Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pothole stories?
It seems to me that the government are trying to force everyone to switch to off road vehicles.
What are all these gas guzzlers doing for air quality?
The roads in Hampshire where I live are becoming dangerous and in places passable only in a 4x4 at low speed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've hit a few that shook my teeth, but luckily I've never suffered damage. The people that drive BMWs with big rims and ultra low profiles must have nightmares. I have reported potholes on a website for the purpose and they've been fixed so I suppose the rate of repair varies considerably between local authorities. My view now is the OEM XL rated tyres or equivalent must be better at resisting damage than 82T standard load.

Reactions: Longshot

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take the point about the XL tyres perhaps being more robust but I'm thinking the softer 82T might be kinder on the suspension and my spine.
Ive also got the steel wheels which I think give a softer ride also cheaper to replace if the worst does happen.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The OEM tyres have been selected by the manufacturer for many reasons and certainly wouldn't cause the suspension any issues. The XL rating might add 1db noise, but I'm not convinced you'll notice much difference by going for 82T. I notice a difference in the ride between a full tank of petrol and a quarter tank also a rise in the temperature with a bit of sunshine softens the rubber and improves the ride. I've been reading all sorts of reviews about tyres and it's confusing because a lot of people enthuse about their new tyres as opposed to what the car came with. They overlook the fact that they are comparing the worn out rubber of the old tyres they've grown accustomed to with another 5/6 mm of new squishy tread on the ones they've just bought. It's a shame we don't get the chance to try a few out, but instead we have to pick them for £200 plus and have to put up with them if they aren't what we hoped they were going to be. I'm still intending to get a couple of the original Contis put on towards the end of the year now. I would have had them on the other week, but the tyre company I picked tried to give me the run around for more money rather than sticking the new tyres where I wanted them put. I've had it before when I bought some from blackcircles and the company fitting them tried hard to get me to agree to getting the other two tyres rebalanced and a tracking check done. I hate going into these places as soon as they see you they treat you like an idiot. Back to potholes I went down a dual carriageway the other day that isn't that old and I was weaving all over the place trying to avoid the surface damage. It was really bad and looking over at the other carriageway it was still all good from new so maybe some corners are being cut to maximise the profits. I'm wary in the rain with puddles that's when you can get caught out when you don't know how deep they are.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Does anyone have any pothole stories?
It seems to me that the government are trying to force everyone to switch to off road vehicles.
What are all these gas guzzlers doing for air quality?
The roads in Hampshire where I live are becoming dangerous and in places passable only in a 4x4 at low speed.

Amherst MA USA ~7 years ago. Had an '89 Mazda 626 I used for my job as a Manufacturer's rep. Truck crowded me towards the inner edge of my lane and <WHAM!> nice big pot'ole. The next day I noticed it was bouncing and riding rougher so I looked and it blew my 3 year old KYB strut out at the top. The next day the muffler fell off after hitting another pot'ole in the same town. That place was pothole city. This year it's my home town, but I don't know if you can call them potholes, exactly. Whole strips of the top coating of pavment are missing for up to 25-30 feet. :eek:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a guy on Twitter that I follow called Mr Pothole @mrpotholeuk.

·
Registered
341 Posts
A few council CEO's underneath would be a bonus and the gold plated pensions put towards the rest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts