Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i am supposed to changethis fluid. Do you guys flush or do you usea turkey baster to take the fluid out? Is it ok to sythetic fluid?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What brand do you use for the powersteering fluid? Thanks at canadian tire i did not see any sythetic. Will sythetic fix hardsteering in cold winters when i first started the car? I have no noise problem but at -30at start up it is hard to turnthe seeringweel.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
What brand do you use for the powersteering fluid?
How old is your car.....and how many miles ??

The power steering is a hydraulic system and typically does NOT need the fluid changed for a LONG time.......if ever.

ATF is often used in the power steering too.

Do you have an owners manual ??
It should have a recommended change interval (if any) and what fluid to use.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2009 hyundai accent. 50k. Manual does not say anything but i thought it would not hurt. At minus 35 in ontario at start up the steerinwheel is very tight for a few minutes. Thought sythetic would help.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Manual does not say anything but i thought it would not hurt.
I think your stiffness is not going to go away.
I've even had some cars where the PS would SQUEEL for a minute or so when it was really cold.

I am of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school but let's see if anyone else has any input.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, in my opinion, there is no such thing as a fluid that never needs to be changed. Some may last a lot longer than others. I would do the turkey baster method and replace with fresh fluid. Wouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I did the turkey baster method on my 07 this year. The old fluid was dirty and looked like black coffee. I'm sure that changing the fluid will extend the life of my ps components.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Put water in freezer it gets hard..

Put oil in the freezer it get thicker... hence the stiffer steering feel until friction of pump and oil movement warm up the oil to thin it out..

Sure you can try synthetic, but remember that it'll still get a little thicker when it get colder until it heats up..

Fastest way to change P/S oil is remove return tube at handy place, and run the oil out into container, have co-pilt start/stop engine while you pour clean oil into resevoir to push old oil out.. dont forget to turn both directions to chase old oil out of both sides of slave piston tube..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might be wrong but sythetic is thin and warmed up more quickly so maybe it is better for stiffness for winter

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've just changed the PS fluid in my wifes 07 at 80,000km, she does a lot of city, low speed, lock to lock low speed steering. Which would also explain the 11.8 Ltr/100k fuel economy. (23mpg imp) The fluid was dark and the steering gear was feeling a bit loose and vague. I used some of the left over synthetic transfluid from that service in the PS. The steering is much quieter in operation and does feel 'firmer?' and more responsive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts