Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After not starting my car following several days of extreme cold, my battery died a couple of weeks ago, and after boosting the battery, I noticed a couple of electrical accessories (power windows, rear defrost, rear brake lights) are no longer working. I was told by a mechanic at the local Wal-Mart that it was possibly the main relay, which I replaced at the dealer, but that did not fix the issue.

I've checked the individual fuses for these accessories, and all of them are OK. Anyone else ever experience this or have any tips on how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you!
Billy R

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Do you think you damaged something while jump starting, or did anything go wrong? If something happened that could help troubleshoot.

Also if you paid dealer to fix main relay to solve issue then take back to dealer to troubleshoot. They should not charge again for troubleshooting same problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Xion - apologies, fell behind in this thread. I've been dealing with this issue for weeks and it's becoming extremely frustrating.

@someguy - nothing went wrong to my recollection. I plugged the booster cable connectors directly to my car's battery, I know it's recommended to plug on a ground instead.

As for the Walmart mechanic, I originally went there for a flat tire. While I was there I explained to them the electrical issues I was having and the one mechanic said "oh we had a guy come in just last week with the same issue and it turned out to be the main relay". Which is a dealer-only part, so I'm not sure how they got to that conclusion.

After some extensive reading, I am fairly confident it's likely my BCM. At least confident enough to spend $60 on ebay to try a swap before bringing it in to Hyundai dealership. Currently, none of these work:

- Rear defrost
- Intermittent wipers (they work if I just turn them on however)
- Power windows
- Need to boost my battery every day. I don't see any lights or accessories remain on to drain battery, so I'm not sure if this is related to my BCM troubles or this is independent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts