Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to use my gps and laptop together but anytime I stop the power is shut off the the outlet and it takes a while to reboot everything.

How can I access the back of the power outlet to wire it so it is live without the key being in the on position.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited 1.6T
54 Posts
Reaching the back of the outlet will not solve your problem, since the wires running to the outlet actually loose power when you turn off the ignition. It is a "switched" outlet, meaning when the ignition is off, the power is switched off.

On my old car I just tapped into a constant 12v wire under the dash and ran it to the lighter outlet. Once there I replaced the "switched" wire with this constant wire. Also, and very importantly, put an in line fuse in the new wire you run. This will help protect your electrical system. Use the same rating fuse as what your cigarette or AUX outlet uses to be safe.

Just remember to put that in line fuse in so you don't have a problem bigger than your GPS going off and make sure you disconnect your battery before doing any of this. These constant 12v wires are "hot", if you ground one by mistake you may short out something very important.

Above is just an idea using the past experience I had with my old car, proceed at your own risk. :innocent:

Jon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I didnt phrase my request correctly.
I understand the switching etc, really what I meant was how can I dismantle the plastic console in order to access the wiring so that I can run a fused line from the battery.
I really dont want to start ripping plastic pieces off.

I talked to the mech who does my servicing he said he will do it through the fuse box

This might be the easiest method, using the existing wiring and using an external fuse of the same size.

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I agree; I've had KC's center console and various trim pieces off and it's frustrating/fiddly/not worth it for what you're doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts