Hyundai Forums banner

Power steering quits when it's raining and AC is on..

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Dog Patch Steve 
#1 ·
Ok, so fairly recent development. Anytime it rains and my air conditioning is on, three things happen: my power steering just QUITS and I have to put every bit of force I have into turning my car, my brakes get insanely tight, and my "you don't have a seat belt on" light starts flashing on my dash. Before all this starts I hear a squalling sound, but not the same sound as if there's water on my serpentine belt. Now, it only lasts a few seconds, but that's several seconds too many to not have any control. I have a bit of control but have messed up my shoulder trying to turn my baby. As long as I turn my ac off as soon as my seat belt light starts flashing, I can gauge how long this crap is going to happen.
Prior to this I had an issue with my front right esc off/abs lights on my dash coming on when all this happened. Replaced my right axle and wheel speed sensor, which stopped that problem. My serpentine belt was replaced a few months back, so I'm thinking either pulleys, my compressor, or a short in some wiring? Just need some ideas from someone who might have dealt with this. Kinda scary driving through Memphis with no ability to turn and my air bag module being bad (sure as **** wish hyundai or the nhsta would issue a recall on that one).
Sorry if this appears scattered, I'm on my phone and on break at work.
Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#4 ·
The belt is brand new, as is the power steering pump/pulley. Tensioner is automatic and I can't find anything online that says how I'd even tighten the belt. It's not your typical squealing noise from a belt, it's very low pitched. Now it's doing it without the AC running but pumps still function. I've wondered if it's the compressor. Not really looking forward to replacing a tensioner. I've also considered bad wiring? Compressor is running fine it seems, cabin air temp is fine, as is refrigerant.

#8 ·
Long winded and detailed but scatterbrained info incoming:

Ok so I checked the ac clutch yesterday and it's spinning fine. Engaging fine when I turn the AC on. Went to a local junkyard and grabbed a splash guard I realized I was missing that covers the pulley system. Contrary to popular belief, you really do need the covers. Engines + water doesn't mix well. You have to take part of the cover running along the frame to get the cover on btw. Created a few new cuss words installing the thing. While I was at it, I took some electrical tape and wrapped the wiring harness that connected to the compressor then wiped the tape down with wd-40 (it's actually not that flammable and a good waterproofer in a pinch. You can take a lighter, spray a stream at the flame, and the stream will push the flame aside. You can also use it to diagnose noise from balljoints, bushings, control arms, etc). Unless you have some good control over the spray, just spray it on a paper towel, you do not want that stuff on your belt! Given there isn't any other performance issues when the issue starts, I find it hard to believe it has anything to do with pulleys. Given the clutch spins separately from the pulley, it just doesn't make sense that it is solely the compressor. (The power steering and brakes would quit working along with the seatbelt light flashing/beeping at me before I lost control) But if water was getting on the wiring harness that's ALSO connected to the alternator that literally powers the car as it's running (after it's cranked), it would make more sense that the electronic aspects of the car would be affected. It's been raining here for two days now, after working on her I took her on a ride for about an hour. No noise. So, I'm going to drive around again today (RIP my gas) and see if I can reproduce the issue again. I also checked to see if anything was getting wet after my drive yesterday and just saw a wet spot here and there but clutch/compressor completely dry. Here's a warning for those desperate though, don't take a small cup of water and sprinkle drops of water on any pulleys. I know it was a dumb move but it's hard to recreate the issue when it's dry out. Yes I'm well aware it's stupid but you gotta do what you gotta do. Otherwise, my only other idea is to go find a used/working compressor and replace it which is going to be my last resort fix. Will update after my ride today and if I have the problem again down the line. Hope it helps ❤

#9 ·
Long winded and detailed but scatterbrained info incoming:

Ok so I checked the ac clutch yesterday and it's spinning fine. Engaging fine when I turn the AC on. Went to a local junkyard and grabbed a splash guard I realized I was missing that covers the pulley system. Contrary to popular belief, you really do need the covers. Engines + water doesn't mix well. You have to take part of the cover running along the frame to get the cover on btw. Created a few new cuss words installing the thing. While I was at it, I took some electrical tape and wrapped the wiring harness that connected to the compressor then wiped the tape down with wd-40 (it's actually not that flammable and a good waterproofer in a pinch. You can take a lighter, spray a stream at the flame, and the stream will push the flame aside. You can also use it to diagnose noise from balljoints, bushings, control arms, etc). Unless you have some good control over the spray, just spray it on a paper towel, you do not want that stuff on your belt! Given there isn't any other performance issues when the issue starts, I find it hard to believe it has anything to do with pulleys. Given the clutch spins separately from the pulley, it just doesn't make sense that it is solely the compressor. (The power steering and brakes would quit working along with the seatbelt light flashing/beeping at me before I lost control) But if water was getting on the wiring harness that's ALSO connected to the alternator that literally powers the car as it's running (after it's cranked), it would make more sense that the electronic aspects of the car would be affected. It's been raining here for two days now, after working on her I took her on a ride for about an hour. No noise. So, I'm going to drive around again today (RIP my gas) and see if I can reproduce the issue again. I also checked to see if anything was getting wet after my drive yesterday and just saw a wet spot here and there but clutch/compressor completely dry. Here's a warning for those desperate though, don't take a small cup of water and sprinkle drops of water on any pulleys. I know it was a dumb move but it's hard to recreate the issue when it's dry out. Yes I'm well aware it's stupid but you gotta do what you gotta do. Otherwise, my only other idea is to go find a used/working compressor and replace it which is going to be my last resort fix. Will update after my ride today and if I have the problem again down the line. Hope it helps ❤
My 2009 Sonata 2.4L having same issue but only if driving in rain. Ordered the Splash Shield <1 piece unit> as it wasn't there when bought the car. Uncertain what bolts needed to attach as it has not arrived yet. What was the end reult of your testing? Yes, realize this is an old thread but new to me. Any information would be appreciated.

#11 ·
V6 is all to common for the crank pulley to seperate and spin from the center hub.. usually not noticed until a/c turned on, and steering turned tight to lock. Look for skid marks on chain cover from pulley ring riding cover. Sometimes you can have assistant work steering wheel and you watch pulley move, or see belt briefly stall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.