Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
...Finaly, after 5 weeks of ownership, I took my 4 banger for a ride.... Drove an hour on the 294 toll road to Wisconsin, speed 75-80 (no Cruise Control, I hate it), and the trip tech (reset before my test) was showing 33.7 mpg.

I noted how well this car absorbs the bumps on the pavement... Used to own a Volvo 850 which was handling those bumps terribly. Even my wife's new Accord has a much stiffer ride.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Way to go, mamamia! That's some great mileage from your 4-banger. :grin:

I haven't had much chance to test my V-6 lately, due to some severe weather conditions and late trips to work (120 miles each way) that required me to 'make up time' on the road. Nothing too serious, officer, just going 8 over the limit instead of dead-on.

Anyway, in my mix of 70 hwy/30 city, if I don't push it too hard, I can get over 30 mpg with my V6. And that's in Indiana, where the weather is never too great.

I can't wait until it gets a bit warmer in the late spring/early summer, and the mpg should improve. :57:

:eek:fftopic: Mamamia, what size are the wheels on the Accord and Volvo 850 you were mentioning? I believe your GL has 16-inch wheels. If the others were larger rims, that can have a lot to do with ride harshness. I agree that the Sonata rides great, though! :clap:

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Mamamia, what size are the wheels on the Accord and Volvo 850 you were mentioning? I believe your GL has 16-inch wheels. If the others were larger rims, that can have a lot to do with ride harshness. I agree that the Sonata rides great, though!

Yes, mine has the 16. I don't remember the size on the Volvo, and I think the Accord has a 15 (or maybe 16?).

No, it's not the size of the wheel, I believe, it's the suspension. Volvos are known for having very stiff suspension, which makes the ride sometimes annoying, yet also extremely STABLE. Same -- though much less stiff -- is the Accord.

I'd say my Sonata rides very much the way my 3 (4 cyl.) Camrys (1993 - 1996 - 1999) used to ride...

And, btw, please, mine is a GLS, not a GL. :57:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
D'oh! I see right there to the left...

<---

Yours indeed is a GLS. Didn't mean to be so hasty, there, I was just caught up in our other thread about 4 bangers. :grin:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have almost 500 miles on my v6 gls and I am averaging 26-27 mpg mixed use.... this is only 1-2mpg less than my 06 4 banger GL.... NICE

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Scott

·
Registered
165 Posts
Originally posted by rebb@Feb 19 2006, 03:21 PM
I travel 80 miles one way to work each day on the interstate highway. My average in my V-6 equipped Sonata is 25 MPG with my cruising speed at 80 MPH.

REB
[snapback]30254[/snapback]​

I travel 78.6 miles one way to work. All highway. I've filled it twice so far and I measured 30 mpg and a 26.9 mpg. Not sure why such the difference except that I may not have filled it all the way the first time. With a 17 gal tank, I should be able to get around 510 miles to reach 30 mpg, but I'm seeming to get 400 miles in 14 gals (28.5 mpg) this tank. On my first oil change, I plan on changing to a better filter, and from reading other streams, I may try to turn off the ESC. Some people are saying this might work, others say no. I might as well try.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've kept gas spreadsheets tracking every tankful of every car I've had since 1994.

The latest numbers on the current fleet:
- 2004 Tiburon V6/6-speed: 26.955 MPG (10,042 miles, mostly bopping around town)
- 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L V6/5-speed auto: 20.042 MPG (as of Aug. 05, have some catching up to do inputting data.... 28,692 miles going back and forth to work as well as some looooong road trips)
- 2006 Sonata V6/5spd auto: 23.869 MPG (only 1,453 miles but that includes one 1000+ mile out of town trip)

On car no longer owned:
- 2002 Sonata 4 cyl/auto: 31.054 MPG (141,308 miles with many many many long road trips)

FYI had an '87 CRX Si from '94 to '02, drove it for about 130,000 miles and averaged over 38 MPG over that time. Had many tankfuls that were 42 MPG or better. Funner-n-**** car to drive too. Why don't they make them like that anymore?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think everyone forgot all gallons are not created equal. 20 miles per gallon in the USA is not the same as 20 miles per gallon in Europe. Use these conversions to straighten things out.

1 Imp gallon = 1.201 US gallon
1 US gallon = 0.833 Imp gallon
1 US gallon = 3.785 liters
1 Imp gallon = 4.546 liters
1 mile = 1.609 kms
1 km = 0.621 miles

Ex. Since the miles are constant. If someone in the US is getting 25 mpg, multiply by 1.201 to get 30.025 mpg in Imperial gallons. (this line has been corrected, thanks Stodge)

PS, If I stay below 3000 rpm I can get about 31 mpg (Imperial gallons) if I go above 3000 rpm it drops to 28 mpg pretty quick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just came back from an 800 mile round trip this weekend.......up to this point I had not been thrilled with the mileage in my GLS V6 (approx 21-21.5 in city/hiway 'commuter' driving and only about 24-24.5 mpg on highway trips.

On this trip, though, my odometer went up over the 7K miles, and it finally used about 1/2 quart of oil, which usually indicated on my other cars that the engine is finally breaking in. Lo and behold......a little less than 29 mpg going down and a little OVER 29 mpg coming back! :banana: I wasn't sparing the horsepower, either......75-80 mph all the way down, with some stop-an-go in rural towns to boot.

For a while I thought Hyundai was smoking their lunch when they came up with those MPG figures. Maybe's there's hope........get about 7-8K on the odo and a couple of nice break-in trips and hopefully yours will jump up too!

Hope that's the long-term case here, since gas just jumped up another 25 cents/gal this morning..........%$#&@!!.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I put Shell regular gas in a new Shell station close to home and did some highway driving for about 13 miles going through a construction area, speed enforced to 55 mph and very small downgrade on the road. I have used Shell regular on my Sonata '07 with the 2.4L I-4cyl in the past. Used to get 25 mpg.

I use the trip computer set on fuel economy as I drive. When I looked yesterday it was increasing slowly from 34.5 mpg and stabilized on 37.8 mpg!. I have 15,800 miles on the car (purchased in September 2006). I have the 17" alloy wheels with 32 psi on the tires. My car gross weight plate on the door frame says: 4,299 lbs.
To me that weight indicates a heavy car that will benefit from tires filled above the 30 psi recommended.

These fuel economy readings were uncharted territory on my Sonata. I am wondering if the chemical composition of that particular load of fuel is different from other Shell regular gas used in the past or the trucker replenishing gas for that station filled the regular station tank with 93 octane :banana:

Of course, my plan is to fill in that gas station and pump for the next few days!

Best regards.

·
Registered
104 Posts
One of my co-workers had a Tucson and he averaged 20MPG 50%HWY/50% City. His was a 2005 2.7 with 30K on it...

He traded it in and now gets 26.5 combined with a 2007 4WD CR-V with the exact same route and driving habits.

The fuel mileage on the 2.7 is seriously disappointing... :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wife's Tucson is averaging 19 mpg, 20-21 at the most. Around 80% city. What were those figures in the brochure again?

Kind of sad to see these numbers, my 270hp VW GTI is averaging 33 mpg, though my commute is like 90% freeway, the tucson numbers are really crappy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The wife's Tucson is averaging 19 mpg, 20-21 at the most. Around 80% city. What were those figures in the brochure again?

Kind of sad to see these numbers, my 270hp VW GTI is averaging 33 mpg, though my commute is like 90% freeway, the tucson numbers are really crappy.
I have to agree. Car is great except for the fuel consumption.
Even on the highway. Best I've gotten is 9ish.
Why do they advertise 6.4 when I bought the car?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 14,500 miles on my 2012 GLS and 24.51 is my overall average since purchase date. Highest was 29.10, lowest was 18.41.

Not bad at all. Hyundai sending my annual "gas reimbursement" card is a bonus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 14,500 miles on my 2012 GLS and 24.51 is my overall average since purchase date. Highest was 29.10, lowest was 18.41.

Not bad at all. Hyundai sending my annual "gas reimbursement" card is a bonus.
I Have A 2012 Tucson gls pzev With 7,600 miles on it & It Gets Between 21/23 mpg

90/10 City Driving, Very little Hway

Curious To See If Mpg Improves When The Winter Blend Gas Goes Away For The Spring Summer

Gas Card Is Good, I Am Going To Reload It Ounce A Yr & That Will Be A Nice Little Bonus 4 Sure

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 Tucon. V6 2700 ltd. 154K miles. brand new to us. fall conditions. 1 very light snow soon melted. 1 full tank. 210 miles. 15.3 gallons to fill tank. 13.5 MPG

I am NOT a happy camper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: Mileage with 2012 Tucson

Something I figured out about a year or so ago regarding why people are getting mileage below epa. One day I was using my GPS to get to my parents place about 30 miles from me. It would seem that the speedometer is not calibrated correctly. I would say that the speedometer is about 3 mph off. If my GPS said I was doing 65mph, my speedometer was almost in the middle between 60-65, this would probably account for peoples difference in mileage. I also find that active eco really doesn't do anything anymore. For awhile I thought I was getting about 1-2mpg better with it, but after using it quite a bit, my mileage is worse so I disabled it.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts