it is easy to set and ramp up on the fly.

1st mode anyone should do. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face when driving!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I think all it does is change the throttle plate position relative to the pedal making it feel more responsive. Why not just push the pedal down further.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
I think all it does is change the throttle plate position relative to the pedal making it feel more responsive. Why not just push the pedal down further.
What it does is increase the opening initially quite a bit. In full race mode it pops the throttle to 85% or WOT. There is various decay and ramp rate in the various pre programed modes.

Do not under estimate the change this can do to a car! It's similar to the Sprint Booster.

You will get use to it to most extents and it becomes normal driving mode when you find the sweet spot. After a couple months I settled into the 7 out of 9 level.

It is similar to the different sport levels in some OE ECU programs but much more finely tunable.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
One of the ECM updates to our '15 Sonata did the same thing. I always felt the throttle response was "soft" compared to my Elantra GT. A TSB came out for an ECM re-flash, and when I got back in it was noticeably more responsive.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
That's just what I thought it did and I can appreciate the improved snappier throttle response. When you look at throttle body designs many are made to give a low air flow for the initial throttle movement to make the car more docile and safer to drive. On my track car throttle response dosn't come into it because it's either closed or wide open. One of my road cars has quiet a large throttle body and it's a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
If you are going to spend money to improve performance, the Potent Booster is the first thing you should do. I was skeptical until I got one.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
It can't improve overall performance. If you did dyno testing they can only be the same but driving pedal response is another thing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts