Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hope the power comes on soon. Much longer and the next problem will be frozen pipes and flooded basements.

Lurn 2 Spel

·
Registered
654 Posts
Lost power Saturday night. Other than one hour, we never got it back until 8am this morning.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Trickle the water to drain in lowest part of house; incoming water well above freezing point, should avoid pipe damage.

Lots of trees on the lines still getting cleaned up. Getting **** cold over night.

Glad my gas fireplace doesn't need electricity to work. I'm north of TO but only had blips.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Friends of ours in south Ajax still without power.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at a generator at Lowe's, kicks in when the power goes out, but I think it needs a specific breaker box. Maybe I will get one next year.

Lurn 2 Spel

·
Registered
870 Posts
I was without power for close to 24hrs. Not as bad as some, that are still without power going on a week. That ice storm really did a number on the area!!

Here's a pic in front of my dad's house.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
National post quote says 20 percent of trees damaged in TO.
Not many places I have been over Xmas not showing it.

Generator also in my future plans , small maybe 2000 watt , to tun fridge/furnace.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am an apartment dweller...otherwise I would have a generator. Just have to make sure you maintain it even if you are not using it. Some people fill it up with fuel, turn these things on once to try it, and then stash it in the back of a shed for 3 years...

I'm no expert, but this article might be useful when getting a new generator:
Generator Maintenance Tips: The Family Handyman

I am wondering how many of these trees are lost for good. My neighbourhood has lots of huge, beautiful trees and I would say the 20% number is conservative when looking at the number of damaged trees. I wonder how many of the trees are lost for good.

·
22,788 Posts
National post quote says 20 percent of trees damaged in TO.
Not many places I have been over Xmas not showing it.

Generator also in my future plans , small maybe 2000 watt , to tun fridge/furnace.
If you've got a working fridge and heat, phooey on the rest. It'll wait. Creature comfort and nutrition top my list of needs!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah certainly not like the Oklahoma hurricane situation ; I guess we are over reacting a bit. Minor inconvenience really when put in perspective.

·
22,788 Posts
Oh, boy! But doesn't really matter what it is: ice, hurricane, tornado, sunami, earthquakes...it's terrible when it happens. Even more traumatic for those caught up in them. But, in the grand scheme, as long as we're breathing as able to get vertical, everything else pales in comparison.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yeah certainly not like the Oklahoma hurricane situation ; I guess we are over reacting a bit. Minor inconvenience really when put in perspective.
Depends. If you are a young adult and in good health then you can tolerate a lot more. If you are going to be without power for days, then the money saved keeping food fresh might offset the cost of a generator. Now, if you are an older person, or you have a very young child, or someone in poor health, etc then that generator really comes in handy. Throw in some extreme temperatures then the game changes totally.

I think a generator is a sensible investment. A 3000w one can be had for approx $400 at Cdn Tire. Last time we had a major power outage here it was the 2003 blackout. We lost power for 5 days in August, +30c each and every day. We had just filled the fridge up too, and everything spoiled. I cannot remember the cost to replace all the food, but it was significant.

This power outage for us was a day and a half, and we lost about $50 only. I could have prevented that by not opening the fridge, and/or putting some things outside. Just plain forgot to do that. As for my electronics, I did prepare by having batteries and plenty of backup juice.

A tornado like Rich experienced is another kettle of fish though. A generator is not much use if its airborne and a block away, with little warning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts