Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 2003 Santa Fe 2.7L V6 with about 120,000 miles on it. I recently did a transmission fluid flush and replaced the water pump, which was bad.

I was driving up to the mountains this weekend (which is typical) and about half way there I noticed a whine coming from the engine that was matching my acceleration. When I got to my destination, the car was really whining during low-speed turns. After parking it, I immediately checked out the serpentine belt and power steering pump to see if anything was wrong. I noticed a decent amount of fluid covering the p/s resevoir, but couldn't find any other problems. Despite seeing fluid around the p/s pump, the resevoir is still close to full.

I let the car sit for a couple days and drove home today without any issues. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I had this same problem a year or so ago with roughly the same mileage as you and eventually the PS fluid will start gushing out of the top of the tank. What happens is the filter at the bottom of the reservoir gets all clogged up and the fluid can't circulate fast enough. So what happens? It looks for the point of least resistance. I had to have my entire fluid tank replaced and the noise (and leak) went away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey lovemysantafe, thanks for the great info. It doesn't look like a new p/s pump resevoir is too much ($46 through shophyundaiparts.com). Did you replace it yourself? Any tips?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The TSB says replace the tank, but you don't need a new tank. The little filter at the bottom is clogged. Just empty the tank with a turkey baster, take it off and clean it out. Takes less time than driving to the dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, hopefully that'll save me some money. I took off the resevoir and looked at the filter. It didn't look too dirty or cloged, only a few black specs. The fluid on the otherhand was close to black, so I'll be replacing that soon.

Could dark fluid have the same effect as a clogged filter?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I'd just clean it out with carb cleaner or something and put it back on, see what happens.

Dark fluid is plainly a bad thing. Next thing is the seals on the steering rack will start to leak.

If I were you, I'd suck out the fluid and replace a bunch of times until the fluid is clean.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
A bit more efficient way to change the fluid would be to route the return line into a catch bucket, fill the bottle, and let the new oil push the old dirty oil out... have assistant start for few seconds while you watch oil level... also turn steer wheel lock to lock while pouring oil into bottle while running.. when satisfied with clean oil out of tube, re-connect return tube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Read the posts here, and before going through the expense of replacing the power steering pump (which my local shop said was probably on its way out) I ordered a new reservoir online at partsgeek.com and figured I would try that first. Being a relative newbie at automotive mechanics I was worried that it would take a while to change the part out myself and cause a huge mess of old steering fluid. I am shocked and amazed at how easy it was to replace, with very little spillage. As long as you're careful and put a jar or equivalent under each nozzle as you detach the 2 hoses there should be very little cleanup to worry about. The old reservoir popped right out and the new one popped in even faster. reattached the hoses, filled it up and then tested the steering (which apparently also acts to bleed the system of air). Took it for a test drive with lots of turning to both left and right steering stops and no noise. Checked everything after test drive and no problems. Worked like a charm and that horrendous whine is totally gone. Only regret is that when i turned the car back on i saw more of the old dirty steering fluid flush into the reservoir so I probably should have totally drained it and replaced. But I can wait until the weekend to do that. But for those of you who are dealing with that very loud steering whine, which also seems to manifest even when driving straight as you accelerate, I highly recommend checking the reservoir issue first before exploring the more expensive and involved pump replacement route.

QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jun 14 2010, 02:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332787
I had this same problem a year or so ago with roughly the same mileage as you and eventually the PS fluid will start gushing out of the top of the tank. What happens is the filter at the bottom of the reservoir gets all clogged up and the fluid can't circulate fast enough. So what happens? It looks for the point of least resistance. I had to have my entire fluid tank replaced and the noise (and leak) went away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts