Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2018 Tucson SEL PLUS w/2.0L AWD and I was wondering...If I would be able to use a ECU from a 2.4L Tucson Sport which produces 181 HP as oppose to my 164 HP? I know the sport has a larger engine but maybe if I was to swap out the ECU, I'd be able to get more of a kick on take off! I do not want to install no KN cold air intake filter, I would like something with better results (short of installing a Turbo). The car is nice but needs a little help getting on the Hwy or pulling away from a traffic light!

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Your 2.0 Liter engine/ECU combo produces 164 horsepower. That's 164/2 = 82 horsepower per liter.

The 2.4 Liter engine/ECU combo produces 181 horsepower. That's 181/2.4 = 75.4 horsepower per liter.

So if you used the ECU out of the Tucson Sport, it would give you 75.4 hp X 2 liters = 150 Hp. A loss of 14 horsepower!

Of course, that's not the way it works at all :) Engine design plays a large part. Besides the displacement, the efficiency of the intake, the valves, the combustion chambers and exhaust all play a major role. The ECU's for each engine are tuned to provide the best balance between performance, mileage and low emissions

As grcauto points out, a performance chip would be the best route to follow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks grcauto and jwt873 I will look into that performance chip suggestion and thank you for breakdown of the HP info!

John...

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Wow that's a good price too. Think I spent 200 to 300 on my VW about 6 or so years ago.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
A friend of mine back in PA did performance programming for many different vehicle makes, some of the German and Sweden made vehicles required more coding for some reason. I don't know why, I'm not a coder, but that made the programming more expensive.

Reactions: gshappell

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yes, by far cheaper then most European vehicles. My Mini Cooper S ECU reflash cost $500 and goes up from there for the extras.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You might not get very much tuned/ remapping/ or ECU chip, maybe least 5 HP or little more but my Tucson Night already tuned with turbo make a lot power already.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The performance chips can help. Here's a link to the 2016. Message them about yours.
https://performancechiprevamp.com/h...-GMXIagjE2w1ls4HPF94Ipui1ONCh9BRoC9VwQAvD_BwE

Looks like classic snake oil to me.
1. Has only two wires coming out. Likely just a $0.05 resistor in that fancy case.
2. No installation details on the website, except it's quick and simple.
3. Gain 60HP from a naturally aspirated engine that already has good breathing? Ridiculous!

These things are typically just a resistor that goes in series with the engine temp sensor to make the computer think the engine is colder.
This leads to a richer fuel/air mix and a very slight increase in power and throttle response.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Looks like classic snake oil to me.

I'm not sure about that. I haven't looked at this particular manufacturers stuff but I have seen others using a special monitor. They change the maps used in fueling decisions by the PCM.

1. Has only two wires coming out. Likely just a $0.05 resistor in that fancy case.

The class II bus or CAN communication lines are two wire twisted pairs.

2. No installation details on the website, except it's quick and simple.

Two wire hookup should be quick.

3. Gain 60HP from a naturally aspirated engine that already has good breathing? Ridiculous!

I imagine that would be for the biggest engines and I think they fudge the numbers a bit. Kind of the way manufacturers fudged their numbers of big block hemis to appease the government in the late 60's and 70's. Only they reported under HP actual results.

These things are typically just a resistor that goes in series with the engine temp sensor to make the computer think the engine is colder.
This leads to a richer fuel/air mix and a very slight increase in power and throttle response

If they were wired into the CTS circuit I would be very surprised. That would likely not achieve the results you mention. Probably the opposite. Like running a carb engine with the choke partially on.

I'm not endorsing these 'tuners' just giving the information to the guy. The final decision is his.

Myself I would take it to a performance shop that has the ability to do software changes. NOT CHEAP.
Actually if it were me I would trade it to one I wanted.
No harm, no fuel, I mean foul :laugh:

Reactions: 1078321

·
Registered
219 Posts
I’m more intrigued by this “piggyback” tuner and it’s supposed gains to the 1.6t. Is anybody willing to cough up the grand asking price and try it out?https://www.ptronic.com/performance-chip-hyundai-tucson-1-6-t-gdi-177.htm
In a nutshell, a piggyback tricks the computer in order to achieve a desired result. It doesn't have direct control over engine operation, and it can not surpass certain limits/restrictions imposed by the factory computer. A proper tune is a much better way to go for the goal you have set.

A proper tune is as if the computer was programmed for the car to output those power levels from the factory without intercepting signals, etc.

Reactions: insanekiwi

·
Registered
219 Posts
Only the way you can tuned if you have turbocharger already came in.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
In a nutshell, a piggyback tricks the computer in order to achieve a desired result.

It's not a trick they are the maps used by the PCM for fuel delivery.
It doesn't have direct control over engine operation, and it can not surpass certain limits/restrictions imposed by the factory computer.

Yes it does. It's a different map is all.
A proper tune is a much better way to go for the goal you have set.
A proper tune is as if the computer was programmed for the car to output those power levels from the factory without intercepting signals, etc.
This proper tune you mention can be very expensive. Putting it on a dyno and playing around with the mapping until you get the desired results. That's if you can actually achieve the desired results.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You might not get very much tuned/ remapping/ or ECU chip, maybe least 5 HP or little more but my Tucson Night already tuned with turbo make a lot power already.
SuperHybrid101, where and what type of tune / re-flash, did you receive for the 2017 Tuscon Night Edition 1.6L? "my Tucson Night already tuned with turbo make a lot power already", was additional power gain dyno tested?

·
Registered
219 Posts
SuperHybrid101, where and what type of tune / re-flash, did you receive for the 2017 Tuscon Night Edition 1.6L? "my Tucson Night already tuned with turbo make a lot power already", was additional power gain dyno tested?
Yes, I have 1.6L with turbocharger and I got mine from Sxth Element and I did put on dyno and power gained pretty much!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiWr7rpATlf/?hl=en&taken-at=1809586942607249

The picture you see? That's my Tucson Night on dyno and I already added AEM Charge Pipe and AEM Cold Air Take combine with tuned.

2016+ Hyundai Tucson Sub Classes

Reactions: gshappell

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
To confirm, you brought your vehicle to SXTH Element facility and received the Custom Tune (Hyundai Tucson Turbo), with AEM charge pipes and intake installed, when vehicle was placed on dyno, correct?
So for about $1,100.00, vehicle gained additional 18 -23 ft-lb torque, and 15 HP. Believe that to be respectable.
Has gas mileage changed, or have any codes / Check Engine Light, occured since receiving the tune?
Thank you for taking the time and posting! Unfortunate that the only way to receive the tune, is to visit the SXTH facility.

·
Registered
219 Posts
To confirm, you brought your vehicle to SXTH Element facility and received the Custom Tune (Hyundai Tucson Turbo), with AEM charge pipes and intake installed, when vehicle was placed on dyno, correct?
So for about $1,100.00, vehicle gained additional 18 -23 ft-lb torque, and 15 HP. Believe that to be respectable.
Has gas mileage changed, or have any codes / Check Engine Light, occured since receiving the tune?
Thank you for taking the time and posting! Unfortunate that the only way to receive the tune, is to visit the SXTH facility.
Correct! I was hope that I get 50 HP gain but it still good enough for now.

The gas mileage dramatically improved if driving as civilization manner on city would be about 27 MPG and on highway would be about 31 MPG or 32ish MPG and yes only way you can visit SXTH Facility. Since around May 2018 and no code error or anything wearing down. Only thing need to change the spark plugs HKS M45XL for better with tune, that's.

Trust me, when you floor it and gone in dust from dead stop. I wish I could post video with tune sound from here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts