Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 8k miles, my 2011 Black Limited has a problem you typically see on high mileage cars. When at idle, the headlights vary in brightness, give it a little gas and they brighten up and are constant.

Might be an alternator issue but before I bring it in just curious if others experience it?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I know you want someone to say "yeah I'm having this same problem" but I am not at this time having any issues of this nature. Sorry you're having problems. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
158 Posts
QUOTE (mbm @ Aug 27 2010, 11:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352301
With 8k miles, my 2011 Black Limited has a problem you typically see on high mileage cars. When at idle, the headlights vary in brightness, give it a little gas and they brighten up and are constant.

Might be an alternator issue but before I bring it in just curious if others experience it?
It seems a normal alternator operation to me. At higher engine rpm, a higher alternator output, thus a brighter headlight. The first thing comes to mind is that your battery is not at capacity. With a fully charged battery, the headlight brightness fluctuations will be less noticeable or negligible. I'd check to see if the battery fluid levels are correct, and the battery is sufficiently holding charges.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Connect a voltmeter at the battery and check voltage at idle and at elevated rpm. A good alternator should give around 14 volts even at idle. Being under warranty take it to the dealer and have them check out the charging system. I installed a rear view camera on mine and had only 11.5 volts at the backup lights with the engine off. Concerned that the battery or charging system is not working OK, I took it to the dealer and they checked the charging and found all OK. They have a tester that tests more than only the voltage and can give you a complete picture.

·
Registered
424 Posts
sounds like faulty alternatory....I'm noticing rough idle at stopped position that I never had before.

I don't know if this is due to GDI engine but feels odd for a car with 4000 miles.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ..... wrong answers... see that little noid on each battery terminal....

That is an input to the PCM... PCM controls charging for better fuel economy and other dumb reasons... been told that the only time it charges is during cruise/decell, or when battery needs it. Goofy stuff they doing to get more power and mileage economy.

·
Registered
564 Posts
QUOTE (mbm @ Aug 27 2010, 12:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352301

This sounds normal to me. Every new vehicle I have owned over the past 20 years has exhibited this behavior to some degree. The greater the load on the electrical system, the greater the chance for this to happen. By the time you have the headlights on, the radio on, the vent fan and/or a/c on, there will be a large draw on the system. Add in a defroster or two, an occupied power port, a usb port, and then lower/raise a window or two and the headlights will dim at idle.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's typical of new 4 bangers. The Accord (4-cyl) is the same way. Annoying but normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts