Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dashcam I'm going to mount on the rear window. I have two questions that I'd much appreciate if I could get some help with.
1. Is there a source of power near the rear that I tap into to power the dashcam? (it only needs power when car is running, I'm not running it 24/7)

2. If I chose to run a cable all the way from the front cigarette lighter receptacle to the rear window, what would be the best way to run it? (ie: under carpet, something with the headliner? Dunno.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,930 Posts
1. Is there a source of power near the rear that I tap into to power the dashcam? (it only needs power when car is running, I'm not running it 24/7)
There will likely be an ignition power supply already within the tailgate, on the rear wiper motor.

yard1 said:
2. If I chose to run a cable all the way from the front cigarette lighter receptacle to the rear window, what would be the best way to run it? (ie: under carpet, something with the headliner? Dunno.)
If you need to route a wire all the way to the front you could just unclip the door scuff trims on the drivers side and tuck the wire under the carpet. Personally, I would connect your wire to an ignition supply at the dashboard fusebox rather than the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There will likely be an ignition power supply already within the tailgate, on the rear wiper motor.

If you need to route a wire all the way to the front you could just unclip the door scuff trims on the drivers side and tuck the wire under the carpet. Personally, I would connect your wire to an ignition supply at the dashboard fusebox rather than the cigarette lighter.
I've heard of people tapping into the rear wiper power for use with a dashcam but I'm not sure how accessing that is done in the i20. I'll have to have a look, thank you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
1) Unless you have an auxiliary power plug in the back of your car, it is unlikely that any wires running back there are powered on only when the ignition in the run position. I stand corrected , the wiper motor. There is the fuel pump wiring, but I would not want to tap into them.

2) It depends if you are mounting the camera low or high in the rear window, either way would be ok, but the cable would probably be easier to hide in the door sills etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) Unless you have an auxiliary power plug in the back of your car, it is unlikely that any wires running back there are powered on only when the ignition in the run position. There is the fuel pump wiring, but I would not want to tap into them.

2) It depends if you are mounting the camera low or high in the rear window, either way would be ok, but the cable would probably be easier to hide in the door sills etc.
It's not a huge issue if it has power 24/7, just means I'd have to turn the dashcam on/off when using/not using vehicle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Much neater appearance,, but if you are unsure of which wire is power and which one is ground on the dash cam cable, you could use one of these
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Female-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Connector/dp/B00P9A0CVS[/ame]
and connect it with a fuse tap https://www.google.ca/search?q=fuse...UIDigB&biw=1343&bih=641#imgrc=NauXG3BKUrCBSM: to the appropriate fuse in the fuse panel., and then hide everything under the dash

·
Registered
622 Posts
Check for the brake light plug.

Pry out the connector and look for wires on its connector plug. I guess there would be 2 wires. Now, join one end of test light to either one of the wire and another end of test light to ground, if the test light glows, then your locating the wire which is always live. If not, try connect to the other wire.

Now, join one wire of the dashcam to the live wire and other wire to ground. Then, the brake light on only when key is inserted and you get power from it to the dash cam.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,930 Posts
the brake light on only when key is inserted and you get power from it to the dash cam.
Hyundai brake lights are powered from a direct battery supply, not when the key is inserted.
And there would only be power to the lamp when you press on the brake pedal. Not the ideal power supply for a dash cam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts