Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 santa fe 2.4l

Trying to remove the hose that connects from the pump to the rack. I have it removed from the pump but i cant figure out how to remove the other end that connects to the rack. I cant fit any tool back there. i removed the plastic engine cover to gain some room but there is virtually no room to do anything back there.

whats the trick?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ended up finding a band saw and proceeded to sever both of my arms at the elbow. Inserting long wooden dowels at the end of my arms gave my friend the necessary reach we needed to access the end of the hose behind the engine. Using a wrench he backed up the flare nut, and loosened the steering rack fluid nut with another wrench. The hose is now replaced along with the pump, etc. It was a messy job but an adventure I will never soon forget.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Easier on a rack, and with the 2.4 being a 2WD only set-up, everything pretty well out in open.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oil line nut end.

Best to get under the car, not sure how anyone can reach behind the intake manifold

As you likely can't get a box end wrench onto the nut, and an open end wrench will just turn thru the hex, your gonna have a problem getting the nut out..

Usually it also held on a little tighter with the factory supplied rust that Hyundai has built in..:mellow:

I trick I use is to break the line right at the nut, bending fatiguing the steel line until it breaks ..
Then you should be able to get a 6 sided socket , may need a deep one, over the nut and be able to get enough torque into the nut to break it loose..

Some penetrating lube beforehand is also helpful..

Think about the next guy and put some anti-sieze on the thread and inner barrel of the nut before re- assembly:D

Anti - seize is your friend for the future

whacker

1 - 4 of 4 Posts