Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a squeaking noise when steering sharply for a few months now.
Following the advice from a couple years ago from sbr, I tightened the alternator belt, and the squeak stopped. About 4 months ago, it's back.
I went to O'Reilly's to look at belt dressing, and the counter guy came out, we opened the hood and he said turn the wheel all the way. The squealing started and he said, "oh." He had me look while he turned the wheel, and what happens is when it starts to get to a certain angle, the pulley on the power steering pump just locks and the squealing starts.

It was late and getting dark and cold when I got home, so I didn't check it out, but tomorrow is supposed to be nicer, so I'll crack the hood and check it out.

Anyone have any insights to offer?

BTW, the more the electrical load (headlights, heater fan, RW defroster) the worse it gets. Turning off accessories makes it go away faster.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Yea when you turn full lock the pump pressure skyrockets and if the belt starts slipping the pump pulley slows down. Stop not too sure (it's been a while since I did a pump output test) but I would start with a new belt.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
When you adjust the alternator belt it changes tension on the power steering pump belt too. I've found the PS belt doesn't have to be very tight at all. It's the cogged style belt.

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we got Mom a new Hospital bed today, so my plan to check it out kinda went down the tubes. Not only that but I gave her old Hotel-style bed to a friend, and we had a great deal of fun moving that one out of here and then into his house later.

Take out stock in the company that makes Motrin, folks...

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tighten or replace the belt.
And the correct answer is.....fanfare, please!

Tighten the belt!

I thought the alternator and PS pump were on the same belt, and I had tightened the alternator belt a few weeks before the squealing started.

For winning the prize, go to you favourite bar, order a shot of 25 year old Scotch, and tell the bartender it's on me.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
And the correct answer is.....fanfare, please!

Tighten the belt!

I thought the alternator and PS pump were on the same belt, and I had tightened the alternator belt a few weeks before the squealing started.

For winning the prize, go to you favourite bar, order a shot of 25 year old Scotch, and tell the bartender it's on me.
I'll do that.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts