Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I've driven, park the car in the garage, turn off the engine, trans in park, a loud popping sound coming from the transmission (?) It sounds as if the car is clicking, popping into gear, although it's in Park. The garage is level and the car is not being moved in any kind of way. I sometimes sit in the car to finish a song or a phone call and I noticed this yesterday. Searched around but didn't find anyone else addressing this issue.

Ray

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (crayb @ Nov 14 2010, 07:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371644
I've noticed that when I've driven, park the car in the garage, turn off the engine, trans in park, a loud popping sound coming from the transmission (?) It sounds as if the car is clicking, popping into gear, although it's in Park. The garage is level and the car is not being moved in any kind of way. I sometimes sit in the car to finish a song or a phone call and I noticed this yesterday. Searched around but didn't find anyone else addressing this issue.

Ray
Most likely this is the sound of exhaust components contracting as they cool. The sound is normal. Have your dealer check to be sure.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
could it possibly be the heat shield on the exhaust cooling off? I don't think it is transmission related if your hearing the noise long after you have already shifted into park and your on level ground. I was thinking the parking pawl, but that can't be it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just a loud pop. It could be the exhaust cooling but it sounds more like the brake interlock clicking sound. It is not causing any problems that I'd take it into the d-ship for, just wondered if others are experiencing it.

Thanks guys

Ray

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mine only does it only when the car is cold and it's my first time putting the car into Drive, it does a click sound.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My car has had this since day one. I really don't think its the exhaust cooling off because once the car is warm it will do it while you are sitting still at a red light or in traffic, not only when its "cooling down" Its very annoying and I will be taking it to the dealer when I get the car back from the body shop. I've narrowed it down that its coming from the passenger side front end, the sounds is an evenly timed pop/click sound and you can hear it from the inside and its even louder from the outside if you lay down towards the front passenger wheel.

Ray the next time you drive your car get it up to driving temp and turn everything off so that its silent inside the car, keep the windows up and listen for this sound while sitting at a red light or while sitting still report back with what you hear...

I've found that this sound is here no matter what I do, I've tried to pinpoint it but no luck. Its here with the cooling fan on/off and with the radio on/off the car can be running and the car can be off its still there. I have to take the car in for another sound coming from the sunroof when I'm driving so ill let you know what I'm told.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wasn't exactly looking for it but since I've only had my car for a month (2 weeks of which its been in the body shop...) I drove it very easy and didn't listen to the radio at high volumes and its been chilly here so the windows have been up making this sound very easy to hear. Hopefully I get my car back soon so I can drive for what I'm paying for and then make an appt with the dealer.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You should be more specific. Are you using your parking brake? If not, the tranny clicks when the park pawl engages. That makes it a little harder to shift out of park, but on a flat garage it shouldn't be an issue. But the 'click' will always happen. You should record the noise to better understand what you're talking about.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This noise is not the parking pawl, the noise is present while im driving (car in drive) and when im sitting still at a red light, it is there with the fan motor on and off and even when the car is sitiing still off and I'm out of the vehicle.

It almost sounds light a selenoid click... I will be calling the dealer to get an appt to take it in because I'm also getting an annoying noise from the headliner around the sunroof opening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually visited the dealer and they said the sound is coming from the manifold and the connected pipes cooling down.
I noticed that Sonata has pretty poor sound proof.
If you are listening to your music in your car while its parked, you can hear it from pretty good distance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had this pretty much from day one. Usually heard after driving and car is shut off. I always wondered what it was. I'm assuming it has something to do
with something cooling down. I haven't had any issues so I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Nov 19 2010, 04:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373145
Am I the only one that thought of somebody popping around a car like this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buJzqjDHRxw
WTF? how does that video even relate to this thread? I clicked on it thinking it was a video of a similar clicking/poping sound but no it was some asian guy dancing and jumping around to cars horn beeping. Seriously I dont know what to say to this useless reply. :unsure:

·
Registered
349 Posts
More on topic to this thread... I took my car into the dealer today to have this issue addressed and also to have a noise in the headliner around the sunroof opening checked, Well after a few hours I was told the car was ready to be picked up so headed back to the D-ship, they said they fixed 2 loose clips in the headliner and also adjusted a hose clamp on the sunroof drain hose and after a test drive no more noise so that issue was solved.

As for the original poping clicking noise the machanic did not hear it but said it was probably the heat shield on the exhaust, or the high pressure fuel pump for the GDi system. That was until we took a drive together and then got back to the dealer where it was very quiet and there it was a steady pop/click coming from the center stack area just as described. He said that it definatly wasnt sopposed to be there and to him it sounded like a resurculating door wasnt closing properly, he said he wanted me to leave the car with him for awhile so he could pinpoint the noise and solve it but he said it could be a day or more so he would put me in a loaner car. I have some traveling to do for the holidays so I set up another appt on Monday the 29th to drop this off. I figured I would let you guys know what I found thus far and I will definatly post up what else I find

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for following up. I'm interested to see what it turns out to be. Mine is making this noise just as you describe and at the times you describe.

Ray

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife's car does this as well, pretty much since day 1. Use to, we would only hear it when we put it in park but now we are hearing it when we stop at a light, putting it in park, drive-thru, etc., you get the picture. It does sound like metal contracting or expanding so it's probably not going to cause a "problem", however it is very annoying and a brand new car should not have this issue. We are taking the car in Monday for a list of things to be checked out:

1. Recall on steering wheel
2. Popping sound from back passenger side (described above)
3. TPMS light goes on and off, tire pressure doesn't matter. Sensor is bad or something I'm guessing.
4. Car recently started not cranking when she pushes the start button occasionally. Read on here it could be a issue with the brake sensor or something.

Quite a few things, we'll see.

·
Registered
673 Posts
QUOTE (SExy__Sonata @ Nov 19 2010, 08:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373224
I figured I would let you guys know what I found thus far and I will definatly post up what else I find
Yes, please keep us posted. Very interested to see what the issue might be.

QUOTE (Wolf Howl @ Nov 20 2010, 08:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373312
My wife's car does this as well, pretty much since day 1. Use to, we would only hear it when we put it in park but now we are hearing it when we stop at a light, putting it in park, drive-thru, etc., you get the picture. It does sound like metal contracting or expanding so it's probably not going to cause a "problem", however it is very annoying and a brand new car should not have this issue. We are taking the car in Monday for a list of things to be checked out:

1. Recall on steering wheel
2. Popping sound from back passenger side (described above)
3. TPMS light goes on and off, tire pressure doesn't matter. Sensor is bad or something I'm guessing.
4. Car recently started not cranking when she pushes the start button occasionally. Read on here it could be a issue with the brake sensor or something.

Quite a few things, we'll see.
Sorry for your problems. I hope they get it straightened out for you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts