Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i have this popping sound that sounds like its coming from the front left. I have no clue what it could be any ideas??
It only happens sometimes and at speeds 0 to 20mph

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (V6 Sonata @ Jul 1 2010, 02:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337962
Alright i have this popping sound that sounds like its coming from the front left. I have no clue what it could be any ideas??
It only happens sometimes and at speeds 0 to 20mph
How many miles do you have on your vehicle? Does it go away at higher speeds only to return when you slow back down? Could it be the wheel bearings? Bad tire?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Jul 1 2010, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337971
How many miles do you have on your vehicle? Does it go away at higher speeds only to return when you slow back down? Could it be the wheel bearings? Bad tire?
62,XXX i have extended warranty but not really wanting to take it down to the dealer, it goes away at higher speeds and returns when i get into that range. How would i check that and i know its not the tires they are fairly new and just got them rotated. When i brake or am even rolling i can some what feel it in the pedal the pop more so when i am braking.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (V6 Sonata @ Jul 1 2010, 03:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337975
62,XXX i have extended warranty but not really wanting to take it down to the dealer, it goes away at higher speeds and returns when i get into that range. How would i check that and i know its not the tires they are fairly new and just got them rotated. When i brake or am even rolling i can some what feel it in the pedal the pop more so when i am braking.
62K is normally a bit too soon for wheel bearings. However, with front tires in the air, the transmission engaged and the wheels turning you should hear a metallic scraping/clunking sound coming from the wheel bearing area. A stethiscope, or other listening device, held against the wheel hub will amplify any slight sounds since it is hard to hear in the beginning but only gets worse with time.

Make sure all lug nuts are tight since you just had tires rotated. Make sure that they are not TOO tight either, need to be tightened to proper torque. Might also want to check the balance of the wheels since a weight could have come off.

Do you feel it when braking at speeds above 20 MPH? Might have a pad loose, out of adjustment or riding up against rotor which might be felt more at lower speeds if you don't feel it at higher speeds when braking. If wheels check out okay, I would guess something in brake area is out of adjustment.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check your tire pressure. When I had my tires rotated, they filled them to 42psi for some reason. I heard popping noises and what I thought was a wheel bearing failing. Dropped the pressure to 32 and all was silent again.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright after looking further into now it sounds like its from the front and rear :eek: , i think it might just be a trip to the dealer. I wonder if its the K Thunk ?? Doubt it though being that it goes away. Me and my friend were thinking its a CV Boot BUT now that we here it from the back also were puzzled.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Jul 1 2010, 02:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337989
62K is normally a bit too soon for wheel bearings. However, with front tires in the air, the transmission engaged and the wheels turning you should hear a metallic scraping/clunking sound coming from the wheel bearing area. A stethiscope, or other listening device, held against the wheel hub will amplify any slight sounds since it is hard to hear in the beginning but only gets worse with time.

Make sure all lug nuts are tight since you just had tires rotated. Make sure that they are not TOO tight either, need to be tightened to proper torque. Might also want to check the balance of the wheels since a weight could have come off.

Do you feel it when braking at speeds above 20 MPH? Might have a pad loose, out of adjustment or riding up against rotor which might be felt more at lower speeds if you don't feel it at higher speeds when braking. If wheels check out okay, I would guess something in brake area is out of adjustment.
Nope its only in the 0 - 20 mph range and now im thinking its coming from the back also i have no idea what the **** it is. Checked lug nuts all weights and everything checks out, i was starting to think it was a cv boot until i finally heard it from the back also. I can feel it in the front though and now sometimes hear it in the back idk somethings up

·
Registered
27 Posts
My '06 Sonata (56K miles) has recently developed similar noise as yours. But it's only in the rear, but I can even feel it in the front with my foot flat on the floor. I'm going to have the rear brake serviced and see if it's the culprit. I guess after 4 1/2 years and 56K miles, pistons and pins could be all dried up or maybe the pads could become loose. here's my diagnosis:

- clunking noise from rear, under, not from the trunk, along with slight vibration on the floor
- 0 - 20 mph
- no such noise at higher speed, though i think i still hear very faint ones at around 25-30 mph
- more pronounced when slowly moving out after braking to full stop
- sounds similar to the brake noise I get from my aftermarket pads and rotors in the front when the car is coming to full stop (getting oem pads for rear)
- thought it could be stuck pads due to sticky calipers, tried speeding up then let the car slow down without applying brakes to the problem speed range, 2 out of 3 times the noise is there
- it still could be a loose brake pads
- all 4 new tires (about 5K miles on them), rotated and balanced a couple weeks ago
- cleaned out all items from the car and still the noise
- whether driving alone or with passenger in the back, the noise is there.

i'm going to have the car raised and check for leaks in the suspension components. from time to time, i like to drive without any music, just to enjoy the smooth engine sound and sleep-inducing very quiet road noise, and this noise is really bothering me. trying to find the root cause of this noise, i discovered the noisy passenger headrest when extended and going over bumps.

i'll post back if i find the cause. pls let me know what you find out as well. thanks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (aung2004 @ Jul 23 2010, 11:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344341
My '06 Sonata (56K miles) has recently developed similar noise as yours. But it's only in the rear, but I can even feel it in the front with my foot flat on the floor. I'm going to have the rear brake serviced and see if it's the culprit. I guess after 4 1/2 years and 56K miles, pistons and pins could be all dried up or maybe the pads could become loose. here's my diagnosis:

- clunking noise from rear, under, not from the trunk, along with slight vibration on the floor
- 0 - 20 mph
- no such noise at higher speed, though i think i still hear very faint ones at around 25-30 mph
- more pronounced when slowly moving out after braking to full stop
- sounds similar to the brake noise I get from my aftermarket pads and rotors in the front when the car is coming to full stop (getting oem pads for rear)
- thought it could be stuck pads due to sticky calipers, tried speeding up then let the car slow down without applying brakes to the problem speed range, 2 out of 3 times the noise is there
- it still could be a loose brake pads
- all 4 new tires (about 5K miles on them), rotated and balanced a couple weeks ago
- cleaned out all items from the car and still the noise
- whether driving alone or with passenger in the back, the noise is there.

i'm going to have the car raised and check for leaks in the suspension components. from time to time, i like to drive without any music, just to enjoy the smooth engine sound and sleep-inducing very quiet road noise, and this noise is really bothering me. trying to find the root cause of this noise, i discovered the noisy passenger headrest when extended and going over bumps.

i'll post back if i find the cause. pls let me know what you find out as well. thanks.
I havent been able to pin point it and havent taken her down to the dealer, although now im thinking it has something to do with the back brake becuase they do need to be replaced. At the same time i havent heard of a noise or issue like this arise when brakes need to be done.So im still at a loss with it because the car doesnt do it all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 07 Sonata has been making a popping noise from the back for the past two weeks, when slowing down and after starting from a stop. Took it in to the dealer and in the past week had the right front cv joint replaced and the sway bar links replaced and the back brake pads and shims replaced due to they said the shims were rusty, Mind you I had the pads and shims replaced in Feb this year. Still have the noise, and a Hyundai rep just told me that its just a noise that the car makes. My car is only 3yrs old and has 58,333 miles. And now I can hear the noise as I'm driving and can feel it through the floor of the car. So taking back to dealer on Tue. I know there is something wrong and it's not just a noise the car makes, never had any of my others cars make noise like that. I think it might be the rear shock absorber. Will post if find out anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (Charlotte2007 @ Jul 26 2010, 12:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344758
My 07 Sonata has been making a popping noise from the back for the past two weeks, when slowing down and after starting from a stop. Took it in to the dealer and in the past week had the right front cv joint replaced and the sway bar links replaced and the back brake pads and shims replaced due to they said the shims were rusty, Mind you I had the pads and shims replaced in Feb this year. Still have the noise, and a Hyundai rep just told me that its just a noise that the car makes. My car is only 3yrs old and has 58,333 miles. And now I can hear the noise as I'm driving and can feel it through the floor of the car. So taking back to dealer on Tue. I know there is something wrong and it's not just a noise the car makes, never had any of my others cars make noise like that. I think it might be the rear shock absorber. Will post if find out anything.
Apparently, from my experiments so far, it only happens when the car is in slow motion. if the car is standing still and somebody push down the trunk, i don't hear or feel such noise both from outside and inside. also the fact that it still occurs even when I am not using the brakes shows it may not be the brakes. plus you have the same noise and having the rear brake serviced didn't help your car. what else in the rear that can make such noise just by going slowly, even on smooth roads? i know if the bushings aren't good, you get the noise from them too when you brake and the weight from the back shifts to the front. here, this is not the case.

can you try this? on a long, clear stretch of road, start from rest to about 40 mph. soon as u reach 40mph, let go of the gas and let it come to stop. see if you can hear the noise around 25-0 mph. better if it's on a quiet road. i tried that and 2 out of 3 times, i heard the noise. u see, in this test, no brake is involved.

for now, i'm managing the symptoms with louder radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes I've tried getting up to 40mph and letting off gas and will hear the noise. Took to dealer today and gave them the service bulletin for the rear shock absorber. Well now my car is red flagged what ever that means, and they have to call the Hyundai rep to get his ok to replace the rear shock absorber. At this point I don't care what they have to do I just want it fixed. And I get tired of having my radio turned up loud as I also want to hear if the noise changes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (Charlotte2007 @ Jul 27 2010, 09:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345368
Yes I've tried getting up to 40mph and letting off gas and will hear the noise. Took to dealer today and gave them the service bulletin for the rear shock absorber. Well now my car is red flagged what ever that means, and they have to call the Hyundai rep to get his ok to replace the rear shock absorber. At this point I don't care what they have to do I just want it fixed. And I get tired of having my radio turned up loud as I also want to hear if the noise changes.
Do you have the TSB # or sth? Does it apply to '06 Sonata as well? If that's the case, I wanna take mine in for warranty repair, i've got one extra year. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The service bulletin number is 0601011 and it's only for the 2007 Sonata V6. But it never hurts to talk to your service guys at your dealership, and take them for a test drive and see what they say, and to make you happy they might just replace them for you.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great well hopefully in two weeks i can finally take my sonata in this sucks because im reading all these posts and now i know its serious

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't see how a hyundai rep can try and tell me that my car that's only 3yrs old is supposed to be making a popping sound. I know there is something wrong. And I called other hyundai dealers here in Nebraska and not one service guy has heard of this. But on a good note my service guy is going to order the parts and put them on for me. Hope this works, if not back to square one. Will post after the work is done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
mine is 09 limited with < 20k on it. it started making that noise after 15k mile service.
have to take it to the dealer. 'll update if i find any.
if u r hearing anything from front tire then it may b backing plate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I'm new here - bought my 2010 Sonata (used) about 3 weeks ago. A day or two after I got it I was hearing a clunk noise in the back right and started reading about the "k-thunk" problem here. So I thought I would at least try the basics first - anything loose in the trunk? No. Thought maybe the plastic bucket thing in the right part of the trunk was bouncing so I put a towel under it. No. When I was poking around with the spare tire to see if it was loose, I noticed that the two large bolts/screws in the floor of the trunk (back, right) were coming out! I tightened them up and the problem was solved. Sounds kind of like this problem - went away at higher speeds (probably just because I couldn't hear it anymore.) May be worth checking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts