Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased, this Accent, a few weeks ago and have put well over 4000 miles on it... its my commuter. Anyway, it was on the lift in the shop when I bought it and didnt notice the dingy headlights.

I got all my supplies back from the body shop I was working at today and decided I would go ahead and polish my headlights before putting my tools and supplies away.

Here are my results;

1) Mask Headlights
2) Sand with DA 1200 Grit
3) Sand with DA 1500 Grit
4) Buff with Rubbing Compound
5) Buff with Swirl Mark Compound
6) Ta Da!

Before:

After:

Left After , Right Before

350 Posts
Consider applying some kind of UV-proofing. These lenses typically have a coating on them to prevent UV damage. A polish job like this will remove some or all of that coating, so they will regain that cloudy look much faster this time unless you take steps.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Consider applying some kind of UV-proofing. These lenses typically have a coating on them to prevent UV damage. A polish job like this will remove some or all of that coating, so they will regain that cloudy look much faster this time unless you take steps.
On that point, I've found that after a headlight restoration it helps the clearness last if you add something like 'ICE Synthetic Polish' to it.

Either way, Justin324, well done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Usually id clear coat them but I'm gonna vinyl wrap them this time.

Also I used the "Perfect-It" 3m series on a black foam pad.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Very nice. I've attacked my driver's side light a couple times to try and polish it, but I'm pretty sure the fogginess I see is the result of a long-time moisture leak problem. Good thing jobber headlamp assemblies are pretty cheap for these cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts