Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please tell me the symptoms of an improper install of a Mass Air Flow Sensor. I tried to change it myself and it has been stalling on me since. Could I have done something wrong?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is usually an arrow molded onto the MAF body.....

Air filter box -------> toward the throttle body/engine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that. I am thinking maybe I didn't tighten something up enough.

My car was stalling, so I took it to a mechanic for a dianosis, they said it was the MAF so I replaced my MAF 3 weeks ago and it ran fine. I did not disconnect the battery to reset the computer, however the check engine light did turn off immediatly. After 2 weeks my check engine light came back on. I took it to autozone and they said the mass airflow sensor was bad. I did not get the codes. Since it was only 2 weeks old I exchanged the MAF and installed a new one in Autozone's parking lot. On the way home my car ran rough, as I got it home it stalled. I took the MAF off and tightened up some bolts and it started fine, but would idle rough. It stalled out a few times but started up right away. It ran fine for a few days then as I was going to work (on a slight incline) the engine lost power. I would slam on the gas and got little power. I went from 35 mph to 10. I was able to get back to the car after work (Thank God for friends who come to the rescue.) My friend tightened the bolt on the clamp that connects the MAF to the hose (air intake?). The car started and I drove it home with no issues.

Could the issue have been I didn't tighten the bolt tight enough or could it be something more?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
QUOTE (qcbuttercup @ Aug 7 2010, 03:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347717
I know that. I am thinking maybe I didn't tighten something up enough.

My car was stalling, so I took it to a mechanic for a dianosis, they said it was the MAF so I replaced my MAF 3 weeks ago and it ran fine. I did not disconnect the battery to reset the computer, however the check engine light did turn off immediatly. After 2 weeks my check engine light came back on. I took it to autozone and they said the mass airflow sensor was bad. I did not get the codes. Since it was only 2 weeks old I exchanged the MAF and installed a new one in Autozone's parking lot. On the way home my car ran rough, as I got it home it stalled. I took the MAF off and tightened up some bolts and it started fine, but would idle rough. It stalled out a few times but started up right away. It ran fine for a few days then as I was going to work (on a slight incline) the engine lost power. I would slam on the gas and got little power. I went from 35 mph to 10. I was able to get back to the car after work (Thank God for friends who come to the rescue.) My friend tightened the bolt on the clamp that connects the MAF to the hose (air intake?). The car started and I drove it home with no issues.

Could the issue have been I didn't tighten the bolt tight enough or could it be something more?

please do not double post your questions, your other identical post has been deleted

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am not a huge fan of aftermarket sensors for our cars after reading so many posts about a faulty one being purchased. It seems to have more problems that way. I always get the OEM parts and have never had a bad part yet. I've changed the O2 sensors, CSP sensor & a MAF.

Miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the info. I finally threw in the towel and towed it somewhere yesterday. The mechanic started the car with no problem. Then he tried to put it in gear and it died. Now I play the waiting game and see what he says. I have limited funds so I hope it is an easy and inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just in case you were wondering the outcome....

It was a faulty MAF. He had to replace the MAF for us to find the second problem which was a new TPS. Now my car accelerates better than it has in a really long time, gets better and gas mileage. I have now found a decent, and honest mechanic. I never knew they existed ;) (

1 - 10 of 10 Posts