Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the function of the power/normal button at the left side of the stick of my 1990 automatic transmission sonata (left hand drive)? Thanks.

Also, would anyone know why the car moves (on a flat surface) forward when I shift to drive and backwards when I shift to reverse even before i step on the gas?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
>>Also, would anyone know why the car moves (on a flat surface) forward when I shift to drive and backwards when I shift to reverse even before i step on the gas? <<
this is normal for any auto tranny, that is why you have to apply brakes when stationary and in gear.

the P/N switch is a shift pattern selection interfase. keep it in P, and select N only if there are slippery road condition. here in the cold north, we use the N position for winter driving.
P = selects a shift pattern which could be compared to a standard tranny.
N = up-shifts the tranny into the next gear sooner. BUT this can cause you to be unnecessary in a too higher gear ratio, which uses more gas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by duke@Oct 31 2004, 10:58 AM
>>Also, would anyone know why the car moves (on a flat surface) forward when I shift to drive and backwards when I shift to reverse even before i step on the gas? <<
this is normal for any auto tranny, that is why you have to apply brakes when stationary and in gear.

the P/N switch is a shift pattern selection interfase. keep it in P, and select N only if there are slippery road condition. here in the cold north, we use the N position for winter driving.
N = up-shifts the tranny into the next gear sooner. BUT this can cause you to be unnecessary in a too higher gear ratio, which uses more gas.
[snapback]2205[/snapback]​

Thank you very much for the concise and informative response sir.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by duke@Oct 31 2004, 10:58 AM

[snapback]2205[/snapback]​

Hi, does that mean that, when i put the switch in N, I would be able to accelerate faster (since the shifts would be quicker)?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts