Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I've been finding these forums for my bike very helpful so why not do the car too. So my little car.....driving home from jersey (about an hour and a half) and within the last 2 miles I notice the car just shut off. Not any electronics just the motor. Pulled over and tried to start it an it just cranks prolly no fuel or spark. happened to have my obdII scanner with me. It says camshaft position sensor(po342). Only code in there. Sounds simple enough. Got a new one and put it in. Just cranks. Plugs and wires were done about 3 months ago and I drive about 40 miles a day 5 days a week. I did the timing belt last spring so I opened that back up to make sure the timing hadn't jumped for some stupid reason. It's perfect. Noticed now after doing all of that there is some (a little) oil in the throttle body. I know about blow by and don't think I should have that much at 113k but who knows. Read some threads about the crank position sensor and I'm leaning that way but I don't want to start guessing and wasting time and money. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Crank position will shut down fuel and spark,, we dont know where the crank is for timing values.

If I recall the CKP is a simple pulse generator, makes AC wave form, and can be tested with ohm meter. The last new in bag Hyundai sensor I installed measured 800 ohm I think.. it did not match book value,, so I think the manual is wrong (nothing new for Hyundai)

·
Registered
669 Posts
See my sketch below. There is a good deal more than the crank sensor signal required for the engine to run. I agree; do some testing before throwing parts at the problem.

And.....Be sure to register for FREE access to the Hyundai on-line Shop Manuals. See Sticky.

Jim

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts