Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Wife has been coming home and the car smells like coolant. The tiny hose from the rad cap to the reservoir isn't pressurized and popping the res cap does not release pressure. Does anybody know if they are supposed to pressurized?

The coolant level is in the exact middle of high and low just after a 25 minute highway drive. I cant see any puddles or leaks anywhere on the tray; but I have pulled the tray anyway to see if leaks show up on my floor. Temp gauge never wavers at all from what she tells me.

This is a bit perplexing. Maybe a bad rad cap?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
No, reservoir never pressurized on most Hyundai; low level causes fluid to be drawn into radiator.
Not that uncommon for slight glycol smell; checking for visible leaks is the smart thing to do. Factory squeeze clamps get weak after 4-5 years and connections will start to get tiny drips which may evaporate but there will be slight smell.
If you haven't changed fluid in 60k miles or 3-4 years I would dump fluid , remove hoses one at a time, clean off any deposits on engine piping and install new gear clamps that can be tightened.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
A good way to tell if there are any minor leaks in a cooling system is when the engine is dead cold, take off the radiator cap. The coolant should be all the way to the top where the small hose is. If it isn't and there is coolant in the overflow then air is being sucked in when the coolant cools down instead of the coolant from the overflow.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Remove air tube between throttle body and air filter.. look at the black module on back of cylinder head and trans area there for signs of green..

Seen 1 last week, dont know what become of it..

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remove air tube between throttle body and air filter.. look at the black module on back of cylinder head and trans area there for signs of green..

Seen 1 last week, dont know what become of it..
No signs of green or fluid that I can tell if I understand where to look. I did discover that my trans is still leaking on the top somehow. I cleaned up all signs of the red trans fluid and I pull the air box and its pooled in the trans case "cups" under the driver side motor mount. I am beginning to really dislike this car. Only has 28K on it and has been babied.

Cant check the coolant at the cap as its still warm at the cap.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
could he smell be ATF and not coolant?
If it was ATF then he would know. They have distinct smells, with tranny fluid being almost obnoxious vs the slight smell of the ethylene glycol in antifreeze.

Cats I have noticed an antifreeze smell off and on since changing my coolant @ 72k. Always figured I wasted some near the exhaust or a warm area. Since I went to G05 its a bleachy chlorine smell, where yours is probably a sweet-ish fume. Hope I dont have an issue in the making

As far as your atf leak, isnt there a washer on the atf injection port plug? Maybe time to have that replaced. Besides you should still have warranty left...id be on the dealer to correct these issues

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, its a super sweet smell. Its coolant for sure.

And yeah it will go back again. First time they had no idea and put in dye to help track it. They said. So we will see.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It is likely a minor leak if your coolant level is OK. Sometimes the leaks are so minor that the coolant evaporates but still gives you that smell. (I have had an antifreeze smell on my Camaro for several years. It is probably my water pump but this is a known issue and there is no sign of coolant anywhere.)

I would ask the dealer to check it out since it should be a warranty item. They will likely pressure test it first to see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts