Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm having a serious problem with my 2-year old 09 Sonata and was wondering if anyone could help.

It happened for the third time: after driving for a couple minutes, numerous dashboard signals flared up and my power steering suddenly seemed to turn off - all in the middle of driving. The first two times I took the car in, they found problems. One of the malfunctioning components was the timing belt, and they replaced it for us. After the third time, however, they couldn't find any problems and my car was deemed "perfectly normal." They didn't do anything for us.

Now, I'm left with a 'normal car' that I know will show the same problem sooner or later.. maybe in a more dangerous situation than the previous 3.

Has anyone else had a similar problem like this? and if you have, how did you go about dealing with it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Our Sonatas don't have a timing belt. Did they say "serpintine belt"? The serpintine belt on my 2006 V6 drives everything, including the alternator. You didn't say which engine you have. If you have major slippage, not only will you lose power steering but your dashboard can light up like a Christmas tree as your electrical system loses power. I wonder if you have a bad harmonic balancer or tensioner? The former is a common problem on Hyundais (but easy for the tech to miss) while the latter would have been obvious when they replaced the belt.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Which engine ? 2.4 or 3.3 ??

Be kinda odd for a 2009 V6 to have damper come aprt, but anything is possible.

Both engines only have (1) drive belt wrapped around everything... BTW, the steering did not "shut off"... you just lost assist and steering got heavy without the oil pump to provide assist.. all the lights coming on is result of alternator not being turned, so now electric to cancel the lights.. you also lose water pump------ so dont drive it, you'll over heat it,, and that all folks, cooked engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this problem off and on for several years. It mostly happened on the freeways and was a real safety concern. Because I began experiencing problems with the car not starting I changed the starter relay and haven't had it happen in over a year since then. The starting problem continues to happen occasionally but if I get out and rock the car forward while in park it will always then start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts