Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with heating my car. I have a manual system in a 2010 Sonata. Sometimes it feels fine, felt good today. But it will change and start to feel cool at times. I saw another thread about poor heating and it mentioned an actuator. I ordered one on the Parts.com website and am being told the actuator is not applicable for my vehicle. Is there an actuator on a manual system? And one other odd thing. If I put the selector on defrost, the A/C light will come on. I punch it off. I'll move the selector and come back to defrost and the A/C light will come on again. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm having a problem with heating my car. I have a manual system in a 2010 Sonata. Sometimes it feels fine, felt good today. But it will change and start to feel cool at times. I saw another thread about poor heating and it mentioned an actuator. I ordered one on the Parts.com website and am being told the actuator is not applicable for my vehicle. Is there an actuator on a manual system? And one other odd thing. If I put the selector on defrost, the A/C light will come on. I punch it off. I'll move the selector and come back to defrost and the A/C light will come on again. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
1) Have you checked the coolant level? Sometimes lack of heat is due to the coolant not reaching the indoor air heating coil high up near your dash.

2) I vaguely remember that my Sonata did the defrost -> A/C on thing too. It makes sense as A/C will dry the (often moist wintry/snowy) air and thus your windshield will not get foggy or form frost on the inside.

In my VC this is not automatic, but I often turn on the A/C in the middle of winter if there is snow near the fresh air intake vents on the hood.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
You can disable the AC with defrost by pushing the recirc button rapidly until the AC led comes on (4-5 times). Then you can toggle the AC on and off after that with the defrost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can very easily overcome any cool air being blown into the passenger compartment by moving the temp selector to a hot temperature whether in the summer or winter. There is much, much more heat available from a warm engine than your A/C will ever be able to overcome.

The reason the A/C comes on in defrost or demist mode is the A/C is used to first dry the air. You will notice in cool weather that the insides of your windshield will fog over from too much humidity inside the car...especially if the selector is set to recirculate the interior air. Typically, in most cars when you select defrost to clear your windshield of ice, frost or inside condensation you need air that has first been dried by the cold heat exchange before being warmed and blown onto the windshield. Sometimes when you first start the engine and turn on the defrost you will actually get a blast of moist air that makes the situation worse before the system can dry the air and begin to evaporate the moisture from the glass. Hwy61

1 - 4 of 4 Posts