Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I love my 2.4 SE w Nav. And pretty impressed by a 200hp car it's rather quick.

Got a few mods

LED license plate lights
6k HIDs
Tinted windows
Red calipers

Got 9200 miles on it, bought in may born April 21

Things making want to trade in

All the rattles are driving me crazy. I have an appointment to get all that fixed today but before I head over to the service dept. I'll check out the Turbo and see the differences. I actually wanted the turbo since it was announced it was coming out but since I'm very impatient I had to buy the Sonata and call it a day. Kinda wished I waited lol.

Im looking for the same set up as my 2.4. SE w nav package. And perhaps a change of color. I'd take a pearl white Sonata. Love the silver but a bit of a blah color lol. A few thousand more than what I paid but hopefully I can walk out of the dealership with a turbo today. A bit on a budget but I'd prob make an acception if it's reasonable.

I'll keep you all updated if I purchased the turbo or ended up getting the 2.4 torn apart and fixing the rattles and fix that pop sound when putting car into drive.
:thumbsup:

·
1,914 Posts
I'm 23 and I learned a couple years, just because you want it doesn't mean you go for it. If you could financially do it, then I'd say go for it but you say you are on a budget. Don't rush into anything just because you want it. Get numbers for the turbo and take them home to see if they make sense.

Just alittle advice :beer:

edit: I do have a questions for you..where did you get the license plate bulbs? I have the rattles in my car that started at 500 miles and they are driving me crazy. I think one is coming from behind my seat and one from the rear deck. While I love the car, they are driving me crazy. I've been told a lot of customer are bringing the cars back and complaining about the rattles. It's not acceptable for this price, actually it's not acceptable in any cars nowadays.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Rattles seem hit and miss, so dont count on a new car NOT having them. My car rattled so bad in "colder" weather (around 25) that it prompted me to start a thread. This morning it was 10 and not one rattle. Not even the vent expansion rattle. So I am at a total loss.

Move your car back to stock. Your "mods" will not increase value, it will actually decrease your trade in value. Especially the calipers and HID's. Calipers might take a bit, but the HID should be a remove so you can put it into your Turbo.

Make sure to drive a COLD Turbo (not started on a colder day) and make sure there are no noises you dont like from the engine bay. I have not driven one but apparently there is a rattle/squeak that comes from the bay that indicates that maybe the waste-gate actuator rod might be rattling. However that is not a proven fact, just a guess based on what has been read.

At least let us know about the pop into drive sound. Sound like you might have a faulty engine mount. Is it a pop or more like a thunk? Gotta love diagnosing sounds over the internet? LOL!

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Dec 6 2010, 06:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377285
I'm 23 and I learned a couple years, just because you want it doesn't mean you go for it. If you could financially do it, then I'd say go for it but you say you are on a budget. Don't rush into anything just because you want it. Get numbers for the turbo and take them home to see if they make sense.

Just alittle advice :beer:

edit: I do have a questions for you..where did you get the license plate bulbs? I have the rattles in my car that started at 500 miles and they are driving me crazy. I think one is coming from behind my seat and one from the rear deck. While I love the car, they are driving me crazy. I've been told a lot of customer are bringing the cars back and complaining about the rattles. It's not acceptable for this price, actually it's not acceptable in any cars nowadays.
Licence plate bulbs go to www.V-leds.com
194_5_SMT_W_6K
2 HID 6K WHITE SMT 5 LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821

really look nice at night time

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
unfortunantey if a lot of people have rattle issues, the same issues will most likely be in the Turbo's too as they are practically the same car as far as panels and trim pieces goes.

I'm not sure if it's plastic or it might be build issues. ie, they are building these things as fast as they can so quality might not be where it should be. One small mis-aignment in two plastic panels can certainly rattle. I'm thinking if you want a perfect car it might be best to wait till September or so next year where demand won't be so high and the line workers can pay more attention on build quality of each car. For a car in the sub 30k loaded a few rattles is acceptable. If you want to see rattles go take a Dodge out for a drive. My brothers Corolla rattles like crazy too all the time. 3 different areas.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After 2 friends told me to wait till the 2012 model comes out I've decided to do just that. The only thing I'll be getting extra is the Turbo. So they convinced me that all the flaws and what not will be resolved and have some new tweaks so I should just wait and get something worth the extra money.

So for now I keep my 2.4 SE that I love and see what the future holds.

As for the rattles and what not got that all fixed and there's a write up on every piece that got looked at. So take a peak at that thread :thumbsup:

·
Registered
367 Posts
It is smart of you to hold off and wait for some mid-model upgrades. However, people that go out and buy a car and then 8 months later decide they want another car are my favorite. The first owner gets hit with the first year depreciation and I get a newer car with low miles at almost 40% off.

:)

·
Registered
945 Posts
We just bought a 2011 Limited 2.0T with Nav and are not having any rattles at all. I also understand that the 2012 will not be much different than the 2011, not warranting a wait for the 012. Also remember the 013, 014 ect. will have changes as well. Dont wait if you really want one. This is a solid car and the performance of the Turbo and the looks are awesome!

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Dec 7 2010, 04:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377701
We just bought a 2011 Limited 2.0T with Nav and are not having any rattles at all. I also understand that the 2012 will not be much different than the 2011, not warranting a wait for the 012. Also remember the 013, 014 ect. will have changes as well. Dont wait if you really want one. This is a solid car and the performance of the Turbo and the looks are awesome!
My car didn't rattle for the first 1500 miles but I've started to hear random rattles here and there.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would hope the pano roof is added in 2012, otherwise seems like the Optima has a better set of options.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My rattles went away when I took the owners manual out of the glove box.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You may want to hold off until the Turbo leftward lean at highway speeds is fixed. Apparently, the car won't drive straight unless you constantly correct when you are going more than 50 mph. Dozens and dozens of complains on it. Check the turbo forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts