Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Yesterday I got in the car and started her up only to find the steering was very stiff. I looked at the fluid and it was a little under the min mark but not empty by any way. I filled it up and of course this had no effect I ran it round for a few miles and it was like driving a old car with no power steering. Now its how to find which part is at fault. On inspection the pump is going round as normal. and looking in the reservoir the oil is swirling round as it there was a return feed. Is that normal?. There is no noise from either the pump or the rack. there is however a damp fitting on one of theP/S hoses but its been like it a couple of years but has never caused the fluid to go down and this is the first time in the 4 years I have ever topped it up Also you know how you get the blow off sound of like a pressure relief when you reach the ends of the rack travel there is non of that either. Which made me wonder does it have a pressure relief valve for that purpose and could that be the problem i.e. stuck open? Or? .Other than that I cannot think what else.it might or could be to have come on so fast. I saw a mention somewhere about air in the system but thought with some fluid still in the resovoir that would not be the case. Even if possible at all?
So If anyone has any suggestions as to what I could do or check that would be a great help.:mellow:

Thanks Osh

·
Registered
538 Posts
Fluid swirl back in the tank is normal, I think this also shows the pressure relief in the pump is not open as the fluid would short cycle straight around the pump I believe and not back to the tank, could be wrong. Can you hear the engine load when you turn the steering wheel? If the engine does not load up you have either a stuck pilot control valve or blown a power piston seal letting the oil pass straight from one side of the rack to the other, how many miles/klm has she done?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Fluid swirl back in the tank is normal, I think this also shows the pressure relief in the pump is not open as the fluid would short cycle straight around the pump I believe and not back to the tank, could be wrong. Can you hear the engine load when you turn the steering wheel? If the engine does not load up you have either a stuck pilot control valve or blown a power piston seal letting the oil pass straight from one side of the rack to the other, how many miles/klm has she done?

Pilot control valve, flow control valve both similar or different components? Is it possible to replace flow control valve separately? or should purchase along with the pump? TKs in advance

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Thanks for the reply. Right to answer your questions re the car. It has done 92k And there is no loading or noise when you turn the wheel at all. I was going to crack off a pressure pipe the one on the top which i can easy get to to see if there is any pressure in the system . Is that not a good idea then. What happend was it was all ok whenI parked it up the night before then the next day I started her up and could feel that it had gone straight away?

Thanks andy

·
Registered
843 Posts
There is a new thread about problems with power steering at the Santa SM forum. Maybe it can help.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
538 Posts
Pilot valves, flow control valves are normally integral with the rack. They are physically located directly where the pressure and return pipes connect to the rack.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE.

I got in the car this morning as I had new rear brake pads fitted and reversed the car down the drive )about 15% incline) to do the near side. That was Monday Got in the following morning and It was back dont ask me how or why but it was back and working I knew as soon as I started to pull up the drive as I could hear it hit the relief valve and I heard that sweet sound once again.. It was odviously nothing to do with changing the pads. Could it have been point it up hill instead of down could somethink have refilled I know it seams strange so iv pointed it down again to see if it goes again then we might know a little more. I will keep you informed. But at the moment im glad as its not cost anything to put right as of yet

Thanks All Osh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts