Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. Having some trouble with our Entourage and hoping for some advice.

We've had this van for 3 weeks now. Last week I took it through one of those automatic car washes, and when I drove out the van was hot. Pulled over, shut it down and waited for it to cool. Started it and it runs fine, but if I turn the AC on it overheats again. After a little checking I see that the cooling fans aren't running.

I've looked and don't see anything obviously wrong under the hood. My son has a code reader, so we plugged it in and got the above message. Is this a result of some control module that has gone south? I've checked the fuses and don't see anything blown. Don't see any loose wiring, but as tight as it is under the hood I may be missing something.

The Entourage was a gift to my family, and is far and away the nicest vehicle we've ever owned. Don't even have the hard plates on it yet and we're having an issue. I'm fairly certain it's a minor problem, but I'm not sure what I should check next.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Howdy all. Having some trouble with our Entourage and hoping for some advice.

We've had this van for 3 weeks now. Last week I took it through one of those automatic car washes, and when I drove out the van was hot. Pulled over, shut it down and waited for it to cool. Started it and it runs fine, but if I turn the AC on it overheats again. After a little checking I see that the cooling fans aren't running.

I've looked and don't see anything obviously wrong under the hood. My son has a code reader, so we plugged it in and got the above message. Is this a result of some control module that has gone south? I've checked the fuses and don't see anything blown. Don't see any loose wiring, but as tight as it is under the hood I may be missing something.

The Entourage was a gift to my family, and is far and away the nicest vehicle we've ever owned. Don't even have the hard plates on it yet and we're having an issue. I'm fairly certain it's a minor problem, but I'm not sure what I should check next.

Ran the car thru a AUTOMATIC CAR WASH... and now it's OVERHEATING!
(Wow- If Hyundai/KIA gets into building Nukes we all have nothing to worry about!)

Don't have any advice on the error code, but:

After degunking the engine on a 2007 with standard water hose (abet at @175 PSI)... and being reasonably carefully. (I've worked on cars for years)

Had two components fail under the under hood.
Seems like KIA, HYUNDAI does not waterproof stuff very well.

(Built by the lowest bidder comes to mind- Cheap stuff)

Anyhow:

From the beginning.
The Hyundai Entourage (2007-2009) was built by KIA. It's the SAME exact Mini-Van beyond minor Cosmetic items as the 2nd generation KIA SEDONA (2006-20012)

Keep that in mind. Also keep the above in mind for parts. Additionally note ordering thru Hyundai is they "upcharge", or price things higher than KIA does.
Example:
A/C Compressor Magnetic Field Clutch (Which engages the A/C Clutch. EG: Makes compressor run)
Was around $78 thru Hyundai, around $42 thru KIA for the EXACT SAME PART. If you need parts look online via the various KIA parts sellers (Try to find one that is a out of state dealer) Out of state dealers will have a online parts division and their prices will be cheaper than local dealer. Once you find out price ask if local dealer will match price. Ask local dealer to add it to their next stock order and you save shipping (But have to pay tax)

Moving on,

The offending part- may dry out a "fix" itself. If it does be aware that it could at any time fail.... and it might result in overheating the engine. Overheating a all aluminum engine is NOT a good thing to do.

(As a suggestion swing by a local KIA shop, say you just got the car- see if the SHOP FOREMAN, or PARTS GUY has a opinion on what could be wrong.- Notice I'd said KIA... you can try Hyundai but the Entourage was a RARE CAR... KIA sold tons more... and it was in production until 2012.)

First thing is to obtain the SERVICE MANUALS for the vehicle.
(That will allow you to trace the wiring, Read about how xyz system works, how to test each component and it should show components location.

PS: You can (sometimes) find the printed versions on auction sites... Rare items these days..

You can obtain "Electronic" versions FREE thru KIA and HYUNDAI directly, get info on what warranty work has been done (For paid work you have to contact dealer which did work) and TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) for the car for FREE thru:

http://www.kiatechinfo.com/

http://www.hmaservice.com/

Only downside to the above is (unless I'm missing something) is they are listed / you download them Chapter by Chapter.

You might be able to obtain a "complied" electronic version which has the (SAME) downloaded chapters with "hotlinks"/ a "Menu" that allows for better navigation. Don't remember where I found that off-hand.

(Menu really isn't needed, just download the PDF from about links and muddle thru.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Additional info, over 20 min edit limit.

Ran the car thru a AUTOMATIC CAR WASH... and now it's OVERHEATING!
(Wow- If Hyundai/KIA gets into building Nukes we all have nothing to worry about!)

Don't have any advice on the error code on what component is being referenced.

Beyond. Turn OFF A/C. On most cars when the car gets sort of hot- Fan1 comes on at low speed. As th temp increases if that fan inst't enough, the 2nd fan comes on. Maybe at a low speed as well, or running faster. If that isn't enough fans go to high speed. (Ramps up)

On Most cars when you turn on A/C it works pretty much the same... and or/ temp points are set lower so AIR can be pulled thru condenser coil, enabling the A/C to cool at speeds below 30 mph +/-. (Translation fans come on sooner, or in tandem)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts