Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I need help trying to replace a leaking power steering hose. Btw, it's a '99 Sonata GLS V6. The pin hole leak apparently is coming from a rubber hose connected to a metal hose on either end. It's located at the bottom, rear of the engine, passenger side, right next to what looks like the alternator. Ok so I've determined which hose needs to be replaced but I can't seem to disconnect it from the metal hose. The fitting/connector doesn't appear to be a bolt on type or something. I've attempted to loosen it simply by holding the connector with my hand and turning it counterclockwise with as much torque as I can, but the rubber hose seems force it to rebound back to it's original position. So how can I disconnect this hose?? Thanks.

[attachment=20190:power_st...uid_leak.JPG] The leaking hose is the golden brown shiny one

[attachment=20191:New_Image.JPG] this is the fiiting/connector that connects to the metal hose

[attachment=20192:New_Image2.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (jonsonata @ Sep 8 2010, 07:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355131

The hose comes as the high pressure ruuber assembled to a steel tube that runs across top of rack to the spool valve.. DONT waste your time trying to seperate the steel line from the rubber line, replace the whole part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^thanks for the reply. Ok so how and where do I detach this whole hose line unit?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hyundai sells the line as an assembly...

Pressure hose run from banjo bolt at P/S pump through rubber hydraulic hose to steel line just above rack, then steel line continue on to spool valve at rack.

Return line is multiple piece... most commonly replaced piece runs from spool valve to joint at right front corner of frame at bottom corner of radiator (easiest seen by removing A/C fan at passenger side of radiator).

We typically keep both piece in stock.

G

·
Help

Hyundai sells the line as an assembly...

Pressure hose run from banjo bolt at P/S pump through rubber hydraulic hose to steel line just above rack, then steel line continue on to spool valve at rack.

Return line is multiple piece... most commonly replaced piece runs from spool valve to joint at right front corner of frame at bottom corner of radiator (easiest seen by removing A/C fan at passenger side of radiator).

We typically keep both piece in stock.
Can you tell me what the items are that I labeled on the image in this link? Is "A" the pressure hose? Where should I look for the power steering pump in regards to this picture? https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...44060751_1535972346_31705393_2141855575_n.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Can you tell me what the items are that I labeled on the image in this link? Is "A" the pressure hose? Where should I look for the power steering pump in regards to this picture? https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...44060751_1535972346_31705393_2141855575_n.jpg
Your "DRIVES" does not say which engine you have...

P/S pump is not in your picture... follow large feed line from P/S oil resevoir to the P/S pump...

"A" is the return line (low pressure)

"B" if extended on straight past the harness in your pic is the high pressure hose..

"C" is a hydraulic tube from spool valve to 1 side of the power assist portion of rack

"D" is the steering rack

Return line is same for the 4 and 6, pressure line is different for the 4 and 6

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
57510-38000 hose assembly - power steering oil pressure 2.4l --> $249.57

57560-38000 HOSE - COMPLETE RETURN --> $78.56

Add bottle of plain old P/S oil

G

·
It looks like I need a lift to change this hose. I only have jack stands. I'm in a bind. The power steering pump works right now. The pressure hose I showed in my previous picture has a crack in it. Is there a way to disconnect the pump instead of changing the hose? I used to have a car that the power steering had gone out of, it was a pain to drive at first, but it was fine. Can a 2000 model Hyundai still drive and maneuver if the power steering is disengaged? I really need my car and I don't have the money to take it to a shop because I don't own a lift. Seriously frustrated. Please help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts