Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2002 Accent.
So last weekend I replaced my timing belt and my 3 other belts. Before I did this the belts were not squeaking and I was not having any issues with my power steering. I started my car up and the power steering pump was making lots of noise, the power steering reservoir was still full. I was told it's probably the power steering pump and that I would need a new one. So I got a new one, put it on and still the same thing. I looked online and saw that it may be an air bubble in the line so I removed the cap on the reservoir and, with the car turned off and the front wheels off the ground, cranked the wheels lock to lock about 20 times. I started the car and it still makes noise. This morning the power steering felt like it was lagging as I was backing out of my driveway and the squeaking happens when I am idling and gets louder and worse up to about 2000 rpm then stops, which it has been doing since I replaced the belts. I am not sure what else to do, did I mess up the new pump by driving and not bleeding the air out?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
first: do not replace parts like that until you can prove that it needs it. your above story is why. we see countless stories such as yours and they come here after replacing random parts, spending money only to have the same problem. so just stop it!

the answer is simple. your belt tension isn't right. these V belts tend to squeak a lot. use some belt dressing if it really bothers you. it sounds like you didn't get it tight enough. i use a prybar under the pump to tighten and then a socket with my other hand to clamp the pump adjustment.

so....you replaced the pump for a loose belt by the sounds of it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Tighten the alternator-water pump belt.. notice the minimal contact with the pulley.

P/S steering has a full 360 contact via 2 pulley, so you need good grip at water pump pulley to pull the load of the P/S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts