Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting a clicking noise when I up shift. its mainly from 1st-3rd, couple times into 4th and once into 5th. its happening as soon as I let out the clutch. I wont be able to take it in for a week or so and its bothering me a lot. I can even hear it with the radio at 10ish and the window cracked. anyone else having this problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
im getting a clicking noise when I up shift. its mainly from 1st-3rd, couple times into 4th and once into 5th. its happening as soon as I let out the clutch. I wont be able to take it in for a week or so and its bothering me a lot. I can even hear it with the radio at 10ish and the window cracked. anyone else having this problem.
I have been having this same problem. I thought it was me and how I was driving so I have been trying to be more conservative but sometimes it seems out of my control.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
clicking is an odd one....i'm not sure what would cause a clicking noise. squealing, chirping, etc i can understand...

all i can think of is the clutch bearing since there really isn't anything else there to make a noise like that. possibly the disc? seen any slipping from the clutch?

is there some reason you two aren't using your warranty for this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine has developed a clicking sound but it doesn't seem to be related to the clutch. When I'm going slow and let off the gas and then put it back on, it clicks like there's some slop in the transaxle. I'm getting concerned to be honest as it's getting worse too. It doesn't change whether I'm pedaling the clutch or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I'm old...so I've experienced stuff. Does the clicking get worse if you make a sharp slow speed turn? (try turning both directions) If so, you'll need to check the CV joints.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did a search in the MD Elantra forum and found this "

Try a pair of these... was call out for a short run of 2011,, but maybe Moe stumbled across old pallet of parts and noise back for a handfull of cars of recent production..

Need (2) of these --> 49536-A5000-FFF -- (1) per side

Steel washer to go between stub end of outer CV joint to side of axle bearing to take up any small slop space from production tolerance stacking
" Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Did a search in the MD Elantra forum and found this "

Try a pair of these... was call out for a short run of 2011,, but maybe Moe stumbled across old pallet of parts and noise back for a handfull of cars of recent production..

Need (2) of these --> 49536-A5000-FFF -- (1) per side

Steel washer to go between stub end of outer CV joint to side of axle bearing to take up any small slop space from production tolerance stacking
" Hope this helps.

how about checking it before he starts tearing it apart?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gonna be couple weeks still before I cant take it in. not sure if its just me freaking out about it, but it seems like its getting worse. now I wish I would have gotten around to teaching my wife how to drive a manual so she could take it in... yet now might be a good time, if she breaks it I gots a warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
how about checking it before he starts tearing it apart?
Zero_gravity,
I wasn't suggesting vxmoto23 should disassemble his car and install these washers. I assumed his car is still under warranty. When he takes it in for repair, he should mention that Hyundai has already solved a similiar problem (issued a TSB, don't know the number) and that would be the Hyundai service technician's starting point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, I have not had a chance to take it to the dealer yet. It's definitely not a "typical" CV joint sound in that it doesn't click when turning.

Thanks for sharing the Service Bulletin. I'm pretty sure that a good dealer mechanic will know what it is as it's there all the time.

What is bumming me out is that I have 21k miles on the car and it's been flawless and I have not flogged the car either. I will update the thread after I take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just installed a K&N CAI kit and after a test drive, it seemed to me that the transition felt smoother between 1st and 2nd gear. Perhaps I'm just getting used to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just curious, do you think the shifting improved because you are rev matching better since you can now hear the motor? I've noticed on mine, stock air intake, AC running and tunes; I really can't hear the motor. So often I'm not rev matching thus less than ideal shifts.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I chalk it up to the shift linkages and the shifter moving in the gates. I wouldn't be concerned over this. It doesn't affect the car's abilities, so no point in talking it to Hyundai for them to say there's nothing wrong.

·
Registered
740 Posts
yep, that's what it sounds like

Please tell me what the mechanic says. I would really like to know this problem.

I would like to know the actual problem before taking it in because I work with odd hours and I don't have time in the day to take it in. I would have to take a day off of work and a day off is frowned upon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'll should be able to take it in early next week so I'll make a call on Friday to set up an appointment

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
106 Posts
I know its only anecdotal, but my previous Elantra did this as well. Whenever you would shift into any gear, and especially reverse when sitting still (most noticable in the mornings before you started going) it would click-clack very loudly.

It wasn't when you pressed the clutch, only when you moved the shifter. This elantra does the same thing. At speed, the road / engine noise is such that it can no longer be heard, but sitting still and shifting through the gears it will clack clack clack each time you engage a gear with the clutch in.

Considering that mine does it as well I don't think there's any issues with it. I've put 15000 miles on it so far with no issues, and it still does it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the noise isn't the noise you hear when just sitting there shifting the gears, it is when I let out the clutch or if I leave it in lower gears and give it a little gas. to me it sounds like the cv axles, and my mechanics are thinking the same. normally I would pull it into the shop and figure it out myself but got a new DM and no one is able to pull their own cars in anymore.

·
Registered
740 Posts
the noise isn't the noise you hear when just sitting there shifting the gears, it is when I let out the clutch or if I leave it in lower gears and give it a little gas. to me it sounds like the cv axles, and my mechanics are thinking the same. normally I would pull it into the shop and figure it out myself but got a new DM and no one is able to pull their own cars in anymore.

SSJ, you are not alone. There are others with the same problem but no one took their cars in. I hope it's not a CV axle. I've seen what happens when CV axles fail. Some could cause fatal accidents.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts