Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back in from throwing in a new set of plugs.  Replaced with the usual NGK BKR53S11'.s  I last replaced them around 51,000 miles (have close to 72 on it now.)

Everything looked OK until I pulled the last one (the outside plug on the engine on the driver's side.)  It looks considerably different than the ones I took out, it looks like either something blew out of the head or it got too hot?  The insulator is scorched and the crud that coats the threads traveled up further on this plug than it did the other three.

Haven't had any misfires during the time those plugs were in there.  Did have a tank of bad gas though.

Is this something to worry about, or did I do something wrong when I installed that plug (insufficient torque/etc?) Didn't use a torque wrench last time, but I did this time.  Not comfortable with its accuracy so I'll be looking for a clicky type wrench and retorque them soon.

It's running fine, smooth as ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My guess would be that is wasn't tight enough or some oil found its way out from the valvecover and onto that plug. How does the electrode look compared to the other three?

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The electrodes appear to my untrained eye to be roughly in the same condition. *The one in question is the lower left in the pic.

I went back out and to dobule-check, I retorqued all of them to around 20 lbs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking, but sometimes I get a little paranoid so I thought I would ask.  That one plug was different so something had to be wrong. hahaha

·
Registered
36 Posts
That’s the plug next to the oil fill cap, some oil probably spilled and seeped into the plug tube. I did this to my own car once when doing an oil change in a hurry and spilled some oil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
QUOTE (BurtK @ Oct 4 2010, 06:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360828
That’s the plug next to the oil fill cap, some oil probably spilled and seeped into the plug tube. I did this to my own car once when doing an oil change in a hurry and spilled some oil.
agreed, I found the same thing when changing my plugs and got all paranoid, It looks like fresh oil dripped down there and just burnt off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts