Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mechanic recently reported that the power steering pump was "sweating". Said to keep an eye on the power steering fluid level and keep it up, but not to worry about doing anything else since it was insignificant.

However, today I noticed that the power steering rack is leaking and the leak seems to be more substantial. It's fairly light but certainly more significant than the pump "sweating".

Anyway, has anyone had any positive experience with the Lucas or other's power steering stop leak product? Are they effective, or just snake oil?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is no such thing as "Rebuild in a Can"

Where is rack leaking,, dont really matter, Re-Man rack in your future, add alignment after replacement,, do 4 wheel align

Reactions: profgolf1

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sbr711:

The leak seams to be at the drivers side end of the rack.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If the rack is leaking you will eventually need to replace it. A rack is expensive (think in the $1000 range) and the pump, though less so, costs a good chunk of change too. Since they are both leaking and will require replacement, there is no harm in using some stop-leak fluid in an effort to stall the inevetible.

I think I used Valvoline Max-Life years ago which actually slowed down a pump seal leak to the point it practically stopped. Just kept the level up in the reservoir with it until the level stopped dropping, then added no more but kept the bottle in case I would need more. I think it took half the bottle to halt or slow the leak to the point it was just a minor annoyance instead of an impending disaster. Since mine was fine, I used the other half of the bottle to top off the pump's leaky reservoir on a neighbor's Honda Civic. She waves at me now as she goes to and from work so it works fine. She's friendly, possibly because I'm her grandpa's age and she knows the arthritis lives here in me so she can run faster that I can.

Reactions: DarrenBach

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DSHornet:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Like you, I have stopped chasing the girls.

Reactions: DSHornet

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hyundai Re-Man rack available for handfull of model, I think the "CM" chassis one of them... cost is in the $450 -500 ballpark,, call or visit part dept with VIN to verify.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,848 Posts
Make sure it is not the PS lines leaking. The aluminum hard tubing can get a hole from abrasion.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
He didn't say he stopped. Just couldn't catch them any more.
It just wasn't worth the pain in hips and knees. Feet. Back. Shoulders. :grin2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SBR711:

Thanks for that important tip. I will check with the dealer.

Red Raspberry:

Thank you as well. I will check all the lines for possible leaks.

Regards.

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All:

I did try the Lucas power steering stop leak and it did not solve the problem.

I ended up having to replace the rack at a cost of $1,600.00

However, I do not regret having first tried the stop leak. At about 1% of the cost of the rack, it was a worthwhile gamble.

Happy motoring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, Folks,

Since we are on the topic, what kind/type of power steering fluid does the 2009 Santa FE (3.3L) need? Thanks!

Regards,

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hi, Folks,

Since we are on the topic, what kind/type of power steering fluid does the 2009 Santa FE (3.3L) need? Thanks!

Regards,
If memory serves, it's Hyundai PSF-3.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lo-tse:

It is PSF-3 and you can get it at the Hyundai dealer, although I have heard it is cheaper at the KIA dealer.

I just bought some for Hyundai/KIA at Canadian Tire. They only sell synthetic, which was $26.99 per litre, but there should be no problem in mixing it with conventional PSF-3.

Regards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gentlemen, thank you for the responses. My understanding is that PSF-3 is just Hyundai 's code for power steering fluid. I am trying to buy this from other parts stores e.g. Part Source, Can Tire etc. so I hope I can get more info regrading the grade or spec of the fluid. My mechanic just mentioned that it is just a hydraulic fluid :confused: .
@M in Toronto, 27$ a liter sounds expensive even though it is synthetic. I remembered I bought a half liter bottle of synthetic PSF from Walmart about 10-12 years ago for 5-6 $ (may be inflation is really that high :surprise:). I recalled that bottle was a very common grade of PSF used by many vehicles (Ford, GM etc.). To bad I threw it out a few years ago.

I'll go to the dealer and check with them.

Thanks again!

Regards,

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,848 Posts
PSF-3 is superseded by PSF-4. Ridiculously priced IMHO. I went to Prestone in a quart bottle at under $5 for my Accent with 140k miles at the time. No problems in a year.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lo-tse:

I agree. I had bought some Certified PSF for $6.99 per litre at Canadian tire and actually opened the bottle, so I own it.

But I was nervous putting in in the new rack since it does not say what it is and it says check the owner's manual before installing. Of course the owner's manual makes no mention of this but just says PSF-3.

That's why I chickened out and put the extremely expensive Hyundai approved synthetic in.

It is 4 times as expensive as the Certified and the certified is probably just fine, but I did not want to take the chance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Red Raspberry:

Thanks for the extra information.

Is the PSF-4 synthetic? Is that why it is so expensive?

I have been running good quality regular 5W20 oil, changing at the Manual recommended 12,000km. interval with an OEM filter. With 277,000km. (172,000mi.) now, the car starts quickly winter and summer, still gets the same mileage as when new and does not burn any oil or need any added between the oil changes.

I see no reason for switching to synthetic power steering fluid at this point.

I will try to do some more research on the Certified and, hopefully find that I can go ahead and use it in the future.

Regards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know why Hyundai did not provide more info on the power steering fluid. Typically, in many car manuals, the grade/spec of the PSF was listed.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.