Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks, need a little help. My SFS 2.0T is having a drivability/power issue and would like a few 2.0T owners to check out something.

Some of the symptoms. Right now I am having an intermittent issue with inconsistent shifting and what feels to be reduced power output. When my SFS is cold, the first few shifts are a little herky-jerky and it feels like the engine is running lean and surging a little. On one occasion while going downhill, I noticed the tach bouncing back and forth between 500 rpm to 2500 rpm while it was locked into one gear. It should have shown around 1500 rpm. And while in park or neutral, he engine will not rev over 3800-4000 rpm, but will rev over that when in gear. But it does not reach that speed as fast as it did when new. Just doesn't have that kick in the pants feel right now. And the kicker--no check engine lights or warnings of any type.

So could a few of you 2.0T owners check if your engine will rev over 4000 rpm while in park/neutral? And post your results back here please. I am taking it in to see the service manager on Wednesday and would like to be able to show him I am not crazy! Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've never tried to rev my SFS 2.0T up that high but I'll try when I get home (I'm at work). I know when my SFS is cold it runs lean & the shifting is quick. Once it warms up the shifting is a lot smoother. my tach doesn't bounce up and down like your indicating. It does idle around 1500 on first start up due to being cold but idle back down after 45 seconds to around 600-700. have a couple of questions for you.

Do you do your own oil changes?
What oil filter?
What type of oil? synthetic or none synthetic?
What type of gas are you using

More info we have the better we can answer questions :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Funny enough, but I also thought my 2.0 had more kick during the first 5-6000 km... Just thought I had gotten use to it!

Also, during colder weather it does shift quick and jerky, but as the tranny fluids are still cold, this will happen... Did it on my grand Cherokee too.

Don't know about the revving, but I'll check it out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never tried to rev my SFS 2.0T up that high but I'll try when I get home (I'm at work). I know when my SFS is cold it runs lean & the shifting is quick. Once it warms up the shifting is a lot smoother. my tach doesn't bounce up and down like your indicating. It does idle around 1500 on first start up due to being cold but idle back down after 45 seconds to around 600-700. have a couple of questions for you.

Do you do your own oil changes?
What oil filter?
What type of oil? synthetic or none synthetic?
What type of gas are you using

More info we have the better we can answer questions :)
All oil changes so far have been done by the dealer's service dept using Hyundai filters. As far as the gas is concerned, I get my gas at a local station since day one and use the recommended 87 octane. Haven't had any problems with their gas in over 20 years.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
261 Posts
Rpm limited to 4000rpm in neutral is normal, its a protection and many manufacturer have it

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rpm limited to 4000rpm in neutral is normal, its a protection and many manufacturer have it
I've owned many cars in my 40+ years of driving and have never had a car that was rev-limited when in park/neutral. And this is not my first Hyundai either. When I first got my SFS, I know for a fact it revved over 4K rpm in neutral. And considering that this engine is red-lined up over 6500 rpm, a 4k rpm limit is park makes no sense. However, a 4K rpm limit in park makes sense if there is some type of fault/malfunction/computer issue. But there are no lights or check engine lights.

Has anyone else had a chance to check theirs yet? I go to see the service manager on Wednesday and would like to know I am not crazy. Thanks.

·
2,258 Posts
while in park or neutral, he engine will not rev over 3800-4000 rpm, but will rev over that when in gear.
rev limiter. when there is no "load" on the engine, high RPM will blow your piston rods through the block.

i cant say much about the other symptoms as they are hard to predict through a forum. plus i dont have a 2.0T. hopefully other members can chime in.

i'd just visit a dealer and go for a test drive with their mechanic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Okay folks, need a little help. My SFS 2.0T is having a drivability/power issue and would like a few 2.0T owners to check out something.

Some of the symptoms. Right now I am having an intermittent issue with inconsistent shifting and what feels to be reduced power output. When my SFS is cold, the first few shifts are a little herky-jerky and it feels like the engine is running lean and surging a little. On one occasion while going downhill, I noticed the tach bouncing back and forth between 500 rpm to 2500 rpm while it was locked into one gear. It should have shown around 1500 rpm. And while in park or neutral, he engine will not rev over 3800-4000 rpm, but will rev over that when in gear. But it does not reach that speed as fast as it did when new. Just doesn't have that kick in the pants feel right now. And the kicker--no check engine lights or warnings of any type.

So could a few of you 2.0T owners check if your engine will rev over 4000 rpm while in park/neutral? And post your results back here please. I am taking it in to see the service manager on Wednesday and would like to be able to show him I am not crazy! Thanks in advance. :)
Ok others have told you abot the neutral rev limit, normal for most cars/trucks now.
Cold cars trucks have different shifting patterns in there program for warm up this could be some of your feeling, my car does surge just a little at part accel, as for the tach going up and down I have had my SF do this when I am using cruse and heading down a hill if the truck can not hold it at the speed with high gear it will drop down a gear till it can do a better job then will shift back up when speed is under control.
Hope that might help a bit

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its not a real issue with me, but my 2.0t is not a street rod by any measure..:)
Its rated at 260hp, but my wife's 06 sonata v6 has a lot more off the line juice. Still I am very pleased with my SFS. Didn't buy it to drag race.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Every car I have owned in the last 12 yrs are unable to rev passed 4k while in Park or Neutral. My cars that were like 89 and 92 even 96 you could Rev to redline anyway. I would check if you have a vacum leak but still weird to CEL. The dealer will however be able to see soft alerts as they called them in my Honda. I once had a bad plug and it showed as a soft alert but no CEL

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.0T AWD with 18,000 miles on it. I drive 150 miles per day commuting to work, all interstate highway. I bought the car last November, I live in N.E. Pa., cold winters, the car sits outside all of the time. In the mornings the first 4 - 5 miles with out the ECO on the car shifts a little "jerky". once it warms up the shifting smooths just fine. With the ECO on the shifting is "jerky" all of the time on mine. I wonder if the ECO has some type of electronic rev limit that is not in synch with the shift points?

·
Registered
263 Posts

This sounds a lot like an ECU issue. Mechanical sensors and regulators on an engine won't make the engine idle and behave the way you describe so the first thing I'd do if I were you is go to the dealership and see if there is a new ECU flash recall. it may also fix your transmission issues..... Don't forget this this is a computer on wheels. The ECU controls EVERYTHING, even how the steering works so get this checked out first, then go from there. Sometimes it helps just to re-flash the ECU with the current firmware.

If you don't have time to go to the dealership, try this to see if it helps:

- Disconnect the battery
- Try to start the car (yes with the battery disconnected)
- Wait 10 mins
- Reconnect battery
- Put it in the ON (all systems online but engine not running) position to allow the Throttle body to reset. This usually takes a less than a minute.
- Turn car off, take key out if it's not button start.

This is a generic way to reset the ECU and usually works on all cars that have one. If this doesn't work then go to dealership and get ECU firmware updated if possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own a 2.0T AWD with less than 700 KM on the ODO. I can feel that the engine really struggles to shift to the second and third gears. I hear a growling sound from the engine with the RPM shooting to 3500 to 4000 RPM. Not sure if this will be the case for all the turbos. Other owners can confirm. From 3rd gear onwards, the engine performs real good even on sudden accelerations. I am planning to test drive another turbo tomorrow at the dealer to see if this is really an issue.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Again, we should assume the most basic problem and easiest fix for now and that is SOFTWARE!!!! (if it's not he ECU firmware then move onto more expensive troubleshooting and repairs). Go to the dealership and get them to reflash it. See my above post

·
Registered
145 Posts

Sounds very similar to the electronic waste gate issue that plagued the early optima turbos and sonatas. voltage must be between 3.85-4.45v. Doesn't always throw a code either. I'd say there is a trip to the dealer in your future.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts