Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Genesis 3.8 with 55k miles. This particular car has all the options and seems to be in good condition. I've been wanting a car with a phenomenal sound system and experiencing the lexicon 17 speaker system blew me away. I know there is a potential issue with the transmission for the 2012 models, do you think I should be concerned about that or any other reliability issues since it's out of warranty (electronics etc)?

I guess my main criteria is a luxurious car, that's reliable, has a fantastic sound system and is under $20k used, I've also thought about the 2015+ Sonata Limited and there is a 2015 Azera locally as well which I believe both have an infinity system. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Hi All - I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Genesis 3.8 with 55k miles. This particular car has all the options and seems to be in good condition. I've been wanting a car with a phenomenal sound system and experiencing the lexicon 17 speaker system blew me away. I know there is a potential issue with the transmission for the 2012 models, do you think I should be concerned about that or any other reliability issues since it's out of warranty (electronics etc)?

I guess my main criteria is a luxurious car, that's reliable, has a fantastic sound system and is under $20k used, I've also thought about the 2015+ Sonata Limited and there is a 2015 Azera locally as well which I believe both have an infinity system. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!
Definitely good that it's got the bells and whistles on this one - And at the 12' I think that is the updated facelift which I find really a lot better than the original one that came out ...subtle but really makes a big difference i.m.o on the looks. It would ultimately depend on the price....what's the Azera priced at? I own an azera and while they are also a lot of car for the money, the RWD platform just drives so much better I think.

We don't get any snow though; so that's not an issue for me.

I would personally wait on the 2015 ones to get lower in price (if $ is of any issue for you)...I feel like the Hyundai one as opposed to the Genesis logo really had a huge price difference for the same car (for the most part).

Edit - Didnt realize the other 2015 was for a Sonata not another Genesis sedan
What are the prices on both of those cars? Really apples to oranges if you have ask me, even if the Sonata and Azera are 3 years younger.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely good that it's got the bells and whistles on this one - And at the 12' I think that is the updated facelift which I find really a lot better than the original one that came out ...subtle but really makes a big difference i.m.o on the looks. It would ultimately depend on the price....what's the Azera priced at? I own an azera and while they are also a lot of car for the money, the RWD platform just drives so much better I think.

We don't get any snow though; so that's not an issue for me.

I would personally wait on the 2015 ones to get lower in price (if $ is of any issue for you)...I feel like the Hyundai one as opposed to the Genesis logo really had a huge price difference for the same car (for the most part).

Edit - Didnt realize the other 2015 was for a Sonata not another Genesis sedan
What are the prices on both of those cars? Really apples to oranges if you have ask me, even if the Sonata and Azera are 3 years younger.

The 2012 Genesis 3.8 is priced at $15.5k w/ 55k miles and all options. I haven't jumped on it only because I've seen the 2012 had some "growing pains" with the first year of the 8 speed transmission. A close friend of mine had his fail right at 60k miles.

There are currently two Azera's for sale locally that have piqued my interest - one is a 2014 limited, fully loaded with 29k miles for $19k. The other is a 2015 base with 44k miles for $18k. I drove the 2014 today and thought it was a wonderful car.

I've pretty much ruled out the Sonata as a limited trim 2015+ Sonata is literally almost the same price as an Azera of the same year, no sense to purchase one since the Azera comes so well equipped.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've owned 2014, 2015 and 2016 Azeras. All were fine but the 2014 does not have cross traffic sensors. Not sure about the Genesises to check that.

There are lot of tech improvements so you want to ensure that they have those features.

I have owned two Genesises, a 2013, and a 2017. All of these are fine cars but honestly, I can no longer consider them because of back problems. Too much trouble to get in and out of the at my age. The Tucson and the Kona work fine and are both quite comfortable at speed. And I think you will find they will hold their value very well.

The outgoing Santa Fe should have at least $5,000 off the MRSP. If military, add another $500. And if the dealer participates with All State to listen to their spiel, (no obligation to buy), another $500. Probably be able to do even better than that.

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to buy unless you just can't live without the Genesis.

If I were to purchase the older style Genesis I would try to get a 2014 for the much better looking wheels. But again, does it have the sensors and smart cruise? Not sure. A 2015 would be a step up but it doesn't have all the latest tech gazetry.

Sales have been tepid at best with the poorly handled roll-out of the separate Genesis nameplate. If I wore going to get a new one I would opt for a 2018 base model as I have no use for that pano roof. In fact that is one of the reasons I dumped mine.

Good luck but check out the tech equipment. That is important, especially the cross traffic alert.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I just bought me an 11 with every option but the V8 with only 63k miles for $11,200. Love this car so much!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts