Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys...hoping to get some useful feedback. In both of these issues, please remember I am a poor grad student; I know that a pro bodyshop job would be the best solution. But, I cannot afford it right now and am hoping to just make these things less visible (but I know I cannot make them invisible!)

2 issues on separate sides of my Hyundai Hybrid Sonata 2011 Sky Metallic Y2U Paint Code

1) Some mo-fo side swiped or did something to my car (way too linear to be a keying...unless they did it with a ruler! ;) ). See pics. I stopped by the body shop I use and the guy there told me just to use the factory touch-up paint pen I had, clearcoat it, then wet sand it. I thought maybe it needed a bit of filler, but he said no. Now, I have put about 15 layers of the paint pen and it still looks indented! What should I do? Should I just keep putting layers on? Should I sand it off, put filler in it, then paint it again? Where the **** is this paint going? It seems like its just falling into the indent and not building up at all!

2) About 5 months ago, I had a mobile detailer just do a touch-up job on some areas on the driver's side of the car (I know, I know...I dont like mobile detailers and I know their work is quite shoddy. But, again, I am a poor grad student and am just looking for something to bide me over). Anyway, this morning, I noticed a bit of rust down by the wheel. So, I taped off the small area, sanded it down, put 2 coats of primer on it, then used the factory paint. Problem is, and this I realized afterwards, the mobile detailer used just a blend of spray paints he bought at AutoZone to appoximate the color. And, he approximated a lot darker than the factory paint is (though it doesnt look bad on the rest of the car because it was blended). When I applied the factory paint, though, it really stands out (ignore the rest of the swirls and imperfections - the flash on the camera embellishes them). Again, what is the best approach? I was thinking of trying to mix a bit of my factory paint with a darker color to get a darker tone. What color should I mix it with...just black? Is this even a good idea?

Thanks everyone for your help! I really take pride in my car and it just sucks that we have careless people that bang their doors, etc into cars...and then, there are just environmental issues (ie. rust) that I guess just cant be avoided. I have no idea why this would rust..there was no exposed metal!

Pics here

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry man, I feel for ya!
Body work is by no means my specialty. On the deep scratch I might try using a brush rather than a paint pen, might let you get a little more volume into the scratch. I'd try to build up a small section of the scratch and see how it looks. Probably end up having to do some sanding too.
Not sure what to tell you on the other one, other than to sand it down and do what the mobile guy did, only with the correct color.
Good luck! Post some pics of what you do.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Tape around it. Wet sand the area, buy the paint in a spray can and spray it. And then spray the clear on it.
It won't be like new but will be better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts