Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a few days ago my car wouldn’t start and the problem persist but I have somewhat found a way around it.

2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.4l
So I noticed my when I pressed the start button the starter would engage and the engine would turn over and stop, some times it does not do anything but I can hear what I assume is the fuel pump. However I done some research and tried a few things like wiggling the gear select and changing between neutral and park. At the moment it starting is a hit and miss. Has anyone had this issue? Looking for suggestions. If I can get the car to start after I get off work I’m going to take it to the dealership because the car runs perfectly normal once it starts so I feel it has to be an electrical issue.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Try putting the key fob next to the start button before trying to start engine
Also, could clean the battery post to remove any chance of corrosion preventing the engine from starting.
The next possible thing to do is check the starter relay.
If you don't know how to check a relay then look it up on youtube.
Good luck

·
Registered
155 Posts
In my experience, transmission is in Park and parking brake is engaged, insert the key and try to start the engine, all dashboard and instrument cluster lights turns on and dims but the engine does not crank, then, inhibitor switch may need to be double checked.

Now, what you can do is if there is no crank, you just step on the brakes and shift to any gears and go back to Neutral, release the brakes then start the engine. If the engine starts, the inhibitor switch needs replacement.

If the problem persist, there could be something else is going on where a mechanic might be able to check it for you.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If it was the inhibitor switch, The starter never turns... it is ...inhibited :sneaky:. Since you had it attempt to start, it is more likely a battery going bad and/or bad ground. check the ground cable coming off the battery...it goes to a painted surface. 1) Remove the ground from the body 2) Sand/wire brush to bare metal 3) Re-attach ground 4) Cover with protective coating spray to prevent rust.

If it still somehow is the inhibitor switch, then move to neutral and put in the parking brake. If it fires up every time that way, then the inhibitor switch is suspect, however, it would not account for the engine crank and stop that you described and you could be dealing with both issues. The replacement of the inhibitor switch is pretty easy. Remove the battery and the battery tray. It is right there and easy to get to. Recommend blocking the tires, putting on parking brake and replacing while gear selector is in neutral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: It was the starter going bad, I took it to the dealership and had it changed and it costed me $600

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Depending on source, Hyundai could have been charging almost $400 for the starter and then $200 for labor. Rockauto.com ACDelco or Denso new starters ~$100-$120. If you couldn't do it yourself you could have gotten it done at a shop for under $200 labor and cut your total costs in half.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
forgeinaz
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing