Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe CDX from new. It currently has 158k miles and up until a couple of hours ago, ran like a dream.

I was traveling on the M6 towards Knutsford in the 50 mph zone and it suddenly started to lose power.

If I ran it in a lower gear at higher revs, it would keep going, but as soon as I went into a higher gear and lower revs it started to knock and bellow our black smoke.

I pulled into the services and had a good look around. Nothing obvious and the oil looked fine, but no engine warning light, so it can’t be electrical.

I got the RAC out and he checked the injectors and they all look fine.

So I am just waiting for a recovery truck, but it’s not looking good.

Any ideas from anyone on a possible symptom?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Black smoke is usually too much fuel being dumped into the cylinders, which would also cause a loss of power. You say the injectors look OK, and I'm not real familiar with this model, so I'd be wondering about the fuel pump, or the fuel pressure regulator, if it has one. We had a Volvo 740 Turbo wagon that would do this, and every time it was the pressure regulator.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,953 Posts
I assume it's a 2.2 CRDi?

I got the RAC out and he checked the injectors and they all look fine.
Checked them how? Did he test them electrically or did he do a leak off test? Or did he just shine his magic RAC torch on them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your not wrong.
He removed the intercooler and looked at them.

He thought one may have gotten loose(!)

When the recovery truck arrived, I had to start it and move it into position. He did mention that it could be an injector as they can “blow out”.

When I took it off the transporter, I tried to reverse it onto my driveway, but it was completely gutless. I then had to turn it around and go on forward. It was smoking like a bugger.

I can’t see it being anything mechanical as it would sound a lot different if it was metal on metal.

Still slightly puzzled.

·
Registered
16,953 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much at this point. It probably isn't anything terminal. It could be just an injector or possibly the turbo.

Did the RAC guy try running it with the intercooler off? If the turbo has failed it can cause a restriction in the air intake. Removing the hoses off the intercooler would make the engine run better if that was the case because it's able to breath again. Obviously, there wouldn't be any boost though so performance would still be well down on normal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't worry too much at this point. It probably isn't anything terminal. It could be just an injector or possibly the turbo.

Did the RAC guy try running it with the intercooler off? If the turbo has failed it can cause a restriction in the air intake. Removing the hoses off the intercooler would make the engine run better if that was the case because it's able to breath again. Obviously, there wouldn't be any boost though so performance would still be well down on normal.
That’s a good shout.

No. He didn’t really delve much further to be honest.

I’ll have a look in the morning.

Thanks for the replies. ??

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
What would it do if it reads high boost? Ford used a WOT switch and when they failed it would be real bad unless you drove the snot out of it.

·
Registered
16,953 Posts
Ah well, the hero lives on then. Glad to hear it.
Thanks for posting back to let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No worries.

Many thanks for the input. It is the first time I have ever experienced an Injector failing and it does give the impression of a catastrophic failure.

Hopefully, it will all be okay now.

My only concern is that if one injector has failed, will the remaining injectors follow suit?

Is it true that it isn't just a case of a swap out. That it will need to be programmed and set?

·
Registered
16,953 Posts
My only concern is that if one injector has failed, will the remaining injectors follow suit?
They've all on the engine for the same length of time and probably all been subject to the same amount of wear so they might.

Walshy1 said:
Is it true that it isn't just a case of a swap out. That it will need to be programmed and set?
Yes, the new injectors will need to be coded into the engine control module.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I will suck it and see. If another goes, then it might just be change the rest of them.

??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It continues.
After initially telling me it was an injector, I received a call saying saying they had installed a new injector and it hasn’t solved the problem.

They are now saying it could be a valve, but they will need to take the head off to investigate and it will be £1500.

Not sure it’s worth saving with 160k miles on her.

Can’t see how just a single valve would be an issue?????

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
An injector just failed and the others have an identical service history. Could this be a second one failed?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure.
I am going in to see them this morning.

I would have thought that as part of the checks, they would have looked at all the injectors.

The fact that they are saying it's a valve???? As I said, I am not massively aware when it comes to diesel engines, but I would assume you do a compression test in the same way you would with a petrol engine?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So. It is officially the end.

I went to see the garage and they think it could be a head gasket or even a dodgy valve. Either way, it is going to be upwards of £1500 to sort out.

Whist the car is immaculate and has been a brilliant servant, I cover a lot of miles per year and even after that expense, there would be no guarantees of something else failing. So, it is will a heavy heart that I am going to say goodbye to my trusty servant of 11 years and buy a replacement.

The Santa Fe has without doubt, been the best car I have ever owned and it will be missed, but I am using this as the opportunity to downsize slightly, so it's a 2.0 CRDi Tucson for me. Already ordered and will be collecting in the next couple of weeks. It was always going to be another Hyundai.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So for anyone that might be interested.

The chap that bought the car has set about the engine and interestingly, the problem was not an injector.

On further investigation, it was actually the needle roller bearing on the rocker that had failed. So the valve wouldn’t open correctly.

This then spat bearings into the camshaft and damaged that.

He is putting it right though.

I’ve never heard of this before though.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
So you're still talking about significant engine damage, which might suggest more drama coming down the highway. Maybe it's just as well. Besides, you have an excellent excuse to get a new car. Sounds like a plan!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts