Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Relatively new to this forum. Thanks to you guys, I was convinced on purchasing a 09 Sonata GL. It's just over a year old and is in pretty good shape.

I'd like to keep it that way, so I'm planning to have rust-proofing done on it. In order to apply the rust-proofing to the inside of the body, they normally have to drill access holes, which would then be plugged up with a rubber cap.

Some auto-makers have pre-drilled holes for this purpose. Are there any pre-drilled access holes so they don't have to drill into my new-to-me car?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm still trying to decide between Krown and Corrosion-Free for rust-protection. Any of your experiences with either product would also be appreciated.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
I know you won't like reading this, but every time a reader is asking about rust-proofing protection -- the pros in the media are telling him the SAME thing: Spare your money. Modern cars are manufactured with rust protection "built in"...

·
Registered
367 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ May 20 2010, 11:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324927
I know you won't like reading this, but every time a reader is asking about rust-proofing protection -- the pros in the media are telling him the SAME thing: Spare your money. Modern cars are manufactured with rust protection "built in"...
You are correct, if you watch SUPER FACTORIES on tv they show how certain cars are built. They actually get dipped into a solution that prevents rust. The only time you will probably need to invest in rust proofing is after an accident when repairs are made to your car. Save your money and go on a nice vacation.

It's amazing what companies will find to deny warranty claims, I wonder if drilling in to do this would void structure warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (mamamia @ May 20 2010, 09:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324927

QUOTE (yjbeach @ May 21 2010, 05:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325007
You are correct, if you watch SUPER FACTORIES on tv they show how certain cars are built. They actually get dipped into a solution that prevents rust. The only time you will probably need to invest in rust proofing is after an accident when repairs are made to your car. Save your money and go on a nice vacation.

It's amazing what companies will find to deny warranty claims, I wonder if drilling in to do this would void structure warranty.
You guys definitely echo some of my own doubts about the process. Truth be told, I'm still unclear if rust-proofing is necessary. You're both from cities with high-humidities... but I'm wondering: How often do they salt the roads in the winter around where you live?

The majority of the people I've spoken to up here in Canada believe that rust-proofing is beneficial. Heck, even the military does rust-proofing on their vehicles. Then again, I've read some of the same stuff you have. I honestly don't know what to believe.

It may come down to $$. Rust proofing is $120 around here, goodfor about a year. That's only a $10/month investment in something that may protect the car. That's not a huge risk, which is why I'm even considering it.

Any other input from the helpful members of the board (especially those in colder climates)? Rust-proofing: yay or nay? Corrosion-free or Krown?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (RcM @ May 21 2010, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325056
You guys definitely echo some of my own doubts about the process. Truth be told, I'm still unclear if rust-proofing is necessary. You're both from cities with high-humidities... but I'm wondering: How often do they salt the roads in the winter around where you live?

The majority of the people I've spoken to up here in Canada believe that rust-proofing is beneficial. Heck, even the military does rust-proofing on their vehicles. Then again, I've read some of the same stuff you have. I honestly don't know what to believe.

It may come down to $$. Rust proofing is $120 around here, goodfor about a year. That's only a $10/month investment in something that may protect the car. That's not a huge risk, which is why I'm even considering it.

Any other input from the helpful members of the board (especially those in colder climates)? Rust-proofing: yay or nay? Corrosion-free or Krown?
Rust proofing is a thing of the past - I don't know how honest your dealers, rustproofers, etc. are in Canada, but if somebody here in the US of A offered me such a service, I would laugh in their face. When I was a little kiddie - they used to push something called "undercoating" which had the same objective of preventing rust. Now, even the car manuals tell you not to do it.

My Sonatas are almost five years old - they live outdoors in a humid area, and they don't have a speck of rust. What seems particularly odd about your idea is that the rustproofing is good only for "about a year" at $120 a pop. That $120 would buy you a lot of quality synthetic oil and Meguiar's wax, etc. either of which would be of real benefit to your car.

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (RcM @ May 21 2010, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325056
I say go for it! Not so much for the metal, but above all for the electronics. If you use Krown or Rustcheck they use a spray that will displace all moisture from your electronics and therefore lessen the oxidation on them. I've done it for years and never had electronic problems, I go to Krown every two years and that's enough to get the protection I need. Don't bother with corrosion free, waste of money.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (Pelican @ May 21 2010, 12:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325077
I've done it for years and never had electronic problems, I go to Krown every two years and that's enough to get the protection I need. Don't bother with corrosion free, waste of money.
See, but you don't know what would be the case if you DID NOT do it........ My car is 4.5 years old. If I could be in the business of selling salt to the cities and villages around here, Chicagoland, you can bet I'd be now writing in the BENTLEY forum (I hate the looks of Rolls Royce), not Hyundai's.... Not one spot of rust taht I can detect on my car (and I'm looking for some real wood now to be knocking on).... As long as you take your car regularly to a CAR WASH during the winter, so the undercarriage is washed too, I see no problem arising.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ May 21 2010, 01:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325084
As long as you take your car regularly to a CAR WASH during the winter, so the undercarriage is washed too, I see no problem arising.
Good point about car washing - I routinely hose off the salt on my cars (after the brakes are cool) -

I also brush my teeth every day and haven't seen a single tiger in the neighborhood since I started doing it. I never heard of spraying electronics with anything, but it sounds like the same sort of idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts