Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Hyundai Elantra, 2.0 lt. We replaced a bad water pump, and timing belt while we were there. I followed directions found on multiple websites. We spun the crank shaft to the top dead center mark on the crank sprocket / engine block, and the cam sprocket / assignment mark. Then removed tensioner, and belt. Installed new belt and ensured alignment marks had not moved. Applied pressure to tensioner and tightened. Reassembled everything else. Car started with no problems, drive for about twenty minutes started making clicking sound from under hood, we turned around to come back home and the car still making clicking sounds gradually started to loose power and speed until the engine stalled and would not restart. Trying to find out what could have happened.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the timing belt tensioner is not the issue - clue is the loss of power steering. if the tensioner were gone, the belt would be trashed by now. car would not run worth a crap.

by your description, you have done the job properly. good work! its not a difficult job, but its great to see when someone checks everything they can along the way :) my job involves checking everything and never making mistakes, so i can appreciate this !

anyhow i would suspect that the issue is unrelated. i'd like to know two things:

- where exactly is the noise coming from? get a mechanics stethoscope if needed! great cheap tool to have anyways.

- are you losing power to the power steering system or the entire vehicle?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts