Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of us would have preferred to not have to purchase the Panoroof but also be able to purchase the upper end Limited (Tech in US) or Luxury (Premium US) options!

I vote NO to the Panoroof!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
What would be the disadvantages of having a Panoroof? If you don't use it then just close it shut. Whereas if you do not have it then you wouldn't be able to use it on a nice sunny day even if you wanted to.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Structural integrity is much lower with the panaroof! I would prefer to have a stronger chassis!

Ask those who stock car race why you do not see vehicles with a moonroof, sunroof or panaroof on the track!

And the amount of heat that is lost through the glass in the winter!

·
Registered
884 Posts
What would be the disadvantages of having a Panoroof? If you don't use it then just close it shut. Whereas if you do not have it then you wouldn't be able to use it on a nice sunny day even if you wanted to.
Well, if the OP doesn`t WANT the Panoroof, but has to take it because it comes with other hi-end package features that he does want, then one BIG disadvantage is that he`s paying extra for something he doesn`t want...:eek:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Structural integrity is much lower with the panaroof! I would prefer to have a stronger chassis!

Ask those who stock car race why you do not see vehicles with a moonroof, sunroof or panaroof on the track!

And the amount of heat that is lost through the glass in the winter!
glass is a better insulator then the stock metal roof. You sure about this?
And your not stock car racing, and they don't use it probably due to the extra weight... It's a SUV for hauling, not racing. I am sure the Pan roof also has increased body structure supports added.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the pano roof on mine and wouldn't have it any other way. The grandkids love it, it makes for a nice drive on warm starry nights, and it is nice to have a little wind through the hair like in a convertible(although there isn't nearly as much hair left on the head as there once was!)

·
Banned
358 Posts
Pano roof was a selling point
Seriously! I love the fact that it runs the whole roof and you can see it. The Sonata's pano roof is only cut into 2 small sections. What I dont like is that the 2.4L and 2.0T upper models differ in the sound systems and I believe a few other small options. I wanted the 2.4L because my 2.0T motor on my Sonata blew twice and I didn't want it in the Santa Fe.

Also, I am not sure that anyone here is out racing their cars professionally.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I also love my pano roof. All my family and friends love it as well :D but I agree with OP that it would be even better if Hyundai had more configuration options. Some just don't like having any kind of glass on top of their heads.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I love my sunroof! During the winter especially, because I get to keep the shade open and let the sunlight in. (During the Floridian summer, the shade is closed to help keep the car cool and shaded)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Would love to of had the pano roof, but specifically bought a 13 GLS with Nav because it didn't have one. I have a 3year old and a two week old now, and I didn't feel safe putting the kids back there under it. I've read a few stories of it shattering and just didn't feel comfortable with it.. But like I said I would have loved to of had it. 2014 model GLS you are stuck with a pano roof if you want navigation, so that is why I have a 13.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I want all the goodies!!! I'm not concerned with structural rigidity, or heat loss, or whatever else. It's my daily driver not a race car or some 0-60 drag buggy.

I love the wide openness it creates, and amount of light it lets in.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also have a 2013 GLS with navigation/leather and was glad I made that choice when I saw the panoramic sunroof (and quite a bit more money) was required with the 2014 in that configuration. I have no interest in having one and don't need broken glass showering my children if it spontaneously shatters as others here have experienced.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We love our pano. Just wish North Americas model(13) came with the roof rails
I agree about the glass roof holding in the heat. It acts as a greenhouse in the winter here in Ontario. Also a nice resale feature.

·
Registered
759 Posts
That's funny! It's like asking why doesn't a firefighter wear a plastic suit to fight fires!

We're not turning left for 3 hours at 320 MPH, we're driving a CUV.

+1 on loving the pano roof.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought mine with the pano because I wanted it, along with the rest of the package. I do wish they would ala carte the options though I understand their reasons for the packages. From where I sit (literally) in the drivers seat, the view isn't much different from the sunroofs I've had in my other cars and trucks. But all my passengers love the openness of the glass roof. I did have the chance to ride in the back seat on a trip and appreciated the open environment.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You are overthinking this. Most cars are bought off the lot vs. being special ordered, so options have to be fairly standard and based on demand (i.e. what has the best chance of selling). Since most people view a sunroof, and specifically the panoramic sunroof, as a desirable feature, most cars have it.

I bought a Limited vs. GFS in large part because it DID have the pano sunroof. My last 5 or 6 cars have had a sunroof, and I now consider it a mandatory feature of any car I buy. I have never had a problem with leaks, which is the most common drawback to having a sunroof. Yes, leaks can and do happen, but I look it at as any other problem that could come up. They are generally isolated, and impact a relatively small percentage of people.

As far as the pano roof shattering for no reason, there are VERY isolated cases of that happening. It is not a common occurrence at all, and statistically, I would say it is a negligible concern. Keep in mind, that you can read about all kinds of extreme occurrences in all makes of cars (wheels falling off, windshields shattering, bumpers falling off, etc.). That doesn't mean you should be concerned.

Bottom line for me, the upside of having the pano sunroof (fresh air, beautiful natural sunlight from front to back), FAR outweighs the fairly remote possibility of having a problem (leaks, random shattering, etc.).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts