Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

My sonata 2009 power windows for the rear passenger doors are not working.
From the driver's master switch , i can control all 4 power windows with no problem. But if i go to the rear doors (LH and RH) and use the power window switch from there. The windows don't go up or done. There is no sound like the motor is moving.

Not very familiar with power windows circuit. But base on the description, by deduction, does it mean the rear power windows switch is broken ? Is there anything that i should check also. Is there any sites that has a diagram on how the power windows are interconnected.

TIA

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
There's a switch near the driver's power window switch that disables the rear power windows to keep junior from playing with the rear window. Is it in the off/disable position?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
power windows problem

There's a switch near the driver's power window switch that disables the rear power windows to keep junior from playing with the rear window. Is it in the off/disable position?
I just went to the car to double check. The power windows lock switch is off. The symptom i described earlier wasn't correct. On the Rear LH door, the power windows switch can lower the window but not bring it up. On the rear RH door, the power window switch can neither open or close the window.

From the master power windows switch on the driver's side. i can open close all 4 windows.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
On the Rear LH door, the power windows switch can lower the window but not bring it up. On the rear RH door, the power window switch can neither open or close the window.

From the master power windows switch on the driver's side. i can open close all 4 windows.
thanks.
Since they work from the driver's door, the motor for each rear door window is fine. IMO, the switch is faulty, or bad/dirty/loose wire contacts, on the rear door switches.
John

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Agreed. The switch is cheap but replacing it can be difficult if you've never removed the door panel before.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Until you open the panel..you won't know...it is switch or damaged wiring..

Get switches from scrap yard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Sonata rt. rear window goes down but not up from either drivers switch or local switch. All other windows OK.

I note motor has two wires (white and dark brown) and motor changes direction by reversing voltage. The motor is itself not grounded. The voltage is reversed at the switch. The switch has the dark brown and white wires plus green, yellow, and a couple of very thin wires, which are probably for the switch illumination light.

trouble-shooting results:

1. Motor runs fine both directions when connected to an independent 12v power source but will run only down when connected to the car wiring.
2. The voltage at the disconnected motor plug reads + or - 12.5 volts between the two contacts when the switch is operated up and down. However, when under load with the motor connected, the voltage for the up direction only registers about 0.2 volts when the switch is operated for up. (For down, the voltage changes very little when the motor runs, to about 12.2 volts at the motor.)

Conclusion: Something is causing up voltage to drop to almost zero when the circuit is loaded for the up direction. Perhaps there is a very high resistance somewhere, a sometimes characteristic of a failed switch, but the switch does not get hot when held in the up position and motor connected. Is there a current limiter somewhere? Perhaps this relates to a safety function designed to prevent the motor from continuing to run up if it encounters an obstruction.

I am at my wits end and I don't know what to look for or where to look. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,547 Posts
2008 Sonata rt. rear window goes down but not up from either drivers switch or local switch. All other windows OK.
Statement of problem

I note motor has two wires (white and dark brown) and motor changes direction by reversing voltage. The motor is itself not grounded. The voltage is reversed at the switch. The switch has the dark brown and white wires plus green, yellow, and a couple of very thin wires, which are probably for the switch illumination light.
Okay, two wires for powering window. Direction is controlled by voltage polarity.

Conclusion: Something is causing up voltage to drop to almost zero when the circuit is loaded for the up direction. Perhaps there is a very high resistance somewhere, a sometimes characteristic of a failed switch, but the switch does not get hot when held in the up position and motor connected. Is there a current limiter somewhere? Perhaps this relates to a safety function designed to prevent the motor from continuing to run up if it encounters an obstruction.
If two wire system ..
One wire (say wire A) is grounded for down and one wire (say wire B ) is powered to 12 volts
And window goes down .. Okay

If wire A was grounded for down is now powered for up then is the wire shorted to ground through corrosion
or frayed then there would be no power to bring window up
Wire B is now the grounded for the up function.
Both wires are now grounds and there is no power for window to move up
(Should check fuses)

I am at my wits end and I don't know what to look for or where to look. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.
You already have the answer. You're just not seeing it through calm eyes.
Panic and the desire to get it fixed now is blocking your thinking.

Look at the wire that was ground for window down function .
It will still be low or no voltage for up function.
Check wiring for short to ground.
(also check fuses)

Please note that frayed or short usually happens where there is movement of wire or something near it

Hope this helps
Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
My hyundai i20 rear power windows are not coming up and down.I checked it from driver's door and also from each rear door but front power windows are working from both the sides.Can i know whats the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Santa Fe Sport driver side rear window will not go up or down from its switch or the master switch. all others work fine . what is the most likely problem?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Too many people at once trying to relate their window problems even for various other models. This has to be either the window motor, wiring or the linkage. If you don't hear anything when you do the switch it could be the motor or it could be the wiring to the motor. Get a meter or a power probe and see if there is 12v there when you do the switch. Some other good troubleshooting advice above from Avisitor. Here are some related wiring diagrams from a 2006 Sonata (NF)
windows 1 of 3.jpg windows 2 of 3.jpg windows 3 of 3.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts