Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I would like to get some help figuring this out. Bare with me ill try my best to describe in details what it is that im trying to solve.
I own a 2013 Limited Hyundai Elantra with the tech package.
I am using a 250gb capacity portable hard drive, at first when i go the vehicle i had all of my songs in the root of the drive and the car was able to read everything just fine.
I decided to organize things a little better so what i did was create a folder that would contain all of the songs for a quick all random playlist and then i then organize all of my music library in folder and subfolders by Artist and Albums.
The problem im having is that the vehicle is recognizing the first folder with all the songs as well as about 6-7 more folders by artists and their respective subfolders by albums. but it wont recognize my entire library.
Is this normal? am i doing something wrong?

Please please please help!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I noticed this as well on my thumb drive, it only saw a FEW files in the ROOT directory, no sub folders. I formatted the drive with different cluster sizes, fat, fat32, ntfs. Maybe its just my drive.

Using windows 7 64bit

I'd like to make a list of thumb drives that do and dont work as well as hard drives.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First of all, you need to be aware of the power requirements of an external hard drive versus a USB thumbs drive. The thumb drives only require a few mA, I think around 500 mA or .5 A. However, external hard drives require much more. This is because they have moving parts that require more power. So, even though it did see some things first, the drive may not be getting enough juice to spin the drives to 'look deeper'. If it is getting enough power (you can check this by putting your ear up to the drive and listen for the 'spinning' sound), the the issue will be either the formatting of the drive or the limitations of the head unit itself.

I would suggest re-formatting the drive with a smaller sector size (maybe 512) with fat32. NTFS will most likely cause issues because of the way Microsoft does their allocation tables (I won't get into the specifics). Keep in mind the limitations fat32 has. The max file size is 4GB. Also, the unit most likely has a max folder depth. Folder depth is the number of folders nested within other folders. Before I replaced my stock headunit, I tested some flash drives. I filled up an 8GB drive with no issues.

Here were my steps:

1. Get MediaMonkey
  2. After all the music is showing up in the library, use media monkey to edit every song's metadata (this can be done automatically, right click the song and click get info from web)
  3. After all songs have the correct metadata you want to edit the way you 'sync' the music to a device. Check this page of for a little help. Set it up without the 'Music' folder. It should look similar to this: Artist/Album/Song
  4. After the above is done, right click any song and send to 'your usb drive"
Test this out, hope it helps. This was a quick little write up but if someone needs me to, I can create a little 'how to' for you guys.

·
Registered
237 Posts
First of all, you need to be aware of the power requirements of an external hard drive versus a USB thumbs drive. The thumb drives only require a few mA, I think around 500 mA or .5 A. However, external hard drives require much more.
Yup! I agree. I have a Western Digital 500GB portable harddrive that draws it's power off the USB port (only needs one). It wouldn't work in my Elantra. I have a 16GB flash drive on mine and it has no problems. It also recognizes my 32GB stick.

I would suggest re-formatting the drive with a smaller sector size (maybe 512) with fat32. NTFS will most likely cause issues because of the way Microsoft does their allocation tables (I won't get into the specifics). Keep in mind the limitations fat32 has. The max file size is 4GB. Also, the unit most likely has a max folder depth. Folder depth is the number of folders nested within other folders. Before I replaced my stock headunit, I tested some flash drives. I filled up an 8GB drive with no issues.
FAT32 is limited to 512 subdirectories. I only go down 4 nested subdirectories, and have tested up to 12 nested subdirectories. If you're doing down more than 30 subdirectories, then they have serious OCD. ;)

Music located at the root of a location is played first. Then the sub-directories second. The songs are played in file name alphabetical order with numbers played first (Ex. 01-Mysong.mp3 is played first over Mysong.mp3). Then capitalized letters, then lower case letters. Example, songs labeled: N-Trance, n-Trance, and n-trance. N-Trance is played first. n-Trance is played second. n-trance is played third.

Also make sure you have your id3v1 tag populated for the stock radio head to display artist and name.

I am using a 250gb capacity portable hard drive, at first when i go the vehicle i had all of my songs in the root of the drive and the car was able to read everything just fine.
I decided to organize things a little better so what i did was create a folder that would contain all of the songs for a quick all random playlist and then i then organize all of my music library in folder and subfolders by Artist and Albums.
So you initially had your entire music library? Or you had songs on the drive and then came back and added the entire music library sorted out by folders? The root directory can only have 512 entries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts