Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pointing towards the engine itself being defective (and not an issue with debris from the manufacturing process)

Koreaittimes June 3, 2019:

According to legal circles on June 2, the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office, which has been investigating the alleged cover-up of Hyundai Motor's engine defect, has secured and analyzed a number of Hyundai Motor's internal documents through search and seizure.

One of the documents was written in August 2015, just before Hyundai decided to recall 470,000 units of the Sonata with a Theta 2 engine in the U.S.

In the document, Hyundai Motor analyzed the cause of engine defects as "weakness in bearing structure robustness" and "poor quality control of oil lines."

출처 : Korea IT Times(http://www.koreaittimes.com)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well it appears that we're finally actually getting some honest information related to the Theta fiasco. Now all that's needed is someone who will explain exactly what "weakness in bearing structure robustness" means.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In analytical terminology - robustness is the ability to perform consistently under variable conditions. In that context, I would assume it to mean that the bearing structure performs poorly under variable conditions

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
From 2016, if you can translate:

You'll see the problem, not debris

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
From 2016, if you can translate:

You'll see the problem, not debris
Chrome will do a pretty good job on the translation.
(I believe "borrowers" refers to customers/owners)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yeah, I did translate the entire article, but some areas were missing/clear, but got the idea that the reason for engine problems was far removed from the engine debris that Hyundai/Kia stated.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah, I did translate the entire article, but some areas were missing/clear, but got the idea that the reason for engine problems was far removed from the engine debris that Hyundai/Kia stated.
From what I've researched, it appears to be the oil pump/balance shaft assembly. It binds up and affects oil flow at some point. They redesigned this entire assembly and that appears to have done the trick. There is also some evidence that combined with that assembly, the block was not as rigid as it should have been. There has been some new castings as well apparently to address it. The "debris" issue may have been real at one point but not the real root of the ton of issues seen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts