Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me out I've punctured my oil pan on a 2017 i30 I'm wondering if it is made out of aluminium or steel also if I can use a oil pan from a different year is this an easy job to do yourself and if the bolts need to be torque tightened

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Picture of offending part ??

Go to dealer and buy part,, or let dealer do the work

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer wants to charge an huge price was going to do the job myself but just need to know if the oil pan can be welded if it's steel but think it might be aluminium and think that previous models all have the same oil pan

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Punctured a hole?
If it is just a hole then you can drill out the hole to match a tap and tap some threads into it
Then with a bolt that matches, put it in to seal up the hole.

If the puncture is a tear then would replace the oil pan.
Pretty much use aluminum now a days.
Junkyards? Or off the internet? Or dealer item?

Good luck

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Can someone please help me out I've punctured my oil pan on a 2017 i30 I'm wondering if it is made out of aluminium or steel also if I can use a oil pan from a different year is this an easy job to do yourself and if the bolts need to be torque tightened
A magnet would tell you about steel or aluminum. :nerd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi it is made from steel so getting it welded cannot believe how much the Hyundai dealership wanted to charge even just for the silicone gasket can get it for less than $30 they wanted $140 always a good idea to price around as these guys are ripping people off

·
Registered
30 Posts
JB weld is an option as well. To weld that you need to make sure to pull it and clean it thoroughly. If you are going to run a bolt up through it ensure no rotating components will hit that bolt or you'll be in for a bad day.
Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
JB weld is an option as well. To weld that you need to make sure to pull it and clean it thoroughly. If you are going to run a bolt up through it ensure no rotating components will hit that bolt or you'll be in for a bad day.
Dave
Yes, JB Weld or another similar type of epoxy patch should be just fine as long as it's in a place where you can get at it and clean it thoroughly. You won't even have to remove it from the vehicle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Remove it to weld repair and make sure that it doesn't warp during the weld procedure. Check that whatever caused the puncture hasn't damaged the engine. Use a proper gasket to refit - no bodge-up sealant. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just saw your post, don't know where you are located but plenty of i800 owners in the UK have had parts shipped cheaply by Albert Hwang who can be found in facebook hyundai forums he lives in Seoul Korea and is very reasonably priced.
Didn't know of him at the time but I bought a spare wheel winch abroad after mine was cut through and it was a quarter of the price of a UK dealer even with shipping to the UK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts