Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I’ve been in the market for a PHEV/EV since the summer, almost purchased a Kona EV but need more space for my growing kids. I was all set to buy a Chevy Bolt EUV then the stop sale hit and the vehicles been sitting on lot since September and just got word it won’t be until summer when they replace the battery and will be able to sell.

Already checked out Tesla, nice but not what I need. Test drove an escape hybrid also but it didn’t really appeal to me.
My Hyundai dealer has a 2022 Santa Fe luxury PHEV demo I’m going to take for a test drive and feel it might suit the best. They are telling me it will be a 2-3 month wait to order one.
Also considering a 2022 Kia Niro PHEV that my local Kia dealer has in stock but I feel like once I test drove both, I’ll like the more room in the Santa Fe.
I’m currently driving a 2019 Acura RDX and I drive a lot in town for work (40-80kms/day) and it’s costing me over $100/week in gas so I’ve been eager to start saving money.
Looks like this section of the forum is just getting started and already has some informational threads.

how is everyone’s gas mileage so far?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,289 Posts
Hey,
I’ve been in the market for a PHEV/EV since the summer, almost purchased a Kona EV but need more space for my growing kids. I was all set to buy a Chevy Bolt EUV then the stop sale hit and the vehicles been sitting on lot since September and just got word it won’t be until summer when they replace the battery and will be able to sell.

Already checked out Tesla, nice but not what I need. Test drove an escape hybrid also but it didn’t really appeal to me.
My Hyundai dealer has a 2022 Santa Fe luxury PHEV demo I’m going to take for a test drive and feel it might suit the best. They are telling me it will be a 2-3 month wait to order one.
Also considering a 2022 Kia Niro PHEV that my local Kia dealer has in stock but I feel like once I test drove both, I’ll like the more room in the Santa Fe.
I’m currently driving a 2019 Acura RDX and I drive a lot in town for work (40-80kms/day) and it’s costing me over $100/week in gas so I’ve been eager to start saving money.
Looks like this section of the forum is just getting started and already has some informational threads.

My personal opinion is you should take a serious look at a 2022 Tucson Hybrid.

According to Edmunds, the cargo area is over 2 cubic feet larger than the Santa Fe. I do not like that push button shift, however. Not sure if that is in all models.

I don’t have the hybrid, but having driven one I can flatly state you will be pleased with the acceleration and fuel economy. If I drove a whole lot, I would have gotten one but my “regular” Tucson is really nice. I’m coming off the 2020 Santa Fe so know it well. If you shop around you can get a decent deal. Consider flying to a location if necessary and drive it back. I got my Tucson for the MSRP,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My personal opinion is you should take a serious look at a 2022 Tucson Hybrid.

According to Edmunds, the cargo area is over 2 cubic feet larger than the Santa Fe. I do not like that push button shift, however. Not sure if that is in all models.

I don’t have the hybrid, but having driven one I can flatly state you will be pleased with the acceleration and fuel economy. If I drove a whole lot, I would have gotten one but my “regular” Tucson is really nice. I’m coming off the 2020 Santa Fe so know it well. If you shop around you can get a decent deal. Consider flying to a location if necessary and drive it back. I got my Tucson for the MSRP,
I almost wanted to look at a Tuscon but the exterior styling is a little too busy for my taste.The interior looks really nice though!

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,289 Posts
I almost wanted to look at a Tuscon but the exterior styling is a little too busy for my taste.The interior looks really nice though!
I thought the same thing. But it will “grow” on you. I have become rather enamored with it myself with the upgraded wheels, “regular” sunroof and other niceties. I’ve owned two Genesises, three Azeras among many other cars. This may be the nicest car I have ever bought. But in your case I would shoot for the hybrid. I can’t point to any deficiency thus far. I got the SEL with the convenience and premium packages. About $33,340 as I recall. There is a hybrid at the local dealer but without the premium package. That has htrac as do all hybrids. Rated at 38 mpg. About $31,500 or thereabouts. But I didn’t want the pano roof. It also has cloth interior. But you could go to an upholstery shop and remedy that for less than $2,000 if it bothers you. Mine also has heated and ventilated seats but not the heated steering wheel. Anyway, have fun shopping.

One more thing. I wouldn’t wait for one. That will drive you nuts. Ordered a pickup Ford one time. Took forever and had a whole passel of problems. If you find it somewhere you could have it flat bedded in at $1 per mile or you might get a dealer to drive it to your home and pick up your old one. A dealer in Dallas offered to do that for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We took the santa fe over the tucson. It just felt like a higher end SUV over the Tuscon. Our first fill up was 36l and got us 1000km. It would have been better but my wife keeps mashing the go pedal and kicking it out of ev mode. Also colder weather starts the engine alot to warm up the interior so you take a hit there too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the same thing. But it will “grow” on you. I have become rather enamored with it myself with the upgraded wheels, “regular” sunroof and other niceties. I’ve owned two Genesises, three Azeras among many other cars. This may be the nicest car I have ever bought. But in your case I would shoot for the hybrid. I can’t point to any deficiency thus far. I got the SEL with the convenience and premium packages. About $33,340 as I recall. There is a hybrid at the local dealer but without the premium package. That has htrac as do all hybrids. Rated at 38 mpg. About $31,500 or thereabouts. But I didn’t want the pano roof. It also has cloth interior. But you could go to an upholstery shop and remedy that for less than $2,000 if it bothers you. Mine also has heated and ventilated seats but not the heated steering wheel. Anyway, have fun shopping.

One more thing. I wouldn’t wait for one. That will drive you nuts. Ordered a pickup Ford one time. Took forever and had a whole passel of problems. If you find it somewhere you could have it flat bedded in at $1 per mile or you might get a dealer to drive it to your home and pick up your old one. A dealer in Dallas offered to do that for me.
Sounds like your one happy customer! Glad to hear! I’m up on the east coast of Canada and have been waiting to get into something fuel efficient since the summer so I’m beyond over waiting haha

my dealer told me it would be 4-6 month wait to order a 2022 Tuscon PHEV, there are no Tuscon hybrids available either and I have to purchase the vehicle in my province because of the provincial’ federal rebates. I messaged all the Hyundai dealers around me and one of them told me that production of them starts the end of next month and they will have their sales rep reach out to me. But I feel with all the issues- delays 3 months expected delivery time will be double that.

I want to go PHEV for maximum fuel savings and with the rebates the PHEV is only $1000k more than a Hybrid.

only thing that makes me want to go with the Kia Niro PHEV is because they have one sitting at the lot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like your one happy customer! Glad to hear! I’m up on the east coast of Canada and have been waiting to get into something fuel efficient since the summer so I’m beyond over waiting haha

my dealer told me it would be 4-6 month wait to order a 2022 Tuscon PHEV, there are no Tuscon hybrids available either and I have to purchase the vehicle in my province because of the provincial’ federal rebates. I messaged all the Hyundai dealers around me and one of them told me that production of them starts the end of next month and they will have their sales rep reach out to me. But I feel with all the issues- delays 3 months expected delivery time will be double that.

I want to go PHEV for maximum fuel savings and with the rebates the PHEV is only $1000k more than a Hybrid.

only thing that makes me want to go with the Kia Niro PHEV is because they have one sitting at the lot.
Where on the east coast? I'm in Halifax.

Also my Santa fe phev ended up costing less than the hybrid after rebates. I feel your pain on trying to find one. Steele in Halifax has one but they are a bit of an arse hole to deal with...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where on the east coast? I'm in Halifax.

Also my Santa fe phev ended up costing less than the hybrid after rebates. I feel your pain on trying to find one. Steele in Halifax has one but they are a bit of an arse hole to deal with...
Haha small world, I’m just over in Dartmouth. Oregans has a demo but Steele said they didn’t have one and would be the 4-6 month wait and Oregans is telling me 2.5-3 months so who knows. Lol I’ve never dealt with Steele Hyundai, my dad used to be the shuttle driver so I’m kinda partial to them, but honestly whichever dealer can confirm a shorter wait I’m down for.

I’m currently getting 12L/100kms in my RDX (2.0L T)but I do a lot of driving in town so just eager to get into a PHEV, wasted 5 months only to be let down by the Chevy bolt EUV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Haha small world, I’m just over in Dartmouth. Oregans has a demo but Steele said they didn’t have one and would be the 4-6 month wait and Oregans is telling me 2.5-3 months so who knows. Lol I’ve never dealt with Steele Hyundai, my dad used to be the shuttle driver so I’m kinda partial to them, but honestly whichever dealer can confirm a shorter wait I’m down for.

I’m currently getting 12L/100kms in my RDX (2.0L T)but I do a lot of driving in town so just eager to get into a PHEV, wasted 5 months only to be let down by the Chevy bolt EUV.
Oreagans sold me the last one they had... It was suposed to be a demo but I made them sell it to me anyway. Talk to Amanda at oreagans hyundai and see what she can do for you. I can get you her number if you want it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oreagans sold me the last one they had... It was suposed to be a demo but I made them sell it to me anyway. Talk to Amanda at oreagans hyundai and see what she can do for you. I can get you her number if you want it.
Lol I was dealing with Kevin Clarke and he told me the same thing, they can’t sell the demo. Is Amanda a sales manager? I will chat with them tomorrow and see if they are willing to sell the demo. Did you get much of a discount with yours due to it being a demo?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lol I was dealing with Kevin Clarke and he told me the same thing, they can’t sell the demo. Is Amanda a sales manager? I will chat with them tomorrow and see if they are willing to sell the demo. Did you get much of a discount with yours due to it being a demo?
Mine was brand new. No km on it. Was suposed to be a demo but I made them sell it to me anyway. Told them I'd have one either way so either sell it and make the money or I'll walk. They caved and sold it to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine was brand new. No km on it. Was suposed to be a demo but I made them sell it to me anyway. Told them I'd have one either way so either sell it and make the money or I'll walk. They caved and sold it to me.
That’s how to get things done! Haha I actually just realized I know a salesman there and didn’t realize he worked there. Gonna reach out tomorrow and see if I can get the same result :)

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,289 Posts

So you are locked into buying where you live? That’s a bummer. If that Santa Fe is available it may be your best bet. A regular Santa Fe is not likely to get much more than about 22-23 mpg. On the 2020 I had I got about 20 mpg but mostly short trips. I’m retired and do not travel like I used to when younger. The Santa Fe is quite pleasant to drive and ride in. You would like it fine.The mid level SEL trim is the best value with the convenience package. I liked the cloth interior just fine. It can always be converted to leather anyway.

I’m VERY dubious about EV’s. They will have to show me they can be depended on without catching fire and burning your house down. Hybrids are proven technology. As I say I am very dubious about EVs. But the fuel of the future could be hydrogen. But that is probably something that is a few years away. I don’t get the logic of EVs when they get their power from fossil fuel plants.

You probably were fortunate that Bolt didn’t materialize. When it is necessary for GM to tell owners to park st least 50 feet from one’s home that tells me they have a big problem. Wouldn’t have one.

Something may be of interest. The production in Alabama mute be picking up. The dealers are starting to get more inventory and there is some price softening. Additionally, Hyundai is shipping cars from Korea via the Panama Canal. They are showing up about a month after assembly. I think Hyundai may have planned this production slow-down better than other makes. I see new Fords showing up but there may be “issues“ with partially assembled vehicles. Many other car dealers seem to have mostly used cars in their lots it seems. The used car market is insane. People are paying more for used cars than new ones in many cases…Nobody has seen anything like this before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you are locked into buying where you live? That’s a bummer. If that Santa Fe is available it may be your best bet. A regular Santa Fe is not likely to get much more than about 22-23 mpg. On the 2020 I had I got about 20 mpg but mostly short trips. I’m retired and do not travel like I used to when younger. The Santa Fe is quite pleasant to drive and ride in. You would like it fine.The mid level SEL trim is the best value with the convenience package. I liked the cloth interior just fine. It can always be converted to leather anyway.

I’m VERY dubious about EV’s. They will have to show me they can be depended on without catching fire and burning your house down. Hybrids are proven technology. As I say I am very dubious about EVs. But the fuel of the future could be hydrogen. But that is probably something that is a few years away. I don’t get the logic of EVs when they get their power from fossil fuel plants.

You probably were fortunate that Bolt didn’t materialize. When it is necessary for GM to tell owners to park st least 50 feet from one’s home that tells me they have a big problem. Wouldn’t have one.
Yeah each provinces rebate amount is different so if I purchase from another province I miss out on the $2500 rebate. Yeah I figured the PHEV would be the best of both worlds and in a few years the car market will have settled and there will be more Ev’s available. Good to hear about positive experiences. Even if Acura offered a hybrid I wouldn’t chance it, after purchasing my rdx new 2 years ago I had a ton of quality issues and countless visits at the dealer they had to bring an engineer in to sort it all out.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,289 Posts
Yeah each provinces rebate amount is different so if I purchase from another province I miss out on the $2500 rebate. Yeah I figured the PHEV would be the best of both worlds and in a few years the car market will have settled and there will be more Ev’s available. Good to hear about positive experiences. Even if Acura offered a hybrid I wouldn’t chance it, after purchasing my rdx new 2 years ago I had a ton of quality issues and countless visits at the dealer they had to bring an engineer in to sort it all out.
I believe the RDX has had some problems from what I read. I’d probably avoid it. The Santa Fe is a solid vehicle. You shouldn’t have any issues with it at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny you mention your RDX issues. I just got out of a 2019 CRV that was riddled with mostly minor and one major issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funny you mention your RDX issues. I just got out of a 2019 CRV that was riddled with mostly minor and one major issue.
Yeah before the RDX I had a 2018 accord and it needed the entire dash replaced because of the HUD unit was rubbing against the rest of the dash when it warmed up-

in the first 2 years of owning the rdx I had to get;

-entire brakes replaced due to a common squealing issue.
-sunroof seal a few times needed to be replaced and then they ended up replacing entire frame due to the popping and crunchy noises from it.
-driver side seat back had to be replaced due to the padding rubbing on frame of seat.

Couple of other little things but to address these issues I needed to visit a bunch of times. Dealer was good and I haven’t had to pay for any regular service and Honda Canada gave me a credit for the inconvenience.

engine was great lol, seems like Honda’s aren’t as reliable as they used to be.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah before the RDX I had a 2018 accord and it needed the entire dash replaced because of the HUD unit was rubbing against the rest of the dash when it warmed up-

in the first 2 years of owning the rdx I had to get;

-entire brakes replaced due to a common squealing issue.
-sunroof seal a few times needed to be replaced and then they ended up replacing entire frame due to the popping and crunchy noises from it.
-driver side seat back had to be replaced due to the padding rubbing on frame of seat.

Couple of other little things but to address these issues I needed to visit a bunch of times. Dealer was good and I haven’t had to pay for any regular service and Honda Canada gave me a credit for the inconvenience.

engine was great lol, seems like Honda’s aren’t as reliable as they used to be.
They don't make anything like they used to...I had an accord as well and it was nice but it wasn't great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,

I just recently got the Santa Fe SEL in California. I love it. I mainly got it because my house to work is less than 1 mile but still drive a bit for other things. In 2 weeks ive done around 200 miles and only used 25% of my gas tank. Its listed as 65 MPG but its slowly going up. Car says I have around 243 miles on gas remaining. I keep mine in EV mode, but when I was doing highway and switched to Hybrid, it seemed to be getting around 40 MPG. Depending on how the cruise is going, sometimes EV only mode will cruise at 80 mph.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts