Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I messed up and didn't keep a close enough eye on my battery, and I got a bit of corrosion on the positive terminal. This has caused the cable to become loose, and the bolt to tighten or loosen the positive terminal is pretty much fused in place. Trying to force the bolt loose has been unsuccessful. I have to sometimes hammer down the positive cable onto the battery terminal to start my car.

The Hyundai dealership quoted $650 to replace a simple cable. They claimed the part from Hyundai is about $450 and will take about two hours of labor.

Question is, do I have to use Hyundai's part? Will a third party mechanic just use a regular cable? Perhaps I can ask one to use a regular cable with a 150A fuse to mimic Hyundai's very expensive part.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I think $650 to replace a metal loop is a bit silly.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Why not just replace the terminal? Go to oreilly auto parts and ask for help. They can replace it for free. Replacing the whole cable is too much work. You can get new cable from Korean online shops such as fourgreen.com

·
Registered
785 Posts
Have you tried using baking soda mixed in water to clean off the corrosion!?!? Put the solution in a cup/bowl, and submerge your positive cable end in the water for 15-20 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts