Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Certainly a ton of information on the web on this subject, this is just one of them.

Alloy wheels on the Elantra are aluminum with a clear coat covering, that would have to be removed, the aluminum etched with chemicals for adherence. Powder coating is an electrostatic operation to cause the powder to stick to the metal, then baked at high temperatures.

If you don't have the proper equipment, ha, I sure don't, would have to have it professionally done.

Customizing a vehicle always has the question of its value, those Discovery channel guys always manage to find a customer with plenty of bucks, ha, never had that luck. Trade it in at dealer, not only take a beating on its cost, but also a beating on its trade in value.

Unless you can find a buyer that has the same taste as yours and willing to pay the price.

Really shake my head with major engine modifications, try and find an insurance company that will cover it. If you do not report this, will quickly learn its not covered.

Ha, wonder about if the buyers on this show ever watch them making the modifier $100K richer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Since we are talking about an Elantra, powder coating is a good way to customize your car. Is a cherry Elantra really worth any more than one with some customization? I like it because getting aftermarket wheels is a challenge to get the right offset and then you may need another set of lug nuts. You know the powder coated wheels will fit correctly.

I bought a second set of rims for my snow tires. They are supposed to be reconditioned and powder coated. I really can't tell. I only found one spot on one of the wheels that looks like might have been a ding that was painted over. So I think you would be pleased with the results if you find a good shop.

I know someone that used his wife's old electric oven to powder coat his car parts. I'm not sure if a wheel would fit though.

There are insurance companies that will negotiate a value and are now covering daily drivers. The reality is our poor Elantras are throwaways. That is why I didn't pay a lot for a car that seems to offer great value. Just buying snow tires and nice rims has put me under water. My wife had my car yesterday and we had snow all day. She had absolutely no problem and had the same comment I've made which is the car seems so heavy in snow. So money well spent, but never recovered?

The only issue I see is you have to take the wheels off the car, have the tires removed, have them powder coated, and then have the tires remounted and balanced. You may need a new nut for the TPS. So that is some time with the car on jack stands unless you have another set of rims/tires.

You just need to find a good shop. I used AutoRimShop for my wheels. They claim to have a network of shops so I wonder if they could give you a lead. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would personally just buy another set of wheels. By the time you get the wheels done right and tires put back on you are already looking close to paying for a cheaper set of aftermarket. Plus if you do ever sell your car you can sell it with both sets or put factory wheels back on and keep your wheels. It's not hard to find wheels with close to oem specs. Most Hyundai vehicles use between a 5 to 7 inch wide wheel on their cars with normally a +45mm to +55mm offset. All you have to do is Google the oem wheel specs of your car (year, make, model) and you'll have the basic info to go off.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Had problems keeping hub caps on my motorhome, rotten Wisconsin roads that haven't been repaired in 50 years, 65 psi tire pressures, hit a bump in the road and they would fly off. Pain anyway, had to pop them off to check tire pressures, on the front the tire valve is on the inside, took a chuck attached to copper tubing and bent it so it would fit.

Rims looked terrible, all rusty, used a wire brush on a drill, steel wool, and sand paper to get them smooth, final finish with paint thinner. Didn't bother to remove the wheels, stuffed newspapers in those four holes to keep paint off the rotors and found a matching color spray can at a building supply store. Wasn't concerned with the rear wheels with drums, little paint wouldn't hurt them. Used masking tape around the tires.

Better to put 3-4 light coats with drying in between, have to keep that spray can moving or will get runs.

You can do this with your alloys, cleaned them, rough up the clear coat with 220 grid sand paper, and mask off the tires and the valve. You can do a better job with the tire removed and lying flat to avoid runs, any color you like.

If you don't like it, get paint remover with steel wool, then spray on clear coat after sanding with wet 600 grit sand paper.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've had many sets of aluminum wheels off my motorcycles powdercoated with amazing results. Figure you'll probably spend about $200 for a set

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,856 Posts
I have a set of 17" gray Santa Fe Sport wheels for sale if anyone is interested.

17x7" +47 Offset

Yes I am having powder coating done as well very soon. $70 per wheel for a set of 18" wheels. I found $75 per wheel is typical unless you have shops around that run basic color specials for a set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts